+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Toby Rand - Supernova

Rockstardom Looms

AMERICA has a new Aussie heart-throb.

Melbourne surfer, carpet store clerk and singer Toby Rand has become the favourite to win the reality TV show Rockstar: Supernova after sending female fans in the US into a frenzy.

Even infamous rocker Tommy Lee, whose sexual exploits have overshadowed his career as a drummer with Motley Crue, is impressed with the way Rand has been making women hyperventilate during the first two weeks of the show.

"The girls love him," Lee said during last week's telecast.

The winner of the reality TV show, which is shot in LA and aired around the world, including Australia, will become the lead singer of Lee's new all-star band, Supernova, which includes Metallica bassist Jason Newsted and Guns 'n Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke.

Rand is one of 13 remaining hopefuls, with two contestants eliminated in the first two weeks of the show.

The 28-year-old blond from St Kilda has made it clear he is up to the challenge of touring the globe with notorious ladies' man Lee.

"It's obvious the girls like you," Lee told Rand after he performed The Killers hit, Somebody Told Me, to a frenzied audience of mostly female fans.

Rand cheekily smiled back and said: "That's lucky, because I like girls".

His rendition of Somebody Told Me was so good Lee asked Rand to do an encore.

Rand, who quit his job at a Melbourne carpet store to pursue his dream of leading Supernova, won his invitation to LA after auditioning with hundreds of other hopefuls in Sydney earlier this year.

Other auditions unearthed 14 contestants, all unknown singers, from the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, South Africa and Iceland.

Each week the contestants sing a song in front of a live audience and viewers from around the world vote.

The three lowest vote getters then stand before Lee, Newsted and Clarke, who critique and then boot one off the show.

Rockstar: Supernova is the series sequel to last year's search to find a singer for the Australian band INXS.

It found Canada's JD Fortune and despite sceptics, revitalised INXS - which had been floundering since the death of lead singer Michael Hutchence.

Rand is well known in the Melbourne music scene for his band Juke Cartel.

Link

I like Toby, but I'm not sure this group is the best match. He doesn't appear to have the overwhelming, larger-than-life persona that these guys are accustomed to, being hair band boys.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by RushVB View Post
    Why doesn't SN just pick all heavy tunes if they expect them all to rock out? Sick of hearing them criticize that they are too meloow when much of the material can only be done the original way or if they mix it up fear negative comments...
    I don't think SN wants them to keep those songs original. They are trying to see the contestants creative side by how they make changes to the songs.

Toby Rand is my favorite contestant on Rock Star: Supernova. Even if he do not win the competition, I think he has a great career ahead of him. Toby is an awesome is singer and performer. Go Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by #1RealityTVFan View Post
    Toby Rand is my favorite contestant on Rock Star: Supernova. Even if he do not win the competition, I think he has a great career ahead of him. Toby is an awesome is singer and performer. Go Aussie!

ITA, He's definately easy on the eyes.
    Not to mention seems to a decent guy, not wanting to get anyone mad at him.

I thought his performance yesterday was fantastic!!! It was great! I love it!!! Go Toby !

Quote Originally Posted by #1RealityTVFan View Post
    I thought his performance yesterday was fantastic!!! It was great! I love it!!! Go Toby !
    Agree with you on that! I would love to see him in concert!
    And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know ~ Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    The MySpace of his ex-band: http://www.myspace.com/jukekartel

He's good. It's very straight-up hard rock, but his voice is very clear compared to a lot of hard rockers who just screetch.

I think I might like him better than any of the other guys I've heard samples from so far (I've missed a few though, so don't be surprised if I change my mind about that).
    Interesting ~ Dave Navarro is listed as a buddy on their site, and Dave does a blog on the show.
    And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know ~ Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar View Post
    I like Toby, but I'm not sure this group is the best match. He doesn't appear to have the overwhelming, larger-than-life persona that these guys are accustomed to, being hair band boys.

jasmar, I agree but only time will tell if he's right for the band, but even if he doesn't get the job he has a major career ahead of him he's a great performer, singer, if some record label doesn't sign him there's something wrong.

ITA. He's my favorite of the guys, by far. He's got a great voice and is a good performer.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

+ Reply to Thread