+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying songs from the show

Did you purchase a song at MSN.com

Well it was a pain and I finally got my computer to play the file I purchased a week ago. I had to uninstall Mediaplayer 10 and reinstall it.

But I purchaed Bohemian Rhapsody by Suzi McNeil and it was even better than on TV.

Has anyone else purchase a song from the show? Which one(s).

giz
    Is it possible for Canadians to purchase songs? I seem to remember someone saying that Australians couldn't?

giz

buying the songs?

I'm having problems buying the songs. We tried MSN but it (bizarrely) said we have to be American to buy. (Why??). Then we tried Apple and Napster, both of whom deny the songs exist In Any Form. They deny to having Wish you Were Here by Floyd, and You Can't Always Get Want by the Stones (thought maybe JD and Marty were as yet perhaps too obscure, but no, those sites have never heard of the Rolling Stones). What are we doing wrong? I want to have Pretty Vegas on my 'puter.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by giz
    I'm having problems buying the songs. We tried MSN but it (bizarrely) said we have to be American to buy. (Why??). Then we tried Apple and Napster, both of whom deny the songs exist In Any Form. They deny to having Wish you Were Here by Floyd, and You Can't Always Get Want by the Stones (thought maybe JD and Marty were as yet perhaps too obscure, but no, those sites have never heard of the Rolling Stones). What are we doing wrong? I want to have Pretty Vegas on my 'puter.
    The song downloads are probably all exclusive to MSN, so competing download services are out of the loop. If MSN downloads *are* being restricted to only those people with billing addresses in the U.S., then that is one of the dumbest marketing maneuvers ever, and is certain to push people to alternative means to getting the songs.

I have the songs, but I didn't get them off MSN. I know that the buying of the songs is restricted and that is rather unfortunate considering the show was watched around the world.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Only Americans can purchase songs. A friend told me it probably relates to rights to the songs. MSN doesn't have worldwide rights to all the songs that can be downloaded from there and they'd have to keep track of which songs are available in which countries if they let people from other countries download. Other sites do allow it though & obviously they have Canadian rights to these songs since it's shown in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin
    The song downloads are probably all exclusive to MSN, so competing download services are out of the loop. If MSN downloads *are* being restricted to only those people with billing addresses in the U.S., then that is one of the dumbest marketing maneuvers ever, and is certain to push people to alternative means to getting the songs.
    It's not just the billing address. You have to have an American issued Visa card. They know what numbers are valid in the U.S. so you can't just use a friend's address or something. It's definitely not related to point of sale (which is the industry I'm in), you can use Cdn or European Visa cards anywhere in the U.S.

As I said on the other thread, it must be related to song rights. It would be lots of work to separate out who can download what so they just set it up for Americans. They've said they're working on fixing it later.

giz
    They emailed me and said its available through local partners in England, Germany and Australia. Thanks a lot guys. RS was very popular up here, and once again we're shafted. Colour me unimpressed.

I don't know if if would be song rights. I've tried to buy a number of things off the internet from major companies and have been rebuffed because I'm Canadian. They'd better not come crying to me when they run out of water, cause I can hold a grudge.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    They emailed me and said its available through local partners in England, Germany and Australia. Thanks a lot guys. RS was very popular up here, and once again we're shafted. Colour me unimpressed.

I don't know if if would be song rights. I've tried to buy a number of things off the internet from major companies and have been rebuffed because I'm Canadian. They'd better not come crying to me when they run out of water, cause I can hold a grudge.
    I always figured it was related to shipping. That's definitely not the problem here.

FORT Newbie
    I have quite a few of the songs, but they are the actual performances and not the MSN studio versions, I believe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast