+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Rock Star: Supernova" Presents Exclusive Online Premiere July 3

"Rock Star: Supernova" Presents Exclusive Online Premiere July 3

Thursday, June 29, 2006
    MSN Presents the Ultimate in Online Rock 'n' Roll: "Rock Star: Supernova" Premieres July 5 Only on MSN
    Released by Microsoft

MSN Presents the Ultimate in Online Rock 'n' Roll: "Rock Star: Supernova" Premieres July 5 Only on MSN

Exclusive online programming and special live events mark the return of the hit CBS series.

REDMOND, Wash., June 29 -- MSN today announced the premiere of online programming for "Rock Star: Supernova," the new season of the hit reality series returning to CBS in a special 90-minute broadcast on Wednesday, July 5 at 8 p.m. EDT/PDT. Before its broadcast premiere, "Rock Star: Supernova" -- produced by Mark Burnett Productions and seen last season by more than 6 million TV viewers each week -- will premiere only on MSN(R) the morning of July 3, available on demand at the official series Web site (http://rockstar.msn.com).

For the first time, weekly behind-the-scenes episodes containing all original footage will be streamed exclusively on the Web on MSN. Just as in season one, four types of content will be available each week: extensive and immersive behind-the-scenes unscripted drama (produced exclusively for MSN); one performance show and one results show (both produced exclusively for CBS); and extensive original wireless content. The MSN behind-the-scenes unscripted drama will allow viewers to learn what it takes for the contestants to choose their songs and prepare for their weekly performances, and to follow the characters as they develop and grow under enormous pressure. It will be available at http://rockstar.msn.com, enabling on-demand viewing via streaming. In addition, a sneak peek at the trailer, video interviews with Supernova, the rockers' bios and much more as part of the MSN-exclusive online content will be available on the site.

The second season of "Rock Star" features an all-star lineup of rock musicians who have joined forces to form a new supergroup called Supernova. Drummer Tommy Lee of Motley Crue, former Metallica guitarist Jason Newsted and former Guns N' Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke will be casting for a lead singer from a pool of 15 contestants selected in auditions across the U.S.

MSN content, which greatly increased the reach of the show last season by streaming more than 20 million videos and receiving millions of votes for contestants in the competition, will again offer visitors a close-up and personal experience of life in the rock 'n' roll fast lane. Programming will include original behind-the-scenes video footage, replays of contestant performances, music downloads, contestant profiles, photo galleries, stories about Supernova, and contestants' blogs on MSN Spaces. Online viewing of the TV show and online voting for contestants will be available only on MSN Video.

"'Rock Star' is a like a force of nature -- it's an enormously exciting project that has millions of fans, and it allows us to show how compelling interactive online entertainment content can be," said Rob Bennett, general manager of Entertainment and Video Services for MSN. "This season we're doing lots of fabulous programming around 'Rock Star' to enrich the TV viewers' experience and to provide visitors to MSN with the kind of off-the-charts entertainment experiences we've promised. Anyone who loves loud music and spends time online will want to catch all the rock 'n' roll action of 'Rock Star: Supernova.'"

"Rock Star" on the Road

Also new this year are MSN "Live Like a Rockstar" events, which will be kicked off at the legendary Roxy Theater in Los Angeles on July 13 with live performances by The Panic Channel, a new band featuring former members of Jane's Addiction, and an opening act. Exclusive scenes of the new season of "Rock Star" will be screened at the show, and radio station Star 98.7 will feature live remote broadcasts from the event to promote MSN entertainment content and build traffic to the "Rock Star" Web site. This major event will also be presented in Chicago, Boston and New York on dates to be announced. Tickets are available only via promotional offerings to "Rock Star" fans, who may also participate in a variety of contests on the MSN "Rock Star" site.

"MSN is really turning up the volume and creating a lot of excitement for the return of 'Rock Star,'" said Mark Burnett, creator and executive producer of "Rock Star: Supernova." "The show's popularity last season had a lot to do with the fantastic online experience MSN provided visitors to the site. This is what entertainment today is all about: synergy across multiple platforms. MSN is playing a huge role in bringing interactive entertainment and a wide range of rich content to broadband. We're thrilled to collaborating with MSN on this breakthrough series."

The Dream of Being a Star Rocker Comes True

Last season on "Rock Star," the rock sensation INXS auditioned for a new lead singer. Canadian heartthrob JD Fortune was selected to front the band, which has since recorded and released a new CD, "Switch," that debuted in the Billboard Top 20 and is currently going gold and platinum in countries around the world. INXS' hit single, "Pretty Vegas," has helped the band sell out every concert on its North American tour.

Dave Navarro and Brooke Burke return to host "Rock Star: Supernova." In one of several changes being made for the second season of the series, a music celebrity or rock legend will appear as a guest on the show each week. The winner of the competition will record an original CD with Supernova, to be co- written and produced by Butch Walker, Rolling Stone Magazine's 2005 "Hot Producer of the Year." The CD will be released in the fall and will be supported by a worldwide tour in early 2007.

"Rock Star: Supernova" will air on CBS Tuesdays at 9 p.m. EDT/PDT and Wednesdays at 8 p.m. EDT/PDT. Exclusive episodes on MSN will be available every Monday on demand at http://rockstar.msn.com.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/pr.asp...629microsoft01

Has anyone checked out the video of this "premiere" yet? It's about 22 minutes long, broken into four videos.

"The Rockers jam with Supernova and check out their new pad. They bond and then choose songs for the all-important first performance."

This was fun to watch, and you'll get a sneak-preview of some of the personalities and their voices jamming with Supernova.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet View Post
    Has anyone checked out the video of this "premiere" yet? It's about 22 minutes long, broken into four videos.

"The Rockers jam with Supernova and check out their new pad. They bond and then choose songs for the all-important first performance."

This was fun to watch, and you'll get a sneak-preview of some of the personalities and their voices jamming with Supernova.
    I just tried and I can't resolve the web address. They are either working on it, America brought it down, or there's something hinky with just MY ISP.

EDIT - Worked on my 4th try. Seems to have just been a hiccup.

EDIT 2 - It seem to no-likey Firefox. Big surprise from MSN. Time to drag out old Spyweary getting IE. Sigh.
    Last edited by Krom; 07-04-2006 at 12:23 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Yep, you have to use IE to view anything on that site.

Just saw it.

Damn, Idol looks more and more like absolute crap when you consider that this stuff on MSN is the throw-away stuff they won't even show on broadcast TV, and its already probably better than any episode of Idol ever shown.

What I saw matched a lot of my pre-show suppositions based on listening to clips of these people from their own websites. Jill Gioia is amazing. Dilana is a great mimic of other female rock stars (that's not necessily either a bad OR good thing--it just means that she's got a good instrument if she uses it right and puts in some originality). Magni and Zayra Alvarez are weird. I'm not sure we really got to hear Patrice Pike. Chris Pierson was a bit better than I supposed (I was so so about the stuff on his MySpace site). Storm Large is indeed very large (I think her feet are bigger than my head).

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Well, I also just got finished and let me say..ITS OFFICIAL....I am definitely in love with Toby Rand

Other than Toby, I think my faves are Dilana (boy she rocks!), Chris, Lucas (he "looks" the part), Storm and Matt.

Dana doesn't look like a rocker (tho she's very pretty); Jill is going to be the sexy one; Magni-I like him..he's unusual and speaking of really unusual...Zayra...she's gorgeous but I don't think this is the right gig for her
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD
    I just watched the MSN video. Hmm, looks like a totally different kind of group than last time. No cutesy teen idol ones this time around.

I am a little disappointed that they are rehashing some of the songs from last summer. With the thousands of really great songs out there, they should not have to repeat any.

I don't know how many renditions of Satisfaction I can bear listening too. LOVE the Stones and they kind of own that song, so its hard to imagine anyone else and I can't remember who did it last summer, but they didn't do it too well if I remember correctly.

This should be interesting. That Zayra chick is well, interesting. I don't know what else to say. Her singing left me scratching my head along with the band.

I'm ready, can't wait until this thing gets started.

Does anyone know if they are going to do what they did last summer with showing the house segments on VH1 and the rest of it on CBS??

I really liked the house shows last year along with the performances. I think it gave real insight to personalities and song selection.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm wondering if the house segments are what we're going to be seeing on the MSN site. This "premiere" was quite similar to last season's first episode.

I think the house stuff may be restricted to MSN this time, which is a crying shame. It's good TV. It's not nearly as exploitive as it could be, and focuses more on musician comraderie than Big Brother like backstabbing.

Plus that crappy copy-cat ABC "The One" show is getting away with claiming showing their musicians living together is some kind of "first" and that irks me (they actually used the phrase "for the first time" on the commercials I saw).

Yep...I think Krom is right. The house stuff is going to be on MSN and my computer doesn't want to let me watch it
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast