+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Zayra Alvarez - Supernova

Reality Lite Weight LiteWeightLiz's Avatar
    I was covering my ears while she tried to sing that song! The lead singer in Evanescence has an incredible voice, and if you're going to sing one of their songs, IMHO, you HAVE to be able to deliver. Personally, I wasn't impressed with her at all.
    Quote: "Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds." -- Homer Simpson

She is different in an interesting way. She won't win judging from her performance (not a match for this band) but I like to see her stay.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Not bad, not a stand out, but she should be safe.
    Lord I hope not. She stank.

She may be saved by how bad at least one other woman was (the scared little southern girl), and at least half of the guys (who all blended together). But even though I actually liked some of the music on her website, the combination of the MSN episode ("dis is da way we rock and roll") and this has totally made me go cold on her. Weird can be good for rock. But it has to be an intense kind of weird, not a lazy meandering one, and that's what I get from her. And the voice just isn't working. At all.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I think she is a beautiful girl. I do not think she will go far far with her voice.
    Go Tigers!

My opinion of her was jaded after watching her on the premiere online episode. She was so bad and off-pitch with the ridiculous lyrics she came up with. It was truly embarrassing to watch. But, she thought she did great.

She wasn't as bad last night, but she is not a rocker.

FORT Regular
    House band saved that--girl has a weak voice! She had a poor song choice but I was amazed when the producer JUMPED at the chance to compliment her! I was like WTF? She is striking and pretty and all,but Dilana and Storm kicked her butt IMO. Doubt she will win,but with video so important,who knows--she brings the pretty,and that may factor in the decision(unfairly IMO,but I am a girl and don't care if she is cute).

just when you escape... raisingrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LiteWeightLiz View Post
    I was covering my ears while she tried to sing that song! The lead singer in Evanescence has an incredible voice, and if you're going to sing one of their songs, IMHO, you HAVE to be able to deliver. Personally, I wasn't impressed with her at all.
    AMEN!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I really liked her performance of "You Really Got Me" tonight. It was weird and (in my opinion) really good. That said, I don't see her lasting on the show for much longer. The band will want a harder sound and I don't see her giving them that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    I really liked her performance of "You Really Got Me" tonight. It was weird and (in my opinion) really good. That said, I don't see her lasting on the show for much longer. The band will want a harder sound and I don't see her giving them that.
    The problem is that all of her songs sound the same. The same simple "thump thump thump" beat, the same Bjork-like delivery, the same casual disregard (or is it willful ignorance?) that this is supposed to be hard rock. And yet I could even bear that if she had charisma--which she doesn't.

Dilana showed the template tonight of making something a bit weird, and yet still charismatic. If you want to use an off-kilter voice, you have to sound wild and intense--like you are barely leashing it. Zayra's funny voice just sound that--funny, not wild.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Hey Krom, this was the first time I saw any of them perform (other than last week's all-male Bottom Three fiasco) so it was new to me. I don't think she sounds AT ALL like Bjork (who I like very much) -- more like Shakira, if you ask me. BUT, I agree that if this is how she performed last week as well (what did she sing again?), then it's too much of the same thing. But as a stand-alone performance, I really liked it. I doubt I'll get to compare it to next week's performance, though, 'cause I think the boys are going to send her home!

I have to disagree with you about Dilana though. I didn't see any charisma. Just a droning monotone. She wasn't nearly as bad as the Courtney Love-copycat. But then again, who really was?

Quote Originally Posted by Juls2 View Post
    Missed last weeks - have it on DVR - so tonight was the first time I was seeing any of them ... omg ... she was the worst ... by a long shot.
    Worse than Chris? How can that be?!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-11-2006 at 11:00 PM. Reason: So I don't double post

+ Reply to Thread