+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Men vs. Women

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CC2003 View Post
    Marty did a Britney Spears song and didn't get this kind of backlash, they've done Bob Marley and REM songs which aren't exactly rock songs.
    Hey CC2003, you made some great points and thanks for filling in the timeline for the various bands and their projects. Marty didn't get backlash 'cause he didn't choose to do a Spears song--they told him to sing it (I believe) 'cause INXS got tired of him doing all the new, modern songs and wanted to see what he could do with a total bubblegum song. He did make it his own, so kudos to him for that! I don't think INXS was expecting him to deliver like he did.

And all this talk about Duran Duran...I for one really enjoyed them "back in the day" and saw them in concert a few times. (John Taylor's still hot!) They had some great pop songs!

It's not that I think the guys in SuperNova are completely without talent. It's just that none of them were the leads of the bands they were in. So you have guys who played second (or third or fourth) fiddle in their original bands as the "stars" of SuperNova. So I guess what I'm saying is the whole thing seems more forced than last season...because it is. That said, I will still watch next week's episode.

JR.
    I don't understand all the backlash on here for doing a Duran Duran song. I think it's people just trying to act too cool.
    I think it was the fact that he did it poorly after he was asked to do a heavier song.

FORT Newbie
    women have really came up in the world of music! i hear more and more female artist every day it seems.. on that note i say HELL YEA to talented women..

just when you escape... raisingrrrl's Avatar
    I don't understand all the backlash on here for doing a Duran Duran song.

I like to hear the song differently rather than the exact same thing as the original.
    I don't think that's the point here -- It's the first week of the competition and they are looking for someone who fits their ideal of a lead singer, someone who will influence the shape of Supernova.

I didn't know the song Planet Earth, but I thought Matt did an OK job -- but he's IS NOT right for Supernova... that being said I have NO IDEA why they kept Phil around because he will NOT fit Supernova either!!!!!

Whether it's the rocked up version of REM's Losing My Religion last season or the opposite, such as Tori Amos' piano version for Smells Like Teen Spirit
    And I just wanted to give you kudos... Tori Amos rocks and I love it when others acknowledge her musicianship.

FORT Regular
    I agree that this year's show seems stacked with female talent! The women blew these guys out! I hated Lukas and Chris, and was indifferent to Magni and Matt. I agree,Marty Casey would do well with THIS band,not INXS. I can see there would be label pressure to have a female front this band...look at the Black eyed Peas...very below the radar but solid rap group gone "supernova" after adding a female singer....nothing succeeds in the music industry like a PROVEN formula. Also, alot of the big rock oriented songs on the charts lately have been by women singers. Anyway,ladies rule on the show for now!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123