+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing Canadians

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi View Post
    I'm the biggest flag waver you'll ever encounter, but why does it matter?

This is an individual competition with international contestants. They are there to win a spot in a band, not to win some sort of award for Canada.

I don't know why anyone would feel ashamed of them.
    It's because we're a self concious bunch. I mean, there frequently seems to be some TV channel news program up here doing a story on how tourists view Canada and Canadians and whether or not we're nice and if they like us and that the countryside is clean. It seems that knowing ourselves that we, on a whole, are nice etc., isn't enough. There seems to be this need for repetitive confirmation of this. Frankly, I get sick of it and find it embarassing. But I digress and am essentially off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak View Post
    It's because we're a self concious bunch. I mean, there frequently seems to be some TV channel news program up here doing a story on how tourists view Canada and Canadians and whether or not we're nice and if they like us and that the countryside is clean. It seems that knowing ourselves that we, on a whole, are nice etc., isn't enough. There seems to be this need for repetitive confirmation of this. Frankly, I get sick of it and find it embarassing. But I digress and am essentially off topic.
    Right on, bruddah! I know I'm nice(ish). And I know I'm clean(ish). So does Mr. Rattus. That's all that matters.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Well, at least this show is dispelling the myth that we're all humble and nice, but I still hope Lukas drowns in his eyeliner.

SaltySeaHag: CI is bad this year

Rock Star INXS was great. This year, I think our singers are ok, but don't expect either will actually win.

I'm not ashamed of our contestants, just agree that we probably have better people somewhere. Question is where? And why didn't they try out or didn't they qualify to try out? Who knows? Why risk what you might have that's great by being on a reality show?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander View Post
    Well, at least this show is dispelling the myth that we're all humble and nice, but I still hope Lukas drowns in his eyeliner.
    Ha! It is showing Canada's dark and arrogant underbelly to the world, isn't it?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

just when you escape... raisingrrrl's Avatar
    Okay, so maybe I was a bit harsh with saying that the Canadians are dissapointing.

I think it was more about giving Canada a recognition in the world of rock.

Sure, I mean we have Neil Young and The Guess Who and other amazing Canadian Rock talent in our history. But, currently Canada's excellent rockers are not given airplay outside of Canada and a platform like this could showcase how incredibly talented Canada is and that we aren't all about Nickleback and Brian Adams (I know that I am generalizing... sue me). Last time around, we got to show that Canada has a great pool of talent... this year, not the same. Thus, I post a topic.

[Example? Billy Talent - amazing Canadian Rock band who are not getting recognition south of the border, but they should. Same with Three Days Grace.... and there are countless others]

Quote Originally Posted by raisingrrrl View Post
    Okay, so maybe I was a bit harsh with saying that the Canadians are dissapointing.

I think it was more about giving Canada a recognition in the world of rock.

Sure, I mean we have Neil Young and The Guess Who and other amazing Canadian Rock talent in our history. But, currently Canada's excellent rockers are not given airplay outside of Canada and a platform like this could showcase how incredibly talented Canada is and that we aren't all about Nickleback and Brian Adams (I know that I am generalizing... sue me). Last time around, we got to show that Canada has a great pool of talent... this year, not the same. Thus, I post a topic.

[Example? Billy Talent - amazing Canadian Rock band who are not getting recognition south of the border, but they should. Same with Three Days Grace.... and there are countless others]
    Hey don't forget about Rush. And even though she ain't hard rock she still is one of the bigger stars in the musical universe... Shania Twain.

just when you escape... raisingrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Hey don't forget about Rush. And even though she ain't hard rock she still is one of the bigger stars in the musical universe... Shania Twain.

I knew the moment that I posted that that people would say "what about.... and what about...." WELL WHAT ABOUT PAUL ANKA?!!!

In all seriousness, my point wasn't about how many famous Canadians have inundated the American market -- its about opening up how wicked indie ROCK is in Canada.

Sorry to have misunderstood what is evidently a sore subject. But, if I were you I'd keep the Paul Anka thing quiet.

PSSST! Gordon Lightfoot...

Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post
    It's only the second week; and, as of right now, you've seen the new batch of Rockers perform one song! At this point last season, Tara had done Middle of the Road (pretty good), Suzie had botched Remedy, and JD had spazzed out on American Woman. Both Suzie & JD were nearly eliminated for their performances.

On the second show: Tara made a bad song choice with the Eagles' Take It Easy, and Suzie did a decent (though hardly stellar) version of Call Me. Of the 3, JD gained the most with his terrific performance of California Dreamin' (which garnered the first encore of the season).

I just think it's too soon to make any definitive statements about this season's cast vs. last. Personally, I think this season's group is just as talented, if not more so, than last season's. Of the 2 Canadians: Jenny does nothing for me, but I really do like Lukas and think he is uniquely talented. But my opinions of either one could still shift in the weeks ahead. Last season, I didn't start liking Suzie until almost the mid-way point. Her early performances (which included Roxanne, Superstition, and Get Back) did nothing to grab me.

P.S. You left Deanna off of your list of Canadians. Since RS:INXS, I've seen her perform a couple times in small gigs and she is outstanding.
    I've HEARD them do more than one though, between what was on the broadcast show, the Internet show, and their own websites.

While I might agree this crop was worse than last year's if all I was looking at was the men, the women counterbalance that more than adequately. Last year there was ONE really good woman--Suzie. This year there are four times that number. That's not bad. Last year there were maybe... three really decent guys. This year maybe... two. Again, not so bad for this year's numbers.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast