+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Song Recommendations

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    You're seriously surprised????
    Actually, yeah. I am. They're not metal, obviously, but name another band that has more influence on British or American rock music since 1960.

Speaking for myself, of course, I DESPISE The Beatles. I seriously cannot think of one song that I would deliberately turn on or turn up.

And I just can't imagine anyone just out of the blue suggesting that they wish someone would sing a Beatles song on RS: Supernova. It would be paramount to requesting Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive."

And it's interesting that you brought it up and then didn't even request one yourself.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Newbie
    Speaking for myself, of course, I DESPISE The Beatles. I seriously cannot think of one song that I would deliberately turn on or turn up.

And I just can't imagine anyone just out of the blue suggesting that they wish someone would sing a Beatles song on RS: Supernova. It would be paramount to requesting Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive."

And it's interesting that you brought it up and then didn't even request one yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolmite's list of Beatles songs
    Beatles--"Come Together", "Day Tripper", "Helter Skelter", "Hey Jude", "LSD", "Magical Mystery Tour", "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "Revolution", "Taxman", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
    Sorry if you missed it Broadway. They have done Helter Skelter, which I thought was pretty good, but that's just me.

Curiously, how old are you? I'm 36. My mom had all of the Beatles albums and I really got into them in college. Could it be you're too young?

I'm still waiting to hear which band from the 60's on has influenced more bands...in your opinion, of course!
    Last edited by coolmite; 08-18-2006 at 03:03 PM. Reason: adding

Quote Originally Posted by coolmite View Post
    I can't believe not one person wants to hear a Beatles song on this board! NOT ONE! Unbelievable.
    Beatles--"Come Together", "Day Tripper", "Helter Skelter", "Hey Jude", "LSD", "Magical Mystery Tour", "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "Revolution", "Taxman", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
    Firstly, Beatles songs by and large are not very heavy in the "rocking" department. They are great songs, but with the exception of the occasional "Helter Skelter" (which I believe MAY have been on this show in the past), they are a bit subtle for head banging. Something like "Hey Jude" may, in fact, be a better test of true singing skill than most other songs, but is it even close to appropriate in this venue? "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" takes less singing skill, but then you don't have EITHER energy or a pure sounding song. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is a lovely song, but isn't that more of a show-off song for lets say... Gilby... instead?

Secondly, second only to Stevie Wonder, they have been overdone in the remake department. I suppose they've been rare on Reality shows due to licensing, but you hear remakes and covers in lots of other places. And they pretty much are never all that good compared to good 'ol John, Paul, Ringo and Georgey's versions. And getting back to that licensing thing, I have to think that Michael Jackson, or whoever actually owns those songs now, probably wants a big chunk of change to allow them on TV. On tribute albums, sure, you hear them all of the time. In TV commercials, maybe. But on a reality show? I hear the phrase "ka-ching" in my head just thinking about it.

I actually have a funny mental vision of Ryan doing "The Ballad of Rocky Raccoon" in my head now. Imagine that! Or maybe Toby doing it with a megaphone.
    Last edited by Krom; 08-18-2006 at 03:44 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    And they pretty much are never all that good compared to good 'ol John, Paul, Ringo and Georgey's versions.
    You're spot on with that, Krom!

Broadway, say it ain't so!!! First off, there is no comparison between the Beatles and Gaynor. I've heard of people not liking the Beatles...but despising them? What is it you hate so much about them? And everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions--especially my fellow reader of celeb rags --but are you familiar with some of their not as popular songs?

I wasn't around for the first wave of Beatlemania but my older brother and sister had ALL their records (yes, back in the day when they were actually LPs!) and not only did I love their music, but I really, really like how they helped shape rock 'n' roll. The Beatles aren't all "She Loves You" or "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (which I love, by the way).

Take a song of theirs like "Oh Darling." Yes, it's a ballad of sorts, but it's not a quiet song. Listen as McCartney sings it--gut wrenching--and way more "rock" than the SuperNova track they debuted a couple nights ago. Then there's "Revolution" (1, not 9...Number 9, Number 9, Number 9...), "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", "Happiness Is a Warm Gun."

There were lots of artists writing and singing their own songs (think of some early African American stars) but the Beatles pretty much upped the ante for bands that were relying on others to write their music for them.

Tommy Lee should be so lucky to have licked Ringo's shoe bottom. (Why do I get the feeling he actually wouldn't mind doing that?!)

(Still love ya, Broadway. You know that, right? )
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 08-18-2006 at 04:07 PM. Reason: To put some items in "bold"

Okay, I will put some thought into it and pick out the FEW Beatles songs which can actually be changed up and done "hard". I consider this an intellectual exercise, since they probably won't be on this show.

--as previously mentioned, "Helter Skelter", which was always "hard".
    --"Get Back". Listen to the song carefully. You can rock the crap out of this song if you want to with a few changes to the arrangement and vocal delivery style, and it won't ruin the song.
    --"Come Together". See "Get Back". It's another song which can be "opened up" instrumentally without changing the essential nature of the song. Soundgarden, in fact, did a decent hard rock cover of this song several years ago.
    --"Nowhere Man". A bit of a challenge, but it could be done. The lyrics are very pure, but there is something about the song which would not reject louder more intense music behind it, in my opinion.
    --"A Hard Day's Night". And this one is pushing it. But I think its at least possible.

I think Happiness Is A Warm Gun could be Supernova-fied fairly easily. Maybe not well, but easily.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    I think Happiness Is A Warm Gun could be Supernova-fied fairly easily. Maybe not well, but easily.
    Absolutely Amanda! I could see Magni or Dilana doing wonders with this song. Ryan could probably do it, too, but it'd sound like "Losing My Religion is In the Air Tonight."

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    Yeah. I could see it now.

"Get Back" and "Come Together" are still the best candidates, I think. But yes.

I definitely think most of their early career songs are out, except for the few where they had a lot of blues influence (think "Twist and Shout" or "Long Tall Sally", neither of which they even wrote themselves). The "Love Me Do" and "Can't Buy Me Love" type songs would be horrible with this treatment. Maybe... "I'm A Loser" could work, since its very different from a lot of what they did around then.

Around Rubber Soul/Revolver, most of the stuff is ballads. Norwegian Wood is NOT going to "rock out" anyone, right? About the only one I can think of might be "Taxman". And I see coolmite DID mention that one.

Getting to the late-middle of their career, most of the songs are too psychedelic or trippy to hard rockify. They would sound ridiculous. Maybe... "Baby You're A Rich Man" from Magical Mystery Tour.

Getting around "The White Album" some stuff opens up, but its mixed equally with stuff that's even trippier than before. It just occurs to me that we are all missing "Back In The USSR", which in fact HAS been redone as a really hard rock song a few times and was already kind of "hard".

"Let It Be" (the album, not the song) was another sound change for them, so that's why it has a few possibilities, like "Get Back".

Still, none of this changes me feeling that there's very little chance any of this would be done well. And also, I'm still puzzled by the "Hey Jude"/"Maxwell's Silver Hammer"/"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" type suggestions. I just don't see songs like that as adaptable in this way.
    Last edited by Krom; 08-18-2006 at 04:24 PM.

You know a LOT more about the Beatles than I do, Krom.

I agree about Hey Jude. I can't imagine any way of changing it up that would do it any justice. On the other hand, one of my all-time favorite remakes is the Red House Painters version of Kiss's "Shock Me". Red House Painters turned it into a ballad (!), which, if you haven't heard it, sounds ridiculous. It turned out beautifully, though.

ETA: Nobody on that show is any Mark Kozelek, though.

+ Reply to Thread