+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Men vs. Women

No question, the men are way behind this time. Kind of showed last night when five of the six on the chopping block were men...

I can't say I was all that impressed by any of the guys, but I thought several of the women were standouts.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

MRD
    I think the fix is already in to choose a woman or why else would they stack the deck with some really GOOD and talented women against the entire lot of mediocre talented men.

With the exception of Zayra and the blond, Jenny, I think, the women ROCKED!
    The men??? Meh, don't even know most of their names except Chris who sucked and Lukas who I don't like for many reasons.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fan
    I find it impossible to believe that they couldn't find better guys for this? All of the auditions they had and this is the best of what they saw? I find that hard to believe.

I think the only guy that I could possibly see winning is Lukas. He seems to be so extreme that people either love him or hate him, but I don't think there's another guy who even has a remote possibility of winning and that's pretty pathetic.

Either it's true that the fix is in, that they really want a woman to win or the people responsible for listening to the auditions and selecting the contestants did a piss poor job.

FORT Fan
    By the way, I think Marty from last season was a year too early. I liked him much better than JD, but Marty was too dark/heavy/hard rock for INXS. Supernova would have been a much better fit, and I think this years competition would be much more interesting if we had more guys that this year.

I agree a woman will win. Dilana's stage performance was huge and she can sing.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CC2003 View Post
    By the way, I think Marty from last season was a year too early. I liked him much better than JD, but Marty was too dark/heavy/hard rock for INXS. Supernova would have been a much better fit, and I think this years competition would be much more interesting if we had more guys that this year.
    Marty's too talented for Supernova on just about every level, but particularly in terms of both singing and songwriting (in my opinion, of course). The songs he writes have more melody than the bands these other guys sprung from and I think they're actually looking for a "harder" element.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure one of you will! ), but Tommy, Gilby and Jason weren't the creative masterminds behind any of their original bands, right? I have no idea who wrote Motley Crue's songs (was it Vince Neil? Did Tommy write them as well?), but Axl Rose and Slash were the primaries in Guns 'n Roses (and didn't Gilby join the band after an original member quit?) and James and Lars from Metallica were the primaries--not Jason. So there's no real leader of this band to begin with -- but I can guess that they don't want the winner of this season's contest bossing them around. They want someone who can sing, but who they can still "control." I don't think that's Marty.

Mark my words--Supernova will not be around for the long haul. I predict a year, maybe two, tops.

FORT Fan
    I'm not sure if Marty was a year too early but after seeing Matt's two performances and what happened to him I'm thinking he might have been a year too late. Not that he would have won last year but I think it would have been easier for him to hang around longer. Thanks

FORT Fan
    Lois, you're right about them not being the creative cogs in their bands, although I think all members of Motley Crue were credited with writing their songs (not the lyrics though). And Gilby Clarke didn't ever even record with Guns N' Roses (except for their cover album). GNR wrote and recorded Use Your Illusions with Izzy Stradlin (whom Gilby replaced) but he quit before the tour, and Gilby joined then for the tour (which lasted years and years) -- hence his comment about playing Knockin on Heaven's door 9 million times.

I don't think it's fair to say they aren't talented though. I think they're all pretty talented at what they do. Although I do think they should let the person they choose write the songs or at least have a say, rather than "here are the songs we wrote, sing them".

By the way, has any of them said that Supernova is a long term project? It seems like Motley Crue still tours every few years.

Also, about Marty not being heavy enough for them, I disagree. I think people are hearing the word Metallica and are getting the wrong impression. That's what Gilby meant when he said they don't want to be a heavy metal band. Some of Metallica's popular songs weren't really metal, and the stuff Gilby played with GNR wasn't all that heavy either. I think Marty was plenty hard rock enough for what they're looking for. I think they're just looking for someone with an edge and kind of dark -- most of Marty's performances on the show fit with that, in my opinion.

I also wonder if another factor that some of the guys seem so weak for this show is the fact that I believe some or most of the auditions for this show were done even before Tommy, Gilby and Jason signed up, so the people trying out didn't even know what band they would be joining which makes a big difference. What fits with an INXS type band would not fit here, that's why I think some of the guys seem so out of place. For example, I thought Josh in particular seemed way too happy and smiley for this band, he would have fit in better with something more along the INXS ilk.

FORT Fan
    I'm not sure if Marty was a year too early but after seeing Matt's two performances and what happened to him I'm thinking he might have been a year too late. Not that he would have won last year but I think it would have been easier for him to hang around longer. Thanks
    I actually missed the elimination show, but was he the one that did a Duran Duran song? I don't understand all the backlash on here for doing a Duran Duran song. I think it's people just trying to act too cool. Hell, there are a lot of songs done by people and bands that aren't true rockers. Marty did a Britney Spears song and didn't get this kind of backlash, they've done Bob Marley and REM songs which aren't exactly rock songs. Some people just tend to pick certain things and say they're uncool, so and so did that song so let's trash them.

If you can make something sound good, then I say play it no matter if they original band had credibility with this audience (or Supernova) or not. Besides, I like it when people take a pop song and rock it up as Gilby said. I love hearing different versions of songs it's interesting. Whether it's the rocked up version of REM's Losing My Religion last season or the opposite, such as Tori Amos' piano version for Smells Like Teen Spirit or Johnny Cash's take on Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" (the best cover of a song ever in my opinion. If people are going to cover someone elses song, I like to hear the song differently rather than the exact same thing as the original.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast