+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Dilana - Supernova

It is amazing that she plays the psycho on stage and does it very well. But, seems like a very genuine, nice person. She seems visibly upset when another hopeful goes and is helping to groom the younger girls.

Definitely should be their choice, hands down.

Great version of that Joplin song too!

Dilana had actually begun to bore me, because I thought she was just some kind of one-track rawk machine. So I appreciated seeing the human side of her this week; giving Dana that advice was really sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    So, you need to fill your face with metal to be into hard rock? I must have missed that memo.
    No, not at all..you see, that's the thing about Hard Rock...anything goes...metal in your face, or no metal...It's All Good!

Rockin' the competition

It's like Big Brother meets American Idol as Lone Star singer Dilana tries to explode into Supernova

By BRUCE WESTBROOK
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Bruce Springsteen once wailed at the end of marathon shows, "I'm a prisoner of rock 'n' roll!" Dilana Robichaux can relate.

While competing on CBS' Rock Star: Supernova, she's locked down at a Los Angeles mansion she shares with other contestants vying to become lead singer of the supergroup Supernova.

"We're sequestered, basically," Dilana said of her life behind the scenes. "I just talked to my boyfriend (Steven Essary of Houston), and our calls are monitored, so I can't get too serious with him."

One way she showed her devotion was to wear a T-shirt that read "I Love My Boyfriend" on last week's Internet show about life at the mansion, found at rockstar.msn.com.

"They underestimated my sneakiness," she said, laughing.

Of the 15 singers cast, Dilana has drawn some of the highest praise from the show's judges, first for a freaked-out version of Nirvana's Lithium, then for the haunting Middle Eastern vibe she gave Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire. Last week she unleashed the Cranberries' dramatic Zombie, which judge Dave Navarro deemed a "give-you-chills" performance.

Singers choose songs from old and new rock music amassed by the show's producers. Unlike American Idol, there's no age limit (Dilana is 34), and most singers have professional experience.

"We are older, wiser, more grounded and do this for a living," Dilana said. "Supernova knows what they're going to get: someone who's serious."

She's been at it since singing as a child in her homeland of South Africa, then for six years in Holland.

"I had Top 10 hits in Holland and made music videos for MTV Europe, but I couldn't go any further," Dilana said. "It's a small country."

She moved to Houston 4 1/2 years ago when her husband was transferred in his job. They divorced and he left, but she stayed, getting gigs around town.

"Now I live in Spring, so I'm getting gigs there and in The Woodlands," Dilana said. "I've had a couple on Westheimer. I'm slowly trying to work my way downtown. Wherever the gigs are, that's where I'm at."

Where she is now is before a global TV audience. Rock Star may lack Idol's ratings, but it's seen in more than 40 countries, where viewers vote by phone or Internet. The contestants perform on Tuesdays (the show airs at 8 p.m.) and Supernova drops one singer each Wednesday night (that show starts at 7) from the viewers' bottom three.

Dilana was watching last year, "and fell in love with the show and its House Band. They were actually my inspiration."

So she applied and was chosen from among 20,000 others for private auditions.

"It was a grueling process," said Dilana, who first sang for judges in Austin. "Finally I was in the top 100, then the top 50. Then I did two auditions for Supernova in Los Angeles. Then they called and said, 'You made it. Get your (butt) out here!' "

Though tattooed, pierced, chained and often frenzied, "I'm not as crazy as I seem on stage," said Dilana, who includes Tina Turner as a role model "for her professionalism."

"I'm extremely focused, because this is so important to me," she said. "I love my music. My home is the stage. That's where everything comes out. You have to be true to that true to yourself. But offstage I maintain my sanity. You have to stay grounded, because there's so much pressure."

Some pressure comes from herself. After 18 years of gigs, Dilana sees Rock Star as her last chance to hit it big.

"Not that I'll quit if I'm not chosen," she said. "I'm a singer. It's in my blood, and I will always do it. But I feel this is my last chance to make the big time. It's the real thing, and I'm so happy to be here."

Contestants soon will sing their original material along with rock classics. Besides crafting songs, they've also worked with a vocal coach, who taught Dilana how to raise her voice.

"I'd never had vocal coaching and never knew I was a baritone," she said. "I actually get the boys' warm-ups 'cause my voice is so low the lowest in the house. But I finally learned to use my falsetto."

Last year, all-male INXS picked a male J.D. Fortune from a mix of male and female singers. Supernova comes from a more macho heavy-metal bent, yet Dilana "wouldn't be surprised if they pick a chick."

She sparked this hope with a wake-up call. Early in the process, Dilana noticed that Supernova drummer Tommy Lee "just hung out with the guys (in the cast). So I stopped him and said, 'Dude, why are you blowing off chicks? We're in this thing, too. Don't treat us like outcasts.' And he actually high-fived me and hugged me, and ever since, he's changed. I honestly feel the band has had a wake-up call."

Even if she doesn't win, Dilana will be grateful for "the best exposure I could have had," and she plans to stay in Houston.

"My boyfriend is there, so I'm pretty much stuck in Houston, but I don't mind," she said. "Everyone in L.A. is like, 'Why do you live there?' But I love Houston people. They're very friendly and down-to-earth."

For now, she's locked down in Los Angeles and staying busy.

"Things are hectic here," Dilana said. "We rehearse with the House Band twice a week and constantly work on our music arranging songs or writing new ones.

"There's a lot of pressure on us, but we're loving it. We are living in the moment and soaking it all in, because this is a dream come true."

Link

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander View Post
    Loved it. I'm hoping she doesn't win, and becomes a solo act. She doesn't need those guys.
    I agree 100%, after all this exposure she's much better off without Tommy Lee and company. If she wins can she refuse the gig? or is she under contract to accept?

I saw a Levi's commercial with a female voice singing Ring of Fire. Is that Dilana?

Premium Member
    I love Dilana's voice, I would pay to listen to her.

LKH
    Dilana's my choice to win this thing. The first two performances scared and shocked the hell out of me. She's like nails on chalkboard - it hurts - but in a GOOD way. If they want a lead singer who will shake the listeners out of their tired old ruts, this is the gal.

☆ Janie Queen of BB cottoncandy's Avatar
    Last week, I thought I saw a cloud of gnats and dust flying off of her when she was in the halo of light on stage. But this week, her hair looked clean and shiny. At first her voice and her stage presence scared me. But maybe it was just my aversion to Nirvana. In the past couple weeks, her voice has really grown on me. It is a unique voice, that is powerful yet she keeps it in control. She can scream and growl with the best of them, but hearing her just plain sing, as she did with the stripped down Time After Time really shows off her voice. She also seems kind hearted.

She is totally lying about her age. She's older than 33. She looks at least eleven years older.

Just saw this posted on another site...
    Dilana and Storm are going to be doing hour long interviews on an internet radio show next month.
    www.ntgradio.com

+ Reply to Thread