+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Zayra Alvarez - Supernova

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I don't mean it as an insult as I think Bjork is talented - but could you imagine Bjork fronting Supernova? LOL
    Got ya! Now that would be a concert!

Who cares about SuperNova ? We just want to watch Z doing her own original stuff. And she is very original.

I really get her. She just needs to take the advice and move into a solo career with her newfound high profile. She definitely is not the leader of THIS band.
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner View Post
    Who cares about SuperNova ? We just want to watch Z doing her own original stuff. And she is very original.
    Bjork did it first.

And better.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Dude, Supernova sucks! I watch it for the original performances and that Zayra brings. The name Supernova wreeks of suckiness. They will end up picking either Dihlana or Lukas but I like Zayra much better. She should have tried another show or making it on her own. It will be interesting to see how much further she makes

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    Bjork did it first.

And better.
    Well, it's hard to beat Bjork. That woman is unbelievably talented. But you could use that analogy about any of the rockers out there today.

Chrissie Hynde did it first. And better.

Or. Shirley Manson did it first. And better.

Or. Robert Plant did it first. And better.

etc. etc.

Hey, Rock is not really about originality--that's a fallacy some people have I think based on the fact that Rock's origins are rooted in rebellion.

There are rules in rock, just as there are with any good music. There's an approach, a necessary attitude, a way of thinking and acting, a specific performance vibe. Zayra doesn't have any of this. She might be able to make a success out of a solo career with a specific group of fans, but she's not going to work well in a group (especially a rock group) and she has no possibility of mass popularity (and like it or not that IS a requirement to head a major rock band).

And again, it's not like Zayra is all THAT original. The whole monotone head jerking wailing thing has been done by any number of female artists, and as I said earlier in my opinion probably better. She didn't invent this, or even perfect it.

There's also the issue that she's not versatile. Now a rock star doesn't HAVE to be versatile, but it sure helps. Zayra does one thing and one thing only, and no matter what you request of her that's all you get. And you either like it, tolerate it, or hate it. There's no bargaining, no sense of comprehension from her that she thinks she could or should do anything else, and no sense she'd ever be able to work in a collaborative environment.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Hi Krom, I wasn't questioning what you've been saying about needing to fit into a BAND. I agree that Z isn't the best fit for SuperNova...even though I have no idea what SuperNova is going to sound like. (The little clips they aired earlier this week of their music sounded more pop than hard rock to me). What I was saying was that simply saying "so and so did it first. And better" could be said about anyone.

Some examples:

Dilana:
    "Johnette Napolitano did it first. And better."

Phil:
    "Adam Levine did it first. And better." (Well, maybe not really. I don't like Phil or Adam."

Patrice:
    "Sheryl Crow did it first. And better."

You said: "There are rules in rock, just as there are with any good music. There's an approach, a necessary attitude, a way of thinking and acting, a specific performance vibe."

I completely disagree with that. That sounds as formulaic (is that a word) as putting together a boy band. And by the way, I've seen my share of boy bands thanks to a handful of nieces who wanted to go see the Backstreet Boys (lame live shows), 'N Sync (surprisingly good) and 98 Degrees (lame). Some of the best live shows were spectacular for different reasons. Yes, it'd be great to go to shows where guitarists are playing with their teeth, a la Jimi Hendrix. Nirvana--fantastic, and Kurt didn't exactly put on a show. The British bands (Oasis, Blur, Pulp) often did more shoegazing than "performing" but made it work for them. Cyndi Lauper--complete spaz on stage and it worked of her. (On the other hand, Alanis Morrisette's spaz stage performance never worked. For me.)

Now back to Z. If you listen to "You Really Rock Me" and "I'm Not an Addict." Those are two completely different performances. It's easy to make the Celine Dion comparisons 'cause there is a physical similarity. Both are bone thin and have those bone thin (almost horsey) faces. And BTW, I've seen Celine Dion in concert and I can honestly say that it was better than the Motley Crue shows I attended. Not that I particularly like either artist--but in terms of performance.

Anyhow, thems my 2 pences.

Oops.

P.S. I meant "You Really Got Me." Not "You Really Rock Me." Although that would be nice, too.

Music is all about connecting with the listeners. From her music and videos, both SN and pre-SN stuff, Z seems to be doing that to some of us. More power to her. There are still many with an open ear and more accepting of something different other than bland mainstream music.

I have some Zayra music and video links if they haven't been posted already. Her pre SN stuff is actually quite good.

Zayra will appear in an upcoming movie and will sing songs for the soundtrack. This girl is going places with or without SN. She may not be right for SN but a longer stay on the show can only be good for her. And her fans.
    Last edited by OriginalSinner; 07-29-2006 at 06:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread