+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Dilana - Supernova

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy;2208552;
    As soon as his visa problem gets worked out, that guitarist will apparently be Magni.

And speaking of Magni: According to posts on his official fansite, he and his wife are divorcing.

Oh I can't tell you how sad that makes me...........

On a sidenote: CONGRATULATIONS on your 1000th post LAGuy!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

LAGuy only now hit his 1000 posts?? Something's wrong...

Sad news for Magni and his wife. Hopefully Magni hasn't gotten a little too starstruck here in the States and is willing to give up a wife and beautiful new baby. That's sad.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Dilana

Dilana: 'American Idol' is 'cheesy!'
    By KYLE MUNSON
    REGISTER MUSIC CRITIC
    February 5, 2007

Dilana Robichaux lost the battle but may yet win the war.

The musician from Houston, Texas, was runner-up to Lukas Rossi last year on "Rock Star: Supernova," the CBS reality-TV series that drummed up a lead singer for a new band with three veteran hard rock dudes: Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee, Guns N' Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke and Metallica bassist Jason Newsted. (Black Crowes bassist Johnny Colt has since replaced the injured Newsted on tour.)

But it's hard to tell in the topsy-turvy world of reality-TV which instant celeb will stick around and which will fade. So, even though Dilana will open Wednesday's concert at Wells Fargo Arena for Rock Star Supernova, she's also finishing up a new album that at least stands a chance to surpass her headlining act: Rock Star Supernova's debut sold fewer than 17,000 copies its first week of release in November and peaked at No. 101 on the Billboard charts.

Dilana, 34, was born in South Africa and criss-crossed Europe with a popular cover band before she relocated to Houston, Texas, in the late '90s. She paid her dues in nightclub gigs and nearly died in a 2004 motorcycle crash before "Rock Star: Supernova" came calling.

Dilana provided candid answers last week in an e-mail Q&A, including a swipe at "American Idol" as the "ultimate definition of cheesy!"

Q: Talk about your upcoming album. What familiar names will appear on it? Do you feel pressure to hit this one out of the ballpark?

A: I have about six songs that are pretty much done and a slew of others in various stages of completion. There are high-energy rock songs as well as slower, more dramatic ones. Most are brand-new songs but there are a couple of older ones that I've re-worked. ... Adrian Young from No Doubt has been very cool and supportive and has already been playing drums on the tracks. Of course, Gilby Clarke and Dave Navarro have also become great friends and musical companions. The only pressure I feel is to put the TV show behind me and just get back to being a musician. I love singing and performing live so I'm just hyper-focused on getting back to that reality (no pun intended).

Q: How's your new indie record label turning out?

A: So far, so good ... I'll let you know after the CD release and I've sold platinum! I know from past experiences with labels that artists rarely find a mutual level of happiness and satisfaction. It also always seems as if I'm the most eager one. So I am thrilled to be on the other end and to "be the boss" of my indie label. I've only released songs through iTunes and Napster and am mostly using the Internet to promote. Once we release the CD in stores, I guess I'll get a better idea of what it's really like to run a label.

Q: What's your biggest regret about your "Rock Star" experience? Your biggest flub?

A: No regrets at all. Biggest flub: Mmm ... Tearing my calf muscle towards the end of the show was a bummer for me. I went running two days before and knew that I would hurt later as we were never allowed outside of the mansion grounds to go for a real, hard run until that day. So, knowing my body, I should've stretched and warmed up more before jumping around on stage during camera rehearsal. Ultimately, that injury affected my performance, which really p----d me off!

Q: Why do you think "Rock Star" plays second fiddle to "American Idol"? Do you respect or enjoy the voice/music of any particular Idol?

A: In my opinion, ("American Idol") is the ultimate definition of cheesy! Given that, I admire Kelly Clarkson for her vocal ability, her endurance and the material that she performs. That chic can definitely sing.

Q: How would you like to improve as a musician in the next 5-10 years?

A: I want to see myself become a very competent songwriter. I am quite capable but have a world of knowledge to gain when it comes to putting my thoughts down on paper. I still feel very restricted and frustrated at times.

Q: You're a single woman and finding it: tougher, easier or more fun to date and develop relationships in the wake of your reality-TV fame?

A: That's the last thing on my list of priorities at this time. For now, my relationship is with my music. I've actually proposed marriage! The good thing about a partner like this is, there's rarely any bitching, jealousy, boredom or uncertainty. It's a sure thing. One day, I would love a "home." Maybe a child, too.

Q: Tally for me your number of piercings and tattoos. And which is your favorite piece of body art?

A: I have 16 piercings and a bunch of tattoos - 9 pieces and a full sleeve. I refer to my body art as my epidermal scrapbook and love them all.

Q: What has spurred you to found your own AIDS charity?

A: I witnessed a lot of suffering from AIDS growing up in a Third World country, South Africa. I am very aware of the seriousness of this epidemic and of the fact that there are very little resources to help with this tragic but very real problematic situation. I want to do everything in my power to help in some way. To make society more aware of the risks of unprotected sex, the reality that children are born with AIDS without any choice. It saddens and angers my heart just thinking about those innocent lives having to suffer and pay the price of a selfish adult not thinking further than their genitals.

Q: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is about to unveil a list of what it's calling the "Definitive 200" albums of all time. Which album would you put on the list?

A: Now that's NOT fair! ONE album ... oh my God! Any one of Johnny Cash's last three albums. Thanks!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Even though she thinks AI is I still love her! I can't wait to hear her CD!

Cheesy or not there will be many that come from AI that will go on to be much more successful than Dilana. Good luck to her.

FORT Fogey
    AI is cheesy and records sales doesn't mean it's all good. Granted Kelly and others are talented. But AI will never produce the brillance of John Lennon, Steve Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Lena Horne, Bob Dylan, Ricky Lee Jones, Joni Mitchell and the list can go on and on. When talent is based on a popularity contest and who can vote multiple times- true originality is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2231155;
    Cheesy or not there will be many that come from AI that will go on to be much more successful than Dilana. Good luck to her.
    She seems to have acknowledged that, at least in Kelly's case.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar
    I've purchased her album from itunes and can't wait to hear her Indie effort. I hope she can develop her writing to match her incredible performance gift. As far as AI - it's a whole different animal from hard rock, isn't it? To a hard-rocker, pop probably sounds cheesy. I'm interested and impressed that she would place any one of Johnny Cash's last three album in the top 200...go DILANA!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: Dilana - Supernova

I was feeling nostalgic and I just re-watched some of her performances on YouTube and I have to say...I really miss her! She was unbelievably awesome!!!

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I rewatch the Rock Star tapes periodically, and love her just as much every time! I'm really missing this show and Dilana especially. After all these months, I rewatch the performances and still find myself loving Magni, Toby and Storm too, and not caring for Lukas and Ryan. I have to say, though, I look at Zayra with a new appreciation. She definitely wasn't a fit for this band, but there was something different about her that I like in a different context.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2425086;
    I rewatch the Rock Star tapes periodically, and love her just as much every time! I'm really missing this show and Dilana especially. After all these months, I rewatch the performances and still find myself loving Magni, Toby and Storm too, and not caring for Lukas and Ryan. I have to say, though, I look at Zayra with a new appreciation. She definitely wasn't a fit for this band, but there was something different about her that I like in a different context.
    I feel exactly the same way Blues...those are the same ones I miss....I did watch Lukas' "Headspin" and even though I still couldn't understand half the damn words, I do like that song.....I watched Toby's "Throw it All Away" and I caught myself going around singing it all day...especially the hook!

Zayra was different....not bad...not good....just different!

+ Reply to Thread