+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The unofficial "Reasons Why 'Rock Star' kicks Idol's butt" topic

- the house band alone makes tuning in worthwhile
    - where else are you going to get to see good/live rock on TV?

FORT Newbie
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

I never watched AI before this past season (Taylor & Mandisa got me with the first audition) but I followed RockStar: INXS religiously. First, it was with dread: I'm a fan of INXS and I thought it was going to be like watching a car wreck - so wrong but you can't look away. But then I realized these people were GOOD (okay, except Will - and that first girl booted out who just screeched all over) and the show was GREAT.

So yes, the contestants are more talented as they're judged as musicians and performers. The songs are better - more current, more rock, less lame. The whole vibe's better as it looks/sounds/feels like a rock concert. The judges are usually more spot on - especially the members of the band as they have a bigger investment in this whole process. Brooke's better eye candy (though do we really need a host?) than Seacrest. Less fillers, more rocking out - even during the elimination show.

But what takes the cake for me? THE HOUSE BAND ROCKS.

The first thing that comes to mind is the absolute lack of cheese on Rockstar. Well, except Dave Navarro's predictable short skirt comments to Brooke Burke a la Daniel Cleaver in Bridget Jones' Diary: "Is skirt off sick?"

In Rockstar the band has a vested interest in the result, thereby giving feedback aimed at shaping the contestants into an artist they can work with. They're putting their reputations and careers on the line. It's an exciting process to watch.

It's not exciting to watch American Idol. In fact, the lame factor increases as more people are voted out. The finale show is the height of godawful television and music. Insincere criticism (or lack thereof) combined with horribly acted commercials and skits make me cringe. Please, for the love of Pete, let them just sing!

Rockstar, the band gets the final vote.

American Idol, the fans get the final vote.

Which one's more legitimate?

The eyes says everything quangtran's Avatar
    -None of those so called “shock eliminations”. All eliminations have been fair, with none of those lame accusations of vote-rigging which, for whatever reason, some people consider it news worthy.

-Despite the rock star tag, everyone generally conducts themselves with professionalism and class.

-The whole elimination show is worth watching, not just the last five minutes.

-The number one reason this show is better than that other show is that on this one people can actually sing.

-There's none of that annoying 45 second abreviated crap with weird arrangements and glory notes that they call a performance on that other show.

-The contestants are required to write and perform their own songs at some point.

-No Ryan Creepfest. No Paula Drugstore. No Randy YoDawg.

-There is absolutely zero chance that anyone would be caught dead covering Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston.

-Oh, and did I mention the contestants can actually sing?
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by Goalwatcher View Post
    The first thing that comes to mind is the absolute lack of cheese on Rockstar. Well, except Dave Navarro's predictable short skirt comments to Brooke Burke a la Daniel Cleaver in Bridget Jones' Diary: "Is skirt off sick?"
    Well, it's not like Brooke isn't cooperating by wearing napkins as skirts. Or maybe they are those little tiny cloths people use to clean their glasses. Whatever they are, they are miniscule, and must require careful use of doublestick tape and/or lots of editing of the show after the fact to avoid a public tour of the inner Brooke.

In Rockstar the band has a vested interest in the result, thereby giving feedback aimed at shaping the contestants into an artist they can work with. They're putting their reputations and careers on the line. It's an exciting process to watch.
    It's not like the public can't shape that. I don't think INXS was leaning towards JD (although they did respect his ability to arrange music) until people responded to that "Dirty Vegas" song (which I still hate, but I know I'm in the minority).

It's not exciting to watch American Idol. In fact, the lame factor increases as more people are voted out. The finale show is the height of godawful television and music. Insincere criticism (or lack thereof) combined with horribly acted commercials and skits make me cringe. Please, for the love of Pete, let them just sing!

Rockstar, the band gets the final vote.

American Idol, the fans get the final vote.

Which one's more legitimate?
    Musicians know more than the dumb@ss public. 100 out of 100 times. It's a total non-question. They may cater to public tastes, but THEY have to work with these people.

But it's more than that. The music is simply better. Even if they are still using a lot of older "classic" songs (although in Rockstars' case they are "classics" which are usually newer by a decade or two than Idol's version of "classics"), the emphasis is on what really turns people on--performance energy and ability to work with musicians--versus some idiot notion of who can hit the most glory notes. If this was a search for the next Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey, that would be fine I guess, but this is about rock and acts like its about rock.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I LOVED last season of this show and I hope it is just as good this time around!!!!

I have NEVER watched even one season of American Idol. I caughts bits of shows here and there and I was never impressed enough to continue watching.
    I tuned in to RSI out of curiosity - mostly because INXS was involved and I was in luuuuuv with Michael Hutchence in junior high school so I was hoping they wouldn't muck up my memories too badly. It turned out that I adored the show and became a faithful watcher. The performers were of a much higer caliber than AI and they all seemed very genuine and committed to their craft.

Some other reasons RSI is better:
    - I loved the fact that the elimination nights weren't ALL filler. There were actually interesting performances to watch. I wonder what elimination will be like this time since this is a new band - maybe songs from the band members' previous bands?
    - I also really enjoyed the original arrangements that some of the performers did with their assigned songs. They really found a way to make it their own.
    - Writing their own original songs was a big deal. They should be able to contribute this kind of skill to a new band.
    - The music is sooo much better. I actually "discovered" a few bands that I wasn't familiar with!!

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    It's not like the public can't shape that. I don't think INXS was leaning towards JD (although they did respect his ability to arrange music) until people responded to that "Dirty Vegas" song (which I still hate, but I know I'm in the minority).
    In the case of Rockstar, perhaps the audience is more interested in what's best for the band so it makes them actually want to shape it. But I don't think the public's voting can make the kind of changes that direct feedback from someone you might possibly live and breathe music with can. Following your lead and using JD as an example...he was miming fellatio early on for goodness' sake! INXS wasn't so hot on that, so he changed the way he interacted with the audience. That to me wasn't something fans in a voting poll could change. I can say with some pride that JD has carried over everything he learned into his career with INXS. He's their front man, but at the concerts he ends up showcasing them more and I get the sense that he's been somewhat humbled by the experience.

For any of you 80's folks who haven't gone to an INXS concert lately, you simply must go. The audience is a lesson in nostalgia and fashion inadequacies that one cannot experience anywhere other than an 80's band concert. It's good fodder. Really. I even saw an Olivia Newton-John Let's Get Physical era headband. I crap you not.

FORT Fan
    The no cheesy Ford "music video" commercials is enough to make it better for me.

I love Ruben and the FORT 702loves205's Avatar
    The energy level, the intensity, the group's comments and the house band sell it for me.

No beating around the bush, no cheesiness - just getting down to business - music!
    To be a champion, you have to believe in yourself when nobody else will.
    -- Sugar Ray Robinson

I know what it means to fly without wings!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast