+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 7/06 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Here we go. This is from allmusic.com, my favorite music reference site:

Hard rock generally prizes big, stadium-ready guitar riffs, anthemic choruses, and stomping, swaggering backbeats; its goals are usually (though not universally) commercial, and it's nearly always saturated with machismo. With some bands, it can be difficult to tell where the dividing line between hard rock and heavy metal falls, but the basic distinction is that ever since Black Sabbath, metal tends to be darker and more menacing, while hard rock (for the most part) has remained exuberant, chest-thumping party music. Additionally, while metal riffs often function as stand-alone melodies, hard rock riffs tend to outline chord progressions in their hooks, making for looser, more elastic jams should the band decide to stretch out instrumentally.
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:217

They are rooted in the same types of music (The Kinks, Cream, Jimi Hendrix) but later split off. Does that help?
    Last edited by Mantenna; 07-07-2006 at 12:19 AM.

FORT Fogey
    Matt deserved to go. After being told to pick something dirtier, he picks Duran Duran? Seriously, its a good band, but hardly dirty and hardly what they are looking for, for Supernova. It was just a dumb move on his part.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tekcat View Post
    You can watch the reality show online on msn.
    Sadly, I can't. I tried last night, all I got was "error on page" and it wouldn't load. Thought it was the firewall, so I turned it off, same result. No online show for me.

I thought Matt got robbed. SO should have been Chris, his voice is awful, his look is awful, his style is awful. But then, I could be biased, because I'm a huge Duran Duran fan. (Although when he said he was going to rock up a D2 song, I was expecting... not sure what I was expecting. Not "Planet Earth", though.)

Quote Originally Posted by iced_spice View Post
    Sadly, I can't. I tried last night, all I got was "error on page" and it wouldn't load. Thought it was the firewall, so I turned it off, same result. No online show for me.

I thought Matt got robbed. SO should have been Chris, his voice is awful, his look is awful, his style is awful. But then, I could be biased, because I'm a huge Duran Duran fan. (Although when he said he was going to rock up a D2 song, I was expecting... not sure what I was expecting. Not "Planet Earth", though.)
    You have to be a Microsoft robot to use MSN. That means the combination of PC, Windows and Internet Explorer only. No other kind of computer, operating system or web browser.

In other words, to watch Rock Star online you have to risk infecting your computer with Spyware and viruses, but oh well. Small sacrifice!

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister View Post
    Nope. I didn't like his performance either. And I don't really like his style or attitude either.
    I'm with you.

☆ Janie Queen of BB cottoncandy's Avatar
    I think that if Matt had picked something more hard rock, he would still be in the competition, because he sounded far better than Phil, and better than Chris. At this stage, they probably just didn't think Matt was in their top favorites, and didn't mind sacrificing him over the other 2 because this way they could make their point about the importance of song selections.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    You've gotta be kidding me!! They chose to let Chris Stay?
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

They are morons, pure and simple. I can already tell I won't be buying Supernova's album when it comes out. I like some of the talent, but miss INXS's balence greatly.

Chris has no voice, he should go. Phil has no stage presence.

I don't like your choice so you should go??? My bleeding ears thank you guys!
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

When Matt brought the 'dirty' with Duran Duran I looked at my husband and declared his suicide. He could have chosen ANY SONG, was specifically told to bring the dirty tonight, and he chose Duran Duran? WTH???? It only further served to drive the nails further into his coffin when he declared his long time love of said band. One must remember that Supernova is the anti pretty boy band. And they are obviously looking at who these rookies influences are and if they line up ideologically with theirs. Too bad because Matt had the far more superior voice and performance of the three. Frankly he's pi$$ed me off, his poor choice ensures that I have to listen to these two posers another week.

Yes Lukas is a jerk. But frankly so was JD. I see alot of similarities between the two (conspiracy theories aside for now). Supernova needs a big time ego (that can bring the goods) not some mamby pamby pushover. Look at the ego's on some of our biggest rock stars......not exactly wallflowers.
    Dilana and Lucas are my odds on favorites for now.

LKH
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    I must have been the only one to hate Luka's performance last night.
    No, no, you are not the only one! Hated his performance. Plus he looks like Peter Lorre after a ten-day drunken binge. I really, really, REALLY hope he goes away soon.

So far, my picks for this band are Dilana and Storm. I like Storm a little better, mainly because I think she's going to be a bit more versatile. But Dilana made an amazingly bold choice, both in the song she picked (which almost guaranteed comparisons to Marty last season) and in her chilling, unique performance.

I also think the blonde with the straight hair (forgot her name) has an amazing voice, but I don't see her fronting this band.

+ Reply to Thread