+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Song Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by coolmite View Post
    Sorry if you missed it Broadway. They have done Helter Skelter, which I thought was pretty good, but that's just me.

Curiously, how old are you? I'm 36. My mom had all of the Beatles albums and I really got into them in college. Could it be you're too young?

I'm still waiting to hear which band from the 60's on has influenced more bands...in your opinion, of course!
    I did completely miss that line in your list... sorry!

I'm 38, so no, not too young at all. Just don't care for the fluff and repetitiveness of The Beatles. To each their own. And coming from that point, I'm not even going to begin to debate with you who has influenced more bands because any analysis of mine will be admittedly biased by my distaste for The Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by LoisLane
    Broadway, say it ain't so!!! First off, there is no comparison between the Beatles and Gaynor. I've heard of people not liking the Beatles...but despising them? What is it you hate so much about them? And everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions--especially my fellow reader of celeb rags --but are you familiar with some of their not as popular songs?
    Sorry, Lois!!! I actually couldn't come up with a decent enough discography of Beatles' tunes to know whether I'm familiar with some of their not-so-popular songs to know whether I might enjoy them. I had never heard Helter Skelter before and obviously didn't know that was a Beatles tune.
    Last edited by Broadway; 08-18-2006 at 04:39 PM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    --as previously mentioned, "Helter Skelter", which was always "hard".
    How about Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. You can rock it out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    ----"Get Back". Listen to the song carefully. You can rock the crap out of this song if you want to with a few changes to the arrangement and vocal delivery style, and it won't ruin the song.
    --"Nowhere Man". A bit of a challenge, but it could be done. The lyrics are very pure, but there is something about the song which would not reject louder more intense music behind it, in my opinion.
    These, few others like Yesterday, and some of the post-Beatles songs like Imagine, could fit the "stripped down" shows they occasionally do on Rockstar. My personal favorite is Octopus' Garden :-)

Broadway, something tells me that you and I have similar tastes in music.
    And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know ~ Kansas

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    Finally... another Queensryche fan!!! I'm dying for one of them to do Breaking the Silence or Jet City Woman, just for my sheer enjoyment. .
    OMG, Queensryche fans! I love them.

I'd love to hear anything off of Operation: Mindcrime, as long as Lukas or Ryan isn't singing.

BlondieGirl

JR... I knew I liked you for a reason. Think we could talk them into having an Operation: Mindcrime theme night???

Have you ever seen the video for Queensryche and Dream Theater's collaboration of "Wont Get Fooled Again"??? They toured together in 2003 and it was the best freaking kickass performance I've seen live in YEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by SurferBlonde View Post
    How about Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. You can rock it out too.

These, few others like Yesterday, and some of the post-Beatles songs like Imagine, could fit the "stripped down" shows they occasionally do on Rockstar. My personal favorite is Octopus' Garden :-)
    "Stripped down" kind of means "not rocked", I think. This really depends on what we are looking for. I'm trying to find songs that could actually "be crushed", since that seems to be important to this band. If there is a human being on the face of the planet who could crush "Yesterday" or "Octopus' Garden" I'd like to meet them. Using "Get Back" again as an example, you don't have to strip that song down. You can build on it and add more and louder music behind it.

Could "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" be rocked out? Parts of it, maybe. But I'm a bit skeptical. A good part of the song is too mellow.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Regular
    I don't think they could get the rights to the Beatles, Zep, etc. I'd be really happy to hear some Stone Roses, but most people have never heard of them.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    JR... I knew I liked you for a reason. Think we could talk them into having an Operation: Mindcrime theme night???

Have you ever seen the video for Queensryche and Dream Theater's collaboration of "Wont Get Fooled Again"??? They toured together in 2003 and it was the best freaking kickass performance I've seen live in YEARS!
    I'd love a theme night

You like Dream Theater too? I think we might be soulmates

I haven't seen the video, but I'll go look for it.

Queensryche: The Art of Live DVD has it.

We followed them around for 4 straight concerts in CT, NY, and NJ. The bands carried equal billing and each night the bands would switch who was the opener/closer... and they'd also switch up their combined encores. IIRC, the DVD has both Wont Get Fooled and Comfortably Numb. James LaBrie and Geoff Tate have such similar, complimentary styles.

I also got to go to Mike Portnoy's "Hammer of the Gods" concert at BBKings in NYC that year!!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SurferBlonde View Post
    Why are Supernova recycling most of the songs from Rockstar: INXS? INXS was a rock & roll band, but Tommy, Gilby, and Jason are heavy metal guys from Motley Crue, Guns N Roses, and Metallica. Why don't they get the rockers to do some of their own metal tracks (hair metal too)? Here are some of my recommendations (include both upbeat tracks and mellow ballads), what's yours?

Motley Crue - Girls, girls, girls - Tommy's favorite???
    Motley Crue - Wild Side
    Metallica - Enter Sandman
    Metallica - One
    Def Leppard - Photograph
    Def Leppard - Love Bites
    Def Leppard - Long Long Way to Go
    Black Sabbath - Iron Man
    Ozzy Osborne & Lita Ford - Close My Eyes Forever
    Guns N Roses - November Rain
    Guns N Roses - Don't Cry
    Bon Jovi - Have A Nice Day
    Bon Jovi - It's My Life
    Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    Journey - Seperate Ways
    Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane
    Van Halen - Why Can't This Be Love

Added later: Okay, so I missed the first few minutes when Gilby said they they are not going to be a heavy metal group. But it seems to me that Tommy et al. want to be the dirty, filthy band that they always were! So go figure! Anyway, other types of song recommendations are also welcome! Maybe I should also add some The Doors, The Who, Led Zep, etc.
    Good taste in music.I can see Dilana doing "Enter Sandman",Magni doing "One"....................A lso where's Kiss and AC/DC???

+ Reply to Thread