+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Hoffer - Supernova

Matt Hoffer - Supernova

Hometown: Chicago, IL

Matt Hoffer: Who said hockey players can't rock? Or better yet, who said hockey players/ex real estate brokers can't rock? Not us. And in the case of Matt Hoffer, most definitely not us. A smart, amiable, indie rocker, Matt is finally seeing his dream come true as a full time musician.

Born in Denver, raised in upstate New York, and living his teenage years in the Chicago suburb of St. Charles, Illinois, 29-year-old Matt started playing guitar at age 13, becoming an expert in speed metal and one of the best guitarists in town. He was also, as noted before, quite good at ice hockey, which led him to play for the University of Illinois Fighting Illini Hockey Club for two years. Ever the enterprising fellow, while hitting his slap shots, he played gigs and graduated with a degree in Finance.

But while working as a real estate broker, he also honed his chops as frontman for his band Holding Mercury. Since then he's released a solo EP, opened for major acts, appeared on music compilations and more.

Counting Metallica, The Police, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Rufus Wainwright among his influences, Matt further proves his unique talents, and that, yes, hockey players/ex-real estate brokers can rock. They can rock hard.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 07-12-2006 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    Counting Metallica, The Police, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Rufus Wainwright among his influences, Matt further proves his unique talents, and that, yes, hockey players/ex-real estate brokers can rock. They can rock hard.
    What a bizarre list. I mean he looks a bit like Rufus Wainwright, but its still a bizarre combo with those other acts.
    = (equals) ???
    Last edited by Krom; 06-29-2006 at 07:39 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

His main website appears to be down, but you can try it if you like: http://matthoffer.com/

Here's his MySpace page, which works fine at the time of this posting, and has, as most MySpaces for musicians do... his music streaming: http://www.myspace.com/matthoffer

He's... okay. I've been far more impressed with several of the samples from some of the ladies. This guy just sounds... bland.

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    Nice voice; too much acoustic crap for becoming the singer for Supernova

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    Counting Metallica, The Police, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Rufus Wainwright among his influences
    That's a nice, eclectic mix. (Well, except for Sting. That's just uncalled for. ) I figure you have to be pretty bad-arse to be a hockey player and say you like Rufus Wainwright.

If he can bring all those elements into his performances, it sounds as though he'll be very well-rounded performer. Of course, it's a matter of whether what's on paper translates live.

Hmm, major fence position for me on this guy, just don't know.

I'd like to see him stick around and do some harder stuff because he has potential, but I don't see him fitting in with these guys.

Hockey!!!

I'm glad he was on! I needed a nice break from the intensity of the show where I could just sit back and exercise my jaw with lots of yawning!

I guess I can vacate my position on the fence. Duran Duran???!!! This guy firmly planted himself in the dipstick section & deserved to be booted even if he did have a better voice than some of the others.

He wasn't the worst of the three (see Chris). But, obviously a very bad choice using a Duran Duran song, especially one that no one knows...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast