+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Lee rumored act for Rock Star 2

Tommy Lee rumored act for Rock Star 2

http://www.melodicrock.com/

AND THE ROCK STAR IS...:
    It has been the source of speculation for months. But finally news is about to be made official. Get ready for Rock Star: Tommy Lee.
    The star drummer has been in negotiations with the show's producers for the last few weeks (you might recall my hint of March 1) to take on a star role in the revamped show format. The house band will be retained, with Tommy Lee - the Motley Crue drummer and seasoned solo artist - taking the place of Inxs searching for his next Rock Star lead vocalist. The winner will front Lee's next studio album and a tour (timing to be determined).
    Rumors over who would front the show following Inxs' 2005 role have been widespread since the first season finale. After a suitable band could not be found, it was originally decided to gather a group of name musicians and search for a singer for a brand new band - until Lee stepped in that is.

An official announcement is expected within a day or two, but Lee gave this hint away as recently as yesterday in an interview with the Richmond Times-Dispatch. (thanks to Blabbermouth for the link) Lee's interview extract:
    Q. Any chance of another season of "Tommy Lee Goes to College" or are your academic days over?
    A. In about two days you're gonna hear a statement about something new. I'm looking at the press release right now, but I can't tell you what it is.
    Q. Is it an NBC press release?
    A. No, a different network.
    Q. But we'll be seeing you back on TV?
    A. Absolutely.
    And this from one of the show's hosts, guitarist Dave Navarro: "As for Rockstar, I still am unable to comment, but the press release should be a day or two away. As soon as the line up is announced, I'll be able to answer some questions about the season and finally chime in. It will be a different show this year, but one that should certainly be entertaining to watch."
    Stay tuned for that official announcement and press release.

I wouldn't mind this at all. You can never have enough Tommy Lee.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Awful choice. Just because he had another reality show, that doesn't mean he should be the one they are auditioning for. How good is his solo career? Lousy from what I can tell. One near hit does not make him good or successful...

FORT Fan
    Just how much material does Tommy Lee have for the contestants to perform for him? I'm not really a fan of his or Motley Crue's so this is a disappointing choice for me but I'll probably give it a chance anyway. Thanks

Agree with you paulvons, unless they cover Motley stuff there will be little for them to sing... And no one would know his solo stuff anyway.

Tommy Lee's possible involvement with a second season of Rock Star is not the whole story. Dave Navarro posted the following tease on his website yesterday:

Looks like there has been somewhat of a "leak" regarding Rockstar this year, but don't get too comfortable, what you have heard literally isn't even the half of it... Trust me. All I will add is that the show will feature an ensemble cast. Yes, the new band will have a drummer, but that does leave plenty of slots open now doesn't it? Hmmmmmmm.
    From that comment, it looks to me like they'll be going with the "Super Group" concept after all.

Looks like you're right LAGuy. Looks like we may have repeat contestants as well... (Bold emphasis mine.)

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Today/En...86564-sun.html

Rock Star hopefuls shake off cold rain
    Tue, March 14, 2006
    By CP

TORONTO -- Wielding umbrellas to fend off a heavy downpour and doing jumping jacks to stay warm, hundreds of aspiring singers turned out at a downtown bar yesterday for the chance to perform for talent scouts from reality TV's Rock Star.

Producers expect to hear from more than 2,000 hopefuls during their three-day visit to the Horseshoe Tavern, one of two dozen stops on an audition tour to find a lead singer for a still-unnamed band.

"It was totally raining, but it was totally worth it," said a soggy Jason Taylor, 31, of Rockwood, as he prepared to sing one of his original compositions for the judges. "I get to play at the Horseshoe, meet some cool musicians and get some more experience."

Fresh on the minds of many in line was J.D. Fortune, who won last year's contest, in which finalists competed to become the lead singer of INXS. As winner, the Nova Scotia-raised singer went on to record a CD with the band and is currently on its world tour.

Hopeful Amanda Robb said she was confident the judges would once again see promise in local contestants.

"Canadian talent is the best there is out there," proclaimed the 28-year-old, who drove in from Peterborough. "It wouldn't surprise me at all if they picked a Canadian."

Singers began queuing Sunday evening for the chance to audition. By yesterday morning, the line snaked along the city's trendy Queen Street West, despite periods of heavy rain.

Inside the venue, one of the most popular live music spots in the city, singers were lined up around a pool table and along the bar waiting for their turn to perform one song for the judges. Songs ran the gamut from AC/DC's Thunderstruck to Heart's Alone and David Bowie's Rebel Rebel. Many brought guitars. Others sang a cappella.

Unlike last year, when the members of INXS participated in the talent search, unknown producers stood in for the unnamed band.

Those auditioning were only told judges were open to hearing a range of singing styles, giving as examples John Mayer, Chester of Linkin Park, Joss Stone and Amy Lee of Evanescence.

The man behind the hit TV show, Mark Burnett, promised the group would be revealed by week's end.

"(They are) very complicated agreements. You have a TV agreement, record agreement, a tour agreement, and there are a few people in the band," the reality TV impresario said yesterday from Los Angeles.

The Rock Star outfit will be a brand new group comprised of members from existing or defunct bands, he said. Tommy Lee and members of Van Halen are among the rumoured participants.

"Last year was the year to prove ourselves and the integrity that we stood for to the rock community. We're gonna really, really grow this year," said Burnett, adding competition for Season Two will be fierce.

"I want more great Canadians. It was great last year. The American audience loved it and look how far they got. . . . J.D., honestly, was absolutely perfect for INXS. He's doing a great job."

Aside from looking overseas to Europe and Australia for talent, he expected some of last year's contestants to return for a second go at fame, including Toronto singer Suzie McNeil, who finished the last competition in fourth place.

FORT Fan
    The people who were tired of hearing the words, "Sweet Suzie" better brace thamselves. Thanks

Those auditioning were only told judges were open to hearing a range of singing styles, giving as examples John Mayer, Chester of Linkin Park, Joss Stone and Amy Lee of Evanescence.
    It's official: I'm old. I have no idea who any of those people are.

And I'm not sure what to make of Burnett saying that he "expects" to see some of last year's contestants again. Is that a hint? Did he contact Suzie and tell her to audition? Or was it just an off-the-cuff remark that meant nothing?

Thanks for the article Seadog!
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Looks like Tommy is one of "Supernova"....
    Here is the link to the article I found
    http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/34/11534.php

I think it will be a good season...as long as the talent is as good as last time.
    ---------------------
    opps....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast