+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The unofficial "Reasons Why 'Rock Star' kicks Idol's butt" topic

2 Words..... Brooke Burke!!! phew.

I can understand the need for eye candy for the men, but I find Brooke Burke sycophantic and uninteresting. She's actually one of the only things that detract from the show for me.

word. Brooke is so.... ugh. Is it just me or does she speak in an almost monotone?
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

One thing that sets it apart for me is the fact that not only can all of the contestants really sing (other than Chris!!), but having no arbitrary age limit (or contestants in their teens) means that you get to see talent you would never see on AI. With that advanced age seems to come experience and stage presence, so we aren't subjected to what looks like a high school musical from 16 year olds.

, ateapot! It's great to see longtime lurkers join in on the posting party.

First and foremost, this show would not be what it is without the rockin' House Band. Nothing lame from these guys--ever!

Another thing that sets the show apart is that the results show will have an encore of the previous evening's best performance. You don't get stuck with just reliving the worst of the evening.
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 07-06-2006 at 04:46 PM.

just when you escape... raisingrrrl's Avatar
    Last summer I started out watching both Rockstar and Canadian Idol. After 1 week, I gave up on Canadian Idol and I just watched Rockstar. Anytime I had the opportunity to watch Canadian Idol, I couldn't - the talent was WRETCHED!!!!!

The reason Rockstar rocks? The talent. Period.

Why does Rockstar kick Idol's butt?

1. House Band!!!
    2. Talented rockers.
    3. Better song choices and arrangements.
    4. Each week the rock group chooses which rocker goes home and not by public popularity and in the final episode, the rock group chooses who is right for their band....by their talent, performance, fit etc.
    5. They are allowed to play instruments.
    6. No cheesy Ford commercial ads.
    7. Dave Navarro (I'll take Dave Navarro over Randy or Simon, Jake, Farley, Zack or Ben any day!)

Quote Originally Posted by Trynity View Post
    Why does Rockstar kick Idol's butt?

1. House Band!!!
    2. Talented rockers.
    3. Better song choices and arrangements.
    4. Each week the rock group chooses which rocker goes home and not by public popularity and in the final episode, the rock group chooses who is right for their band....by their talent, performance, fit etc.
    5. They are allowed to play instruments.
    6. No cheesy Ford commercial ads.
    7. Dave Navarro (I'll take Dave Navarro over Randy or Simon, Jake, Farley, Zack or Ben any day!)
    Trynity, where the hell have you been? Looking forward to hearing your input and opinions on the show and the talent.

I too am a huge fan of this format, and the fact that the band is involved in the final choice. I also appreciate that we as an audience are not subjected to the painful experience of witnessing the humiliation of the general untalented public. Rockstar does us real music fans the favor of weeding out the crap and letting us enjoy some true and diverse talent, while enjoying the fun of betting which real talent the band will choose.

That said, I still wonder where Jordas Unga, Mig, and Marty are professionally right now. No, they were not right for INXS, but I would buy all of their records if they were out there.

The only AI performer I will pay to see on his own is Chris Daughtry. There are quite a few Rockstar performers who I would pay to see. The new ones included.
    Go Tigers!

Isn't it sort of American Idol on Testosterone? The performers on Rock Star seemed to have lived a life, and their more polished, but the show needs a Simon Cowell. The band members seem to like almost everything, or maybe their just stoned sort of like hairier, tatooed versions of Paula. I was bored after the first 6 last night, and I only watch A.I. for Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander View Post
    Isn't it sort of American Idol on Testosterone? The performers on Rock Star seemed to have lived a life, and their more polished, but the show needs a Simon Cowell. The band members seem to like almost everything, or maybe their just stoned sort of like hairier, tatooed versions of Paula. I was bored after the first 6 last night, and I only watch A.I. for Simon.
    Well, I would have to go back to Manny's recap of the show to put a name to him, but at least one of the "judges" or bandmembers definitely called out that horrible version of "Roxanne", when he oh so articulately said, and I quote, "Did you do that arrangement of Roxanne? Well, it sucked!" I agreed with his assesment, and so far I have favorites, but other than that song, they were mostly good.
    Go Tigers!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast