+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 7/06 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar
    I was surprised by the choice to get rid of Matt. They said that of the bottom 3: Chris didn't have the vocals, Phil didn't have the performance, and Matt didn't make a good song choice. Performing and choosing songs can be taught, but if you don't have a decent voice, you don't have a decent voice. That is much harder to work with. And, if they were just making a point about it being about song choice and Matt didn't do what they wanted, they should have equally been irritated with Chris by his ridiculous attempt to say that he did the right thing by destroying "Roxanne" last night. If it was such a good performance, why are you in the bottom 3? He should have been man enough to admit that he ruined the song and he won't do it again.

I think they were so stunned by the Duran Duran song choice and his defense of it, they had to axe Matt. It kind of goes against their hard rock theme. It would have been different if he had torn it up like Marty did last year with Britney Spears' "Hit me baby, one more time", but he really didn't change it up enough. Personally, I thought Chris was the worst, I don't think he'll last much longer.
    Last edited by tekcat; 07-06-2006 at 10:55 PM.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tekcat View Post
    It would have been different if he had torn it up like Marty did last year with Britney Spears' "Hit me baby, one more time", but he really didn't change it up enough. Personally, I thought Chris was the worst, I don't think he'll last much longer.
    I don't remember for sure but didn't INXS stick him with that song last year to get him out of his "modern" song element? Or did Marty actually choose to sing that song? I thought it was the former. I was hoping Matt would make it further this season, him being another Chicago boy and all.

OK, did anyone else think that Chris looks like Stavros Nachos (or whatever his name is)--that Greek billionaire-heir who dated Mary-Kate Olsen and Paris Hilton? His version of LA WOMAN...ugh! Horrible. Phil--Don't remember what he sang but remember it being really wimpy. Matt's version of PLANET EARTH--not a good chioce considering who he was auditioning for. I thought all 3 had really weak voices and don't have rock star potential.

Dilana--I was all hyped up about her and then I heard her rendition of Nirvana... Um, I know there're her friends on here and I'm sure she's very talented... but the whole performance (to me) was over the top and histrionic... And not worthy of a Nirvana song. It's not that I don't think anyone should tackle a Nirvana song... but there are some songs out there that are soooooooooo well known that you'd better be able to handle it. And I don't think she did. (Just like I don't think Chris had a clue about what to do with ROXANNE.)

Brooke--um, did her chest look bigger than last season? Her girls looked like they were trying to escape tonight!

I guess I still have really fond memories of last season's show... I'll have to watch next week to see if I warm up to any of these new kids, I guess. But so far, I'm pretty disappointed in it. I had more fun reading Manny's and LAGuy's recaps than watching the show tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet View Post
    You know, it's going to be harder to warm up to this group of rockers if we're not seeing their interaction in the house. The little snippets aren't going to cut it.
    You know, I was thinking the same thing. Mr. Lois Lane walked in near the end (he doesn't like the show) and we were talking about how awesome the house band is! THEY are rock stars!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-06-2006 at 11:57 PM. Reason: So I'm not doubleposting

Yes, INXS stuck Marty with that song.

And I'm hoping I warm up to these new rockers too. I'm a big fan of last year's show.

You know, it's going to be harder to warm up to this group of rockers if we're not seeing their interaction in the house. The little snippets aren't going to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet View Post
    You can watch the reality show online on msn.

Oh, I have watched it. It's just not going to be the same as it was last year when there were the three shows a week. Not everyone is able to access the show online, and that's kind of sad and limiting.

I'm a little confused, maybe someone can explain to me what is going on.
    In Manny's 7-5 recap: "Gilby CLarke said that Supernova is not going to be a heavy metal band".
    Ok, so why are the contestants expected to rock? I know I must be missing something.

They aren't going to be heavy metal; they're going to be a "rock" band.

Yes, there's a difference between "heavy metal" and "hard rock." Metal has evolved to mean the loud, hard, fast thrash that you hear on Headbanger's Ball or, in the case of these guys, could evoke images of the '80s hair-metal bombast. I think they're moving away from that sort of image.

Hard rock is basically your traditional, blues-based rock cranked up a little louder, sort of like The Black Crowes or other groups of that ilk.

+ Reply to Thread