Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rockstar back for season 2

Rockstar back for season 2

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...8&cs=1&s=h&p=0

Encore for 'Rock Star'
    Burnett-produced skein gets second season

By JOSEF ADALIAN

"Rock Star""Rock Star" will rock on.

CBS has greenlit production on a second season of the Mark BurnettMark Burnett-produced talent hunt, which got off to a slow start last summer but ended up a sleepersleeper success for the net. SkeinSkein will return this summer, with Dave Navarro and Brooke Burke back as hosts.

Burnett and exec producer David Goffin are keeping a tight lid on details about the new season, saying some key deals have yet to be hammered out.

Original skein was designed to find a new lead singer for AussieAussie rockers INXS. It's unclear whether the new season will be devoted to finding a lead singer for another headless band or go in a completely different direction, such as creating a new band.

Details on the creative direction could be finalized as soon as this week. Casting has already started, with applications being accepted via CBS.com and Rockstar.msn.com.

Whatever changes are made, "At the end of the day, the show will always be about finding a rock star," Goffin said.

Burnett said that even he was surprised by the cult following "Rock Star" built last summer. " 'Survivor's' huge, but wherever I go now, people tell me 'Rock Star' is their favorite show. I'm glad it's back," he told Daily Variety. "We know we're going to get the same audience back next summer. Now it's about growing that audience."

Burnett credited CBS Corp. prexyprexy-CEO Leslie Moonves for sticking by "Rock Star." "Leslie helped in figuring out the content. He really got involved," producer said, noting it was Moonves' idea to have early results in the voting announced on the skein's Tuesday edition.

Burnett said it's likely "Rock Star" will stick with its twice-weekly format on CBS.

Goffin said proof of the show's season-one success is in the sales data for the new INXS album and upcoming tour, which he said is sold out in North America.

A few weeks ago, he said, he was INXS, and there was "Rock Star" winner J.D. Fortune, "who a year ago was sleeping in his car. Now he's in a bed filming a musicvideo with Estella Warren."

In addition to Fortune, runner-up Marty Casey has an album coming out on Burnett's Sony-based imprint, while contestant Mig Ayesa has just signed with Universal Music, Burnett said.

"Rock Star" averaged a 3.1/8 in adults 18-49 for its Tuesday performance show, with ratings increasing throughout the summer and reaching a season high with its finale.

Burnett, Goffin and Lisa Hennessey are exec producers, while Conrad RiggsConrad Riggs serves as co-exec producer

☆ Janie Queen of BB cottoncandy's Avatar
    Wonder who the band will be, or if it will be forming an all new band? Rock Star has almost ruined American Idol for me, because it seemed more exciting and had more of my taste in music. Can't wait for the new season!

FORT Fogey
    Holy Smokes, this is great news for JLuvs!!!!

It'll make me miss Marty Casey even more!
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

I heard on the radio the other day that Van Halen was to be the next band, but then they backed out. Maybe they changed their minds? That would be a lot of fun, and I bet the viewership would increase.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just heard this news and had to check here to see if it was true or not!
    I'm really excited about another season and very curious to see who, if anyone, the "headless" band is.

---------------------
    opps....

Hah...now I am in my own place and have things like rent to pay and food to buy I don't know if I will have the gas money to drive down every week to see it.

I will be watching if from home though.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

The eyes says everything quangtran's Avatar
    Well colour me surprised. I didn't know the rating were good enough to justify another season. The first season was a lot of fun, so I'm looking foward to the new season.

FORT Fan
    I'd be surprised if Burnette is right about the show keeping its audience in a season 2 if they decide to form a whole new band. One of the main reasons I watched season 1 was because I was familiar with the band and liked some of the music. I can't see myself watching a 2nd season if they make such a big change in the show. Thanks

I think he will keep the audience that attended the tapings...I would love it if they looked for a lead singer to go with that houseband as they are supremely amazing. That I would drive in to see.

I went to see the tapings because of the style of music that I knew was going to be sung. I didn't own one INXS cd before the show. In fact I think I knew three of their songs total. Now I have a few of their cds.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast