+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Song Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    A little further thinking makes me wonder why we aren't seeing more stuff like Korn, Linkin Park and Nickelback. I mean those are the closest to legitimate heirs from current top-of-the-heap bands to Tommy and the boys.
    Heh... I had been going to post a Linkin Park suggestion yesterday, but I feared looking like an idgit as I'm not too *hip* with the harder rock music.

I'd love to hear "Numb", but not sure how it would work in a 2 minute format. Or Nickelback's "Far Away" or "Savin Me."

Some real Hard Rock ballads would be great! Maybe some "No One Like You" by The Scorpions or "Beth" by KISS or "Every Rose Has it's Thorn" by Poison.

There's a nice page on Power Ballads on wikipedia with the VH1 list of Top 25 Power Ballads - any of these would be great for the Rockstar hopefulls

The good thing about this is that I've spent the morning reliving my youth (I guess you could call me a New Wave Glam Rocker) via wikipedia's huge list of metal pages!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by CC2003 View Post
    I like a lot of Bon Jovi songs and think some of them would be good to hear on this show also, but I doubt it as almost every hard rock band always says they hate Bon Jovi and would refuse to say anything positive or ever admit liking a song.
    Why do other rockers hate Bon Jovi songs? His lyrics are good, his tunes are good, his performance is high-energy, and he is one of the most successful rockers of all times (150 million plus records sold?). If they can have Tonic and other one-hit wonders on the show, why not Bon Jovi?

Some more Bon Jovi suggestions:
    Living on a Prayer
    Dry County (a 10-minute epic - became a smash hit in China!)
    Always (a soft ballad)
    Thank you for loving me (another recent ballad)
    Runaway (uptempo rock)

Anything from RUSH just to test the band. Maybe Limelight, Spirit of Radio or Tom Sawyer as people would at least know those.

Maybe an Audioslave tune, though that would probably destroy anyone who attempted it.

Haven't heard any Pearl Jam yet.

Just hope they stop repeating songs from last (and this) season.

FORT Fan
    Why do other rockers hate Bon Jovi songs? His lyrics are good, his tunes are good, his performance is high-energy, and he is one of the most successful rockers of all times (150 million plus records sold?). If they can have Tonic and other one-hit wonders on the show, why not Bon Jovi?
    Hey, I think you make a great point with the last sentence, but it's just a fact that some bands are just (inexplicably) accepted by other rock bands and fans and some aren't. I feel comfortable in saying that I don't think it would matter how good a song might be or the performance, 95% of rock bands or fans (especially male) would never admit liking a Bon Jovi song. They just aren't perceived as "cool" and are slammed for commercial songs.
    I've seen so many bands trash Bon Jovi I've lost count, members of Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam, Nirvana Metallica, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, and hoards of one hit wonders in their 15 minutes of fame chose to act cool and trash Bon Jovi. Of course, most of them were never heard of again.

By the way, judging from LA Guy's review of the show this week, I think my prediction was dead on. If you choose a Bon Jovi song, you're dead before you even sing a note. Apparently someone this week did choose a Bon Jovi song and was universally trashed by the judges and was even asked "Why would you choose that song?" That's exactly the reaction I thought someone would get if though chose a Bon Jovi song no matter what the performance was like.

FORT Fan
    I'd like to hear: G'n'R: November Rain, Don't Cry, Patience, Sweet Child O' Mine.
    I think the reason we haven't heard any Guns N' Roses is the same as why we suspect we haven't heard any Pearl Jam - -can't get the rights and permission.

Remember, Slash and other ex-GNR members have filed lawsuits against Axl Rose because he wouldn't allow a GNR song to be used in a big budget Hollywood movie and they were pissed because they want the money damnit! So I really doubt Axl would give his consent.

FORT Fan
    CC... to each their own, but I have to tell you that a song that repeats "Rape Me" in it would offend me (a rape victim) to no end. People thinking that the term "rape" is just an innocuous little verb is silly, and it certainly doesn't equate to the term "pimp." Censorship or no censorship; it's a matter of good taste and playing it would not be in good taste. It's right along the lines of allowing songs or video games that talk about killing cops... it's just not done whether the riff is fabulous, it's an awesome rocking song, or not.
    Broadway, you said it, to each their own. I'll just say that the reason why I hate censorship is that what offends you, may not offend me, and what offends me, may not offend you. When you start banning things because someone is offended, it opens it up everything, and before you know it, all sorts of things are banned. If they can't play "Rape Me" on the show, what happens when a devoted Christian calls for the end of Melissa Etheridge songs, and says they were very offended by the performance of "I'm the Only One" a couple of weeks ago because Melissa Etheridge is gay and the song is about a woman desiring a woman? Let's ban that too because someone is disturbed by it. And when a person that's had a family member commit suicide calls for the end of ALL Nirvana songs because it's painful for them because they feel it glorifies suicide, do they give into that too? And what about all of the songs that have drug references and implications? Gee, that could be painful for people trying to be drug addiction. Ban those too!

And my point about the "pimp" song is that a stupid song with no thought behind it can be deemed acceptable, but a song that could have a lot of meaning by it is banned. And certain facets of rock music is all about not giving into censorship. I'd expect the squeaky clean songs that are sure not to offend anyone to be heard on American Idol, but you need to expect a bit more for a rock show. It's the same reason why I prefer small independent movies that will deal with sensitive subjects and taboo matters rather than the big blockbuster hollywood movies with a ton of explosions and mindless comedies.
    Last edited by CC2003; 07-17-2006 at 08:03 PM.

CC.... if you want to believe that songs promoting acts of violence are equal to songs about someone's sexual preference...more power to you. Sure... let's stop all censorship as it apparently serves no purpose.

This may be a rock show, but it's on network television, not cable.

FORT Fan
    if you want to believe that songs promoting acts of violence
    It's not promoting acts of violence...that's not what it's about. And the point is, there are people are equally offended by gays as you are by the word "rape" being used.

Quote Originally Posted by CC2003 View Post
    It's not promoting acts of violence...that's not what it's about. And the point is, there are people are equally offended by gays as you are by the word "rape" being used.
    I think not, but we're never going to get anywhere on that argument when it deals with this specific song. Yes, different people get offended by different things, but there are limits set to what is considered decent for a reason. I strongly disagree to your desire for a lack of censorship, and I'll leave it at that.

The secondary reason I disagree with your suggestion is.... it's just a lyrically challenged song, offensive or not and well-intended meaning or not. It just isn't a challenging enough song for this type of format or competition.

+ Reply to Thread