+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Dilana - Supernova

And Tommy Lee kind of dissed Dilana last night on Jimmy Kimmel, too. Jimmy asked some open-ended question about problems that might occur when the SN guys "hang" with the contestants, like in Vegas, and if anyone ever became a problem (something like that), and Tommy volunteered that Dilana had gotten falling down drunk and had to be carried out like a sack of potatoes.

I kind of got the feeling that if the SN guys still (or ever?) thought of Dilana as "the one," he probably wouldn't have been so quick to badmouth her in front of a nationwide audience on another show. Of course, I guess that could have been a round-about way of "explaining away" the verbal indiscretions that have landed Dilana in so much hot water.

Arielflies, I totally agree with your last post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies
    She is in pain. Yes, she deserved the chastisement for being too open with the press but she doesn't deserve the continuing public outcry as a result. From the audience small applause at her name being called to SuperNova's stone faces, anyone with a sensitive soul would be affected. She can't grow a thick skin in 7 days - can't be done if at all. When she dedicated Psycho Killer to herself she was working on raw emotion and raw emotion is what she produced with that song. This was a song she had never sung before but it spoke to her in her current abyss.

I hate the fact that Lukas has received a redemption edit the last two shows while Dilana has been painted in the darkest light. The woman has talent, a gift and an ego. Now she also has a superego (as in self critic) which may shut it all down. This whole scene makes me very sad.

Come Back Dilana wherever you are.
    :

Dilana's "mea culpas," were unnnecessarily prefaced with stuff like "Everybody screws up." I hate it when people tack stuff like that or like "It takes a big person to admit they're wrong ..." onto their apologies, because it seems they fear they would totally lose face if they just plain said, "I was out of line. I'm sorry."
    But I can't help thinking that the concept of "a truly humble, penitent rock star" may be an oxymoron -- at least in the eyes of the SN guys. They dissed Dana for being too nice. Can Dilana (or any female contestant) risk being seen as "soft" or very polite? Dilana's on a thin tightrope here, and I'm not sure there's any way she could act that would please all her (present and former) fans and the SN guys too.

I really hope she bounces back next week and delivers like she did Tuesday night, even if she's in the bottom group again. (Nobody's safe now that it's down to 5.) The show will lose a lot of its appeal for me if she's gone.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

What SO troubles me about people's recent reactions to her (and yet I also understand it, because Reality Show viewing and the accompanying online forum reading has given me some insight into mass psychology) is how the dislike of her words have subtly changed some opinions of her music.

I'm kind of the type who almost absolutely separates exhibition of talent from personality, and it tends to take violations on the level of Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson to really turn me. At that point I admit I can be VERY viscous (go read comments by me in the FORT threads on Cruise and Gibson if you don't believe that), but even then I have to admit that Cruise was good in "Risky Business" (very rarely since--and I thought this BEFORE he got all Super-Scientology) and that "Mad Max" and one or two other Gibson films are still pretty fun to watch. Michael Jackson music is still good. "Beretta" is still one of the best early 1970's cop shows. You get the point.

I'm especially mystified by the abundance of recent comments that "all of Dilana's performances sound the same". A big "huh" and shocked "wow" simultaneously to that. The Dilana who did Nirvana sounds almost nothing like the one who did Cyndi Lauper to me. Those are the extremes, I admit, but I think all of her other performances have been in a spectrum between those. Admittedly its always HER distinctive sounding voice, but stylistically she's hardly a one-trick pony.

On some level I think I actually may like her more now that the "image" of perfection is gone. During the early weeks the editing showed her as just another member of the big happy "Rock Star" family. I wasn't really interested in her off-stage persona until she got drunk and poured booze in Lukas' belly button. A lot of what followed since then seems to play on the theme that somewhere along the way she actually realized she wanted to win this thing (she seemed a bit blase earlier on) and was reacting to comments we all heard earlier in the show about her bizarre lack of self-confidence after the Cyndi Lauper performance. So she overcompensated right back.

Anyway, I've kind of enjoyed the fact that she's a bit snotty now, as much about herself as Ryan and Lukas (who were both subtle targets of her last show--you DID notice for example her comment at the end of the show about Ryan aping her "jumping off the crates" move, right?). These comments are ones I might make in the same circumstance if I was facing jerks like Ryan and Lukas. Note that for all that, Dilana seems to have some genuine feelings for someone NICE like Storm. That, of all things, reassures me she's no mega-beyotch.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I'm with you, Krom. Bob Dylan is reputedly one arrogant, nasty bastard, but I still think his songwriting merits the place he holds as a music legend. Russell Crowe is a fine actor even if he's a SOB. And some of my favorite entertainers (Belushi, Joplin, Hendrix, Hank Williams, Elvis, Jim Morrison, and, yes, Jacko, etc.) have had really [FA edit] up personal lives.

I don't see the Rock Star contestants as competing for Mr./Ms. Congeniality or for sainthood.
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 09-01-2006 at 01:18 AM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    I don't think LAGuy meant that they were literally canned Ooohs and Ahhhs... just that the concert of immediate oooohs and ahhhhs sounded canned.

I'm actually wondering if Dilana's done something to piss off the producers to the point they wanted to do this to her. This seems more than just a little "manufactured" drama exposed just to create ratings. There really seems to be an agenda behind it.
    No, they actually tape the audience doing "ooohs" and "aaahs" prior to taping the show for use during the edits.

As for Dilana, I think they saw her as running away with the whole thing and had to knock her down a peg or two (or three, as the case may be). It really kills me that the public fell for their shenanigans - we all should know better.

i dunno... i dug the version she did.... but then i am a fan of hers *shrugs* Do we all not remember the stupid stuff Lukas said the FIRST elimnation show? Where was the backlash against SkunkBoy?
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

FORT Regular
    I absoulutely hated her version of Pshycho Killer. But, I have not been thoroughly impressed with her for a while. As a performer, you always know what to expect from her. She would not be my first option.

as for her personality, it was not this recent episode that exposed her. I was turned off when in Vegas she started to backstab people in Tommy's ears...

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres View Post
    No, they actually tape the audience doing "ooohs" and "aaahs" prior to taping the show for use during the edits.
    Gotcha! I misinterpreted that.

SuperBrat.. there was backlash towards Lukas with his nasty comments that first week. In fact, I think the negative feeling about him has stayed with a lot of people (myself included) from the get-go because of that. But the main difference is that Lukas hadn't been put on a pedastal at that point, so Dilana's situation has hurt more because it was a much longer fall.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fanatic
    i hope "dream on" by aerosmith is one of the next song choices, and dilana gets it. she is the only one who i think would rock that song along with storm. the guys would destroy it, much worse than jordis.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella View Post
    And Tommy Lee kind of dissed Dilana last night on Jimmy Kimmel, too. Jimmy asked some open-ended question about problems that might occur when the SN guys "hang" with the contestants, like in Vegas, and if anyone ever became a problem (something like that), and Tommy volunteered that Dilana had gotten falling down drunk and had to be carried out like a sack of potatoes.
    This was on a night after all the debate about dissing your fellow rockers to the press . Lukas, if he hears about this, will be horrified. He has said he would never bag on them...uh hun; Lukas as our moral compass. . And if Dilana hears about the interview, how will it affect her emotional state? I know this double standard of press-speak makes me angry and if I were Dilana and didn't want the gig so bad, I would call Tommy on it during post-song review and then stage a walk-off starting with a raised digit. But that's just me...she wants this and would probably use her new found power of discretion to send him a killer glare but not speak.

The nastiest part of getting your music heard is the interview seduction. Barbara Walters always gets tears - and Oprah confessions. And they are two of the "good guys."

Find your smile Dilana, but watch out for the blows to the solar plexis.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

In my mind, stating that someone got falling down drunk isn't "dissing on them". It's stating a fact. Completely unlike the comments Dilana made.

If he'd said something like "Dilana was a real pain in the ass in Vegas and we couldn't control her", that would be different. But falling down drunk is either true or untrue, and not subjective.

+ Reply to Thread