+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Dilana - Supernova

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    She may be talented, she may be good, but those piercing on her face are totally distracting in a bad way. I don't understand why rockers feel they have to mutiliate themselves to be credible - and that includes all the ugly tatoos they plaster over their bodies.
    For some, it's a tribal impulse, for some it's a rebellion, for some it's their artistic sensibility, and for yet others its simply experimentation.

But all of these impulses are pretty much in line with the roots of rock and roll. It has nothing to do with being credible, although with some it might be a confidence builder to help show remind themselves that they aren't simply one of the "drones" who work in an office. Maybe it says something about them that they need that reminder, but it doesn't invalidate it.

I have a lot of "rock memories" which aren't based on being scared, shocked or intimidated. But frankly I also have plenty which DO have to do with that. It's a long tradition, and not necessarily a bad one, to have your foundations shook up a bit. And women aren't "supposed to be" "intimidating" or "different" in our culture. Ergo, it could be kind of a good move for her to play that card (although she seems very personable when NOT singing, and that probably helps too).

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    She may be talented, she may be good, but those piercing on her face are totally distracting in a bad way.
    I'm with you on this, I hate any type of facial piercings. She'd look a lot better without them IMO.

Well for those that don't like their rock modern, hard, and dirty perhaps American Idol may be a better choice, taking into consideration the overall look and sound of the band.
    Last edited by horsnhound; 07-08-2006 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boop2 View Post
    Yes I know what you mean, but just because she sang that one song people are already knocking her she gets into the songs she sings. but I am telling you the best is yet to come go check out her web page and then let me know what you think.hell is has to say something to open for Joe Cocker back in holland

www.myspace.com/dilanarox
    Whoa, those clips on her myspace page are freaking awesome. I'm totally in love with this girl's voice.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

The Black Crows cover kicks major butt. It certainly puts to bed any of the notions all she can do is Kurt Cobain or Stevie Nicks. What am I talking about, those two are ALREADY polar opposites?

I suppose people who hear the "Hit Me Baby" cut will complain as if she's somehow aping Marty, simply because he did both "Lithium" AND that song. Wait for it... the comment is coming soon from SOME smartass. Nevermind that both she and Marty are probably jointly copying Fountain of Wayne's version.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    The Black Crows cover kicks major butt. It certainly puts to bed any of the notions all she can do is Kurt Cobain or Stevie Nicks. What am I talking about, those two are ALREADY polar opposites?

I suppose people who hear the "Hit Me Baby" cut will complain as if she's somehow aping Marty, simply because he did both "Lithium" AND that song. Wait for it... the comment is coming soon from SOME smartass. Nevermind that both she and Marty are probably jointly copying Fountain of Wayne's version.
    Your right Krom, somebody will say something but who the hell cares. her fans and friends know what she is about notting else matters. no matter what happens with Dilana she will have a contract with Supernova or without them.

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    "Coincidence" aside, she kicked butt opening night and THAT matters, more than her fans and friends.

She did a great job singing the chorus of Lithium in her encore. She's #1 for now.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by horsnhound View Post
    Well for those that don't like their rock modern, hard, and dirty perhaps American Idol may be a better choice, taking into consideration the overall look and sound of the band.
    I don't know about that. Having piercings doesn't make you "hard" just like wearing makeup (for men, I mean) doesn't make you fey. Kurt Cobain had no piercings (visible anyhow) and he was rougher (and better) than any of the guys in SuperNova. I'm not a fan of piercings or tattoos either, but that didn't bother me about Dilano. I just didn't think she did a good job with "Lithium." It was histrionic, not passionate.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-09-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    I don't know about that. Having piercings doesn't make you "hard" just like wearing makeup (for men, I mean) doesn't make you fey. Kurt Cobain had no piercings (visible anyhow) and he was rougher (and better) than any of the guys in SuperNova. I'm not a fan of piercings or tattoos either, but that didn't bother me about Dilano. I just didn't think she did a good job with "Lithium." It was histrionic, not passionate.

I thought Dilana did a great job with the song how are you going to be passionate with a song called " Lithium " it is about a person that hears voices in thier head whats passionate with that.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by horsnhound View Post
    So, you need to fill your face with metal to be into hard rock? I must have missed that memo.

+ Reply to Thread