+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Zayra Alvarez - Supernova

I wouldn't go so far to say I'm particularly a fan (would I buy her CD? probably not) but I've really enjoyed Zayra thus far. I haven't heard her own material but I suspect she may have some fairly interesting stuff. She really is great onstage and obviously, since she is a recording artist in her own country, likely has enough of a fan base that is voting for her. I don't think it's a VFTW situation at all.

BTW, I don't think Toby is untouchable at all. He's had a turn in the bottom 3 and SN doesn't seem THAT enamoured of him. Once you discount the Zayra factor (if you believe she is inevitably on the chopping block), Toby's position is precarious - he's at least a distant third to Lukas & Magni.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I wouldn't go so far to say I'm particularly a fan (would I buy her CD? probably not) but I've really enjoyed Zayra thus far. I haven't heard her own material but I suspect she may have some fairly interesting stuff. She really is great onstage and obviously, since she is a recording artist in her own country, likely has enough of a fan base that is voting for her. I don't think it's a VFTW situation at all.

BTW, I don't think Toby is untouchable at all. He's had a turn in the bottom 3 and SN doesn't seem THAT enamoured of him. Once you discount the Zayra factor (if you believe she is inevitably on the chopping block), Toby's position is precarious - he's at least a distant third to Lukas & Magni.
    I completely agree. I actually like Z and her unusual vocalizations. I don't think she's as flat/offkey as she's been made out to be... but regardless, it doesn't bother me and it shouldn't bother Gilby either--he couldn't carry a tune when he was harmonizing with Dilana.

I don't think Storm is untouchable either. A lot of the criticism she's getting reminds me of the strikes against MiG last season--they look great and sound great, but their performances are too theatrical (according to INXS last year and SuperNova this year). I think the 3 contenders are Magni, Lukas and Dilana. I used to think the final two would be between Lukas and Dilana, but now I think it's going to be between Magni and Dilana, with Dilana getting the edge for NOT having a spouse and baby. I think they're going to worry about Magni missing his family too much during tours--and my guess is they're not rich enough (and neither is he) to want to fork over $$ for his wife's plane tickets when/if they tour...

As for Z, no, she's not right for SuperNova but neither are most of the contestants. But one thing she's done is differentiate herself from the rest of the pack and you remember who she is (whether for good or bad reasons). Early on, I couldn't remember the names of most of the contestants (Phil? Chris? Ryan? Huh?), but I always remember Z, along with Dilana and Lukas.

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    I don't think she's as flat/offkey as she's been made out to be...

I don't think Storm is untouchable either.
    It must be those darn "powers that be" at work again....making Zayra flat.
    I'll side with Gilby, and the rest of Supernova, and the rest of the world . Zayra = flat
    Pluto = round

In context to my point, in a sing off between Zayra and Storm or Toby, there is no way...none...zero....

AI is fine for the likes of Kevin Corvais and Kelly Pickler and the people who vote for them a thousand times. Zayra's sideshow is nearing the end.

BTW, I've liked some of her songs. I'd rather watch her than Bobblin' Josh or Jumpin' Jill, for no more than $5....

Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN View Post
    It must be those darn "powers that be" at work again....making Zayra flat.
    I'll side with Gilby, and the rest of Supernova, and the rest of the world . Zayra = flat
    Pluto = round
    You crack me up, Squatman. (And I still miss your Hurley avatar) I wasn't saying there was a consipracy theory or that any powers that be were making her sound flat. I was saying that I don't think she sounds flat all the time and that I like her style. I remember being really blown away by her take on "You Really Got Me" and being surprised at how much most of you all hated it. What I was saying was that to go by this board, she's the worst thing since...well...American Idol. (Sorry, I just hate that show.)

Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN View Post
    BTW, I've liked some of her songs. I'd rather watch her than Bobblin' Josh or Jumpin' Jill, for no more than $5....
    Ha ha! To tell you the truth, I wouldn't pay money to see any of them play, including Dave, Gilby, Tommy, and Jason. (And yes, I've seen all their original bands, but I didn't go to see/hear any of those aforementioned.) That's interesting that you bring up a sing off between Storm, Toby and Z, with the former two blowing Z out of the water. I'd like to hear that--but I'd like to hear all 3 of them sing the exact same arrangement of the same song so we can compare apples to apples. I'd rather have a little flat with a good dose of originality. And to me, while Storm and Toby are definitely talented, their voices/faces/performances are very generic and unmemorable to me. (Compare them to someone like Magni and Dilana, whose voices are just so much more powerful than theirs and have more magnetic stage presences. And this coming from me--who didn't like either Dilana or Magni in the beginning.)

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner View Post
    But she certainly has lots of fans out there with more daring and riskier and, may I add, not bland taste. She wasn't in bottom 3 four times out of 6 weeks, point proven !
    Is it considered bland taste to like a singer that can sing in the right key? Obviously there are people voting for her, but it's only as a goof.

Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    Is it considered bland taste to like a singer that can sing in the right key? Obviously there are people voting for her, but it's only as a goof.
    Now JR, you don't know that. How could you? And no one would ever accuse Bob Dylan of singing in the right key, but I love him. And no, I'm not comparing Z to Bob Dylan.

I'm just saying...

And just calm down all your Z haters...she'll be gone this week or next anyhow. Until then, just freaking mute your TV when she comes on if it's that torturous for you to watch. Or VOTE multiple times for other people you do like. See, problem solved!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 08-11-2006 at 05:37 PM.

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    And just calm down all your Z haters...she'll be gone this week or next anyhow. Until then, just freaking mute your TV when she comes on if it's that torturous for you to watch. Or VOTE multiple times for other people you do like. See, problem solved!
    I loved her punkish 867-5309 Jenny, and Call Me had some decent moments. The karate chops distacted me too much in You Really Got Me.

Hope they get her some earphones, for everyone's sake......

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Okay, I have to toss in my two cents' worth. Regardless of whether you like the "main players" (Tommy, Gilby and/or Jason), it's apparent Tommy Lee is very good at marketing himself. I think he knows there has to be some sort of controversy - or something to talk about at the water cooler (or on a reality tv board) to keep interest in the show. Enter Zayra.

Z might show some sort of talent in her own genre (I don't what genre that would be), but she's no Supernova front man. She's more like the comic relief around there.

Again, just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    She's more like the comic relief around there.
    A beautiful, crazy and original comic relief too. I take Z any day over the real clown here, Lukas.

The issue is that its not clear if Zayra REALIZES that's she's the comic relief.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread