+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Lukas Rossi - Supernova

Quote Originally Posted by CC2003 View Post
    How is he a poseur? What do you think he's posing at and what do you think he's really like?
    I think he goes home, takes that makeup off, and sits around in his underwear a lot. Probably with a hockey game on the telly, just like everyone else around there.

That's not to say he isn't good, but his snarling arrogance is mostly for show.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Actually, Krom, aside from the Australian, he's the only guy that is not a poser. I think what you see is what you get from him and it shows from his confidence on stage and his, rather arrogant, approach.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by CC2003 View Post
    How is he a poseur? What do you think he's posing at and what do you think he's really like?
    The makeup and faceliner thing is just ridiculous. He's playing at being a big bad rock star. He comes off as an updated Ace Frawley. And Kiss was strictly a band for adolescent boys.

What's really funny to me is that in his bio picture he is smiling--all sunshine and happiness. Rather betrays the bad-arse image he is trying to go for.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhill View Post
    The makeup and faceliner thing is just ridiculous. He's playing at being a big bad rock star. He comes off as an updated Ace Frawley. And Kiss was strictly a band for adolescent boys.
    I keep on getting the BillieJo/GreenDay wannabe impression.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    I keep on getting the BillieJo/GreenDay wannabe impression.
    Yeah I would go with that impression before I'd ever go with the Ace Frawley impression...speaking as a proud member of the Kiss Army....and I respectfully disagree with you boxhill on Kiss being strictly for adolescent boys.....I'm a chick and I'm still a huge Kiss fan and I'm almost 40!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

From what I've read from Matt Hoffer on another site, things got physical after Lukas stirred the pot last week. Didn't say who got into it, but this little weird guy probably instigated it...

lukas knows jd?

Anyone note the connection between Lukas and JD Fortune? or...should I say Jason Dean Bennison. Seems the two Canadian rockers both did tracks for Beyblade, the Soundtrack. Lukas sings the theme song (which I find strangely appropriate as he LOOKS like an anime char) Both tracks are mildly horrific. "Let's Beyblade" and "Mildly in the Game" (JD's contribution)

just found it interesting.

so if RockStar ends up with TWO anime-theme-singing doods as winners, what does that say about our culture????????

oh...one other link... both bad boys who wanna mix it up. good ratings ploy imho

Reality Lite Weight LiteWeightLiz's Avatar
    I'm really TRYING to like his performances after reading some others' admiration of him, but he's just not doing it for me. Perhaps it's because I keep expecting him to deliver what his overly huge ego projects about himself, and it's just not happening! (for ME, anyway)
    Quote: "Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds." -- Homer Simpson

Surly T.O. rocker seeks glory

"I hear people calling me the next J.D. Fortune ... J.D. Fortune means nothing to me. He's not my brother. He's not in my family. He could be my friend, but he's not."

Lukas Rossi is holding court poolside at the appropriately opulent "Rock Star mansion" here in secluded Silverlake, wielding a lit cigarette to gesture for emphasis.

"I am myself. This is me. And if that's not good enough to win this thing ... see ya in another life. This is an audition, not a competition. All I can do is kill it my own way."

Rossi clearly means to distance himself from Fortune, the fellow Torontonian who emerged victorious at the end of last summer's Rock Star series to became the new lead singer of pop veterans INXS.

This season's prize is the coveted lead singer role with the newly minted all-star metal conglomerate, Supernova.

"If this were INXS, I wouldn't be here," Rossi sniffs. "I'd personally rather live in a shack and lie on my back than be here in the public eye and suck. I'm not here to be a TV star. I'm from the street, brother. This ain't no big to me."

Major attitude from a 29-year aspiring rock legend, who looks like a cross between Billy Idol, Prince and Pepe LePew, and whose 15-year professional resumι includes theme songs for cartoon shows and McDonald's commercials. He also fronted his own band, Clevage.

And that "street" he's from is in North York — where I gather he was pretty much constantly picked on at school. Which could explain some of this misplaced aggression.

Three weeks into the televised talent hunt — tonight's show airs at 9 p.m. on CBS and Global — Rossi has already started to stir things up among the rockers here at the mansion.

He has been particularly hard on the Montreal-born, Vancouver-based Jenny Galt.

"As far as I'm concerned," he flatly states, "there is only room for one Canadian here."

Galt, also 29, is a tad more gracious. "I don't feel any competitiveness with Lukas," the attractive blond insists. "But I think he does. I think he gets insecure about certain things, and then gets very reactionary. And then he has to deal with the repercussions of what he says.

"And so do I, apparently."

Truth be told, Rossi is probably right. Even Galt expects that in tomorrow night's elimination round, she may end up in the "bottom three" and be forced to sing for her survival.

The general consensus seems to be that the 13 survivors left will eventually be pared down to a one-on-one rock-off between Rossi and the show-stopping, South African-born flower child Goth chick, Dilana Robichaux. She's a tiny, barefoot, multiply-pierced powerhouse, equal parts Janis Joplin, Marianne Faithfull and Bjork.

Four hours earlier, two shuttle buses pull up outside the Price is Right studio at CBS Television City.

Fifty critics attending the annual fall previews have been invited into the rarified Rock Star world, to attend tonight's taping and then party with the principals afterward at the mansion.

The judging panel is again anchored by Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers) — when he isn't busy trading barbs and innuendo with returning co-host Brooke Burke.

As we take our seats and settle in, handlers carefully prod the rest of the crowd into a responsive frenzy — I have attended dozens of TV tapings, but have never seen a studio audience so thoroughly rehearsed: "Okay now, another `Oooooooh!' Just the girls now. Now again, without the giggles ..."

The show's house band takes its place on stage. Then "the rockers" assemble in an alcove, perched on over-stuffed ottomans, nervously awaiting their 90 seconds in the spotlight. Finally, Brooke and the Supernova boys ...

The show begins with scenes of recent interaction inside the mansion, with the contenders squabbling over who gets to sing what.

"There's nothing better than a good cat-fight or a good bar-room brawl," allows drummer Tommy Lee. "You guys are finally starting to act like rock stars."

Watching at home, I had always assumed the judges' comments were edited down after the fact. Turns out that these guys don't have that many words at their disposal.

Some comments will be cut — or at least, partially bleeped. And I can pretty much guarantee that tonight's broadcast version will not include the boys' more candid comments, dissing American Idol and Bon Jovi.

Among the contestants, all now seems forgiven, as they gamely cheer each other on.

Rossi, fourth up, sings the Stones' "Let's Spend the Night Together" ... and though he later complains about the choice of material, in performance he pretty much nails it.

There is an awkward moment afterwards when Navarro accuses him of "arrogance" — in this case, intended as a compliment. Or, in Navarro's words, "absolutely awesome, dude!" Lee will later confess, "Lukas scares me." This, too, is apparently perceived as an asset.

And on it goes, intro, song, judges, intro, song, judges, break, touch-up, re-record ...

I am, despite the volume, about to nod off when Galt finally takes to the stage as the evening's penultimate act, singing "Drive" by Incubus — and sadly, not very well at all.

"You're a little too Lilith Fair," Supernova guitarist Gilby Clarke says, "and what we want is Ozzfest."

Later on at the party, Galt is philosophical. "It's a real learning process," she concedes.

"I know I've got to start showing it and bringing it. I've just got to get through this next week."

Link

+ Reply to Thread