+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jill Gioia - Supernova

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    She was a totally different singer from Tuesday to Wednesday. I'm not sure she got it completely either.
    I think she has a problem with listening to, and comprehending, the criticism. When she focuses on the singing part of the performance she does fine, it's the rest that gets in the way.

Reality Lite Weight LiteWeightLiz's Avatar
    I will say that the look on Patrice's face at the end of Jill's performance was priceless. You could see Patrice thinking, "Rut roh. There's no way she's going home after that."
    I noticed that, too. Jill completely aced that song. I was in complete awe.

It looked like Gilby was trying to do "damage control" in trying to complement her on her voice before she sang. It's true that she did oversing the song on performance night, she did NOT deserve the bashing she received from all of the judges, IMHO. Especially since Zayra got praise for HER performance. At least Jill sings on key.
    Quote: "Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds." -- Homer Simpson

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...
    Quote Originally Posted by LiteWeightLiz View Post
    I noticed that, too. Jill completely aced that song. I was in complete awe.

It looked like Gilby was trying to do "damage control" in trying to complement her on her voice before she sang. It's true that she did oversing the song on performance night, she did NOT deserve the bashing she received from all of the judges, IMHO. Especially since Zayra got praise for HER performance. At least Jill sings on key.
    Thank you. I thought I was the only person who didn't totally hate her song on performance night. It was oversung, but it wasn't horrible, and it didn't deserve the lambasting they gave it.

She was a totally different singer from Tuesday to Wednesday. I'm not sure she got it completely either. Maybe she just likes to live on the edge? I will say that the look on Patrice's face at the end of Jill's performance was priceless. You could see Patrice thinking, "Rut roh. There's no way she's going home after that."
    I saw that look too, only I was calling it her "oh sh@t look".

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Jill's original song wasn't as bad as the reality show made it out to be. Go listen, it was actually quite good.

It helps that she has the best set of vocal pipes among this group. She just tends to over sing.

Personally, I think they are way overcritical of Jill. I think she's a lot better than some of them that are still there ... and yes, she CAN sing on key ....

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Juls2 View Post
    ... and yes, she CAN sing on key ....
    ......and she can scream off-key......

Jill's Hole and Simple Minds covers were BRUTAL, and I don't use that slang term lightly. Just as bad as Zayra's weakest efforts, even worse because you expect better from her. And on top of it, she's been snotty to the band and humped Gilby after whacking him with the mic stand.

Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN View Post

Jill's Hole and Simple Minds covers were BRUTAL, and I don't use that slang term lightly. Just as bad as Zayra's weakest efforts, even worse because you expect better from her. And on top of it, she's been snotty to the band and humped Gilby after whacking him with the mic stand.
    Dayum, Gilby should have been happy to have a cute young thing like Jill humping him ... he's not exactly the hottest boy rocker on the block ...

Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN View Post

Perhaps. But Zayra was very arrogant in her disregard for the band's comments, while Jill was just stupid and flustered.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Heres my criticism for Jill....she oversings every song. And that can be a far worse than faltering pitch.... I think Jill just needs to learn how to dynamically sing, so she isnt belting every note....learning to sing her lower register so its not muddy and learning to sing her head voice without belting, so there is a nice airy quality to it. Because the girl can belt it out, which is good....but should be used in small doses and we need to be built up to that sound....by starting at 200 mph, there is no where else for her to go but down. She just needs to learn to use her diaphragm better so shes not using her throat to scream, which will help her showcase that she can sing other notes on the staff instead of belting out a high C for the entire song.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast