+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Storm Large - Supernova

Storm Large - Supernova

Hometown: Portland, OR

Storm Large: How do fans love Storm? Let them count both the ways and the lanky inches, for there are many, many of them. But her height is certainly not the only quality that makes Storm Large so memorable. Even if she wasn't six feet tall, you'd still feel like a midget standing next to her-so enormous is her talent.

In her popular revue in a little club in Portland, Oregon, Storm and her band The Balls have collected a devoted following of fans who not only witness one gorgeous, sexy, fearless babe with balls-to-the-wall, tear-the-house-down vocal chops, but an oftentimes ingenious stage performer. You're never bored when Storm's in the house.

Not surprisingly, Storm (born with the fateful name Storm Susan Large) was a rebellious kid who truly discovered herself through singing. In 1989, she earned her associates degree in performance at The American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City and soon moved on to San Francisco where she started her band, Flower SF. Other bands would follow and disband leading her to Portland where her lounge core act has offered gigs and tours galore, as well as making Storm a local legend. To paraphrase The Scorpions, Storm really does rocketh like a hurricane.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 07-12-2006 at 03:34 AM.

Storm WHAT?

Or should I say...

WHAT Large?

+ plus = a lot of blow?
    Last edited by Krom; 06-29-2006 at 07:41 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Her website: http://www.stormlarge.com/

As disclosed above, her band is called "The Balls". Yup. "Storm Large and The Balls". Their big album is "Hanging With The Balls".

Unlike a few of these others I don't see a music sample actually downloadable to streamable there, but I'll bet there turns out to be a MySpace page or something.

She's a local girl, apparently (although I've never heard of herů but then I haven't beena part of the club scene since the last century).
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Did her parents want her to be a stripper?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Did her parents want her to be a stripper?
    They allowed her to hang out with Balls.

Birth name "Storm Susan Large"? Well, I suppose if the hippie generation brought us Sgt. Pepper and Piper at the Gates of Dawn, they had their lapses in reason, as well.

The bio is certainly nice and objective. Once again, I'll be interested to hear her SING and make my judgments from there.

Found: The elusive audio clip:

Audio (mp3 file) - http://www.stormlarge.com/mp3/pushernoia.m3u

Um. Odd. She's got something, but I'm not sure I enjoy it as much as
    Patrice Pike or Jill Gioia's samples. I will admit Ms. Large is singing a... difficult song in that audio clip.

EDIT - Wait. Just found her MySpace (they ALL have 'em): http://www.myspace.com/stormandtheballs

Yikes. Look at that pic of her (go there it may not be appropriate to repost here). It's a bit scary. And there are several more audio bits there. Again... she's er... strange. Her self-classification on that MySpace page is "Other / Jazz / Christian Rap". Wha?

And "Inna Godda Davida" mixed with "Dancing Queen" in one song, with a jazz backbeat? My head is spinning.
    Last edited by Krom; 06-30-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Eh, I'll wait until I hear them all on the show. Lord knows that independent recordings such as these are usually drenched in all the awkward production effects the artists can afford.

The recording quality of most of these folks stuff on MySpace is usually pretty good. But yes, they make their own production choices. But isn't gauging that reasonably important too? Idol is Idol because it doesn't care what the contestants actually know about music. This show can do better, and I for one am glad to hear if they can self-produce.

And Storm Large is still going to be weird even if someone else produces her. You can tell.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast