+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Star - Supernova

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    I thought he did a very good rendition of the song. Had some good energy up there. Had that Chris Cornell scowl going on.

FORT Fan
    Ryan is my favorite singer on this show. Granted he still needs to work a little on performance. But I think he has the best vocal quality. However I don't think he suits this band, the 3 stooges that consist of Supernova are a little more edgier and harder than Ryan and I think Ryan's style and vocals would be drowned out by their music.

I actually hope that Ryan doesn't win this because he is my favorite. It wouldn't suit him. I also bought his indie album off of iTunes, "Songs for the Eye of an Elephant" and it is just amazing. He has tremendous vocals.

P.S. I feel the same way about Josh Logan too, both Ryan's and Josh's vocals are amazing but would not fit in with Supernova. They should be smart enough to realize that and quit the show while they can.

Ryan eyes stardom on 'Supernova'

BY RAFER GUZMÁN
    Newsday Staff Writer

July 25, 2006

As the CBS reality show "Rock Star: Supernova" enters its fourth week, Dix Hills contestant Ryan Star says he's finally turning a corner.

Star, the onetime singer for the band Stage, has so far failed to impress the members of Supernova - drummer Tommy Lee, guitarist Gilby Clarke and bassist Jason Newsted - who must pick a lead singer from an ever-dwindling pool of hopefuls. Even Star's passionate performance of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Fortunate Son" last week left the judges cold.

But Star says he recently hit the mark while singing "I Alone" by the group Live. "I rocked out," he says of his performance, which airs tonight at 9. "I finally showed my face as a contender."

In a rare interview yesterday - contestants have limited outside contact - Star said being on a game show isn't all fun and games. The stakes are high - the winner will record an album with Supernova - which means there's plenty of elbow-throwing among the contestants.

Star has already had a run-in with Georgia girl Dana Andrews (they sniped on stage) and he confesses to some off-camera tension with Zayra Alvarez, the quirky Texan. Star and Josh Logan, from New Hampshire, have also traded words, but Star calls Logan "a super-talented guy."

So far, Star has made friends with fellow Long Islander Jill Gioia - she'll raise some eyebrows this week, he hints - and also with Lukas Rossi, the Canadian singer emerging as an early favorite. "He's a little Scott Weiland clone, and I don't know why people don't call him on that," Star says with a laugh. "But I feel him as a real artist."

Whether the Supernova crew will pick Star as the winner remains to be seen.

Link

R.E.M. Best performance of the night in my opinion. It looked like the others were looking on and just shaking their heads like "Great, how do I top that!".
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    R.E.M. Best performance of the night in my opinion. It looked like the others were looking on and just shaking their heads like "Great, how do I top that!".
    Ditto to all of the above. I got goosebumps. REM, or really just Michael Stipe, always manages to transport me to an alternate universe. So the fact that I MUCH preferred Ryan's version is shocking to me. Especially because until that performance I was merely tolerating him.

Squatman's reference to Chris Cornell is right on. At least to me, and I am a huge Audioslave, Soundgarden, and Temple of the Dog fan.

As for the other singers, I saw a crack in Lukas' rockstar armor. For the first time, he seemed to literally deflate. The look on his face, to me, was plain unadulterated fear. Then he proceeded to give his worst performance so far.

Was not sure if I was gonna keep watching, but FINALLY I have a reason to keep coming back.
    Go Tigers!

FORT Fan
    I liked the piano version of Losing My Religion too, but then again I also really enjoyed Suzie's hard rock rendition last season. I wasn't a huge Suzie fan, but I preferred both of those versions over REM's.

I really, really hated his version of Losing My Religion (why the hell do these people feel compelled to take a simple and beautiful song and add those godawful oversung, "heroic" vocals to them) and feel that he would be much better served doing his thing on AI, as would I as I wouldn't have to hear him again. I'm getting tired of finding housework to do in another room every time he comes on.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Newbie
    Can anyone tell me what song he did on the last show? I missed the caption and I'd really like to know. Thanks.

It was Paint It Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus
    I really, really hated his version of Losing My Religion (why the hell do these people feel compelled to take a simple and beautiful song and add those godawful oversung, "heroic" vocals to them) and feel that he would be much better served doing his thing on AI, as would I as I wouldn't have to hear him again. I'm getting tired of finding housework to do in another room every time he comes on.
    A big ol' "word" to that. LMR is one of my favourite songs ever and I was grinding my teeth throughout his whole performance (and I left the room when he got the encore). He oversung LMR and over-performed PIB (and ripped off Dilana's hood-over-the-face dramatics, which worked very well for her and made him look like a complete doofus).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Newbie
    ...by the stones or the vines? the one with the lyrics "words are -something something- unnecessary" is the one I'm talking about, just to make sure we're talking about the same one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast