+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: 9/20 Finale Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Even I would give the tweenie vote for MiG. I think that JD attracts a diverse group of fans, that certainly is not limited by age, and INXS was smart to pick him.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

giz
    Thanks JLuvs, I was afraid it would come across as offensive, which isn't how it was meant. You are admirably open-minded about your favourite. I really appreciate your tone!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantamoi
    I was out of the country all week and finally got to see the finale. Man, I gotta tell ya, I have lost complete respect for INXS. As a long time fan, I cannot believe the result. They could have chosen any one of the final six (save Mig) and I'd at least be curious to see what happens down the road. Instead of choosing someone who seemed authentic and very interesting (Marty), they seem to have gone with an instant pick-me-up by choosing what I would assume a bunch of preteen girls would want. I'm totally confused by these guys going with someone like JD. This long time fan is over and out. Ciao INXS. You guys TOTALLY blew it.
    Pre-teen girls? Sorry, but I think MiG had that segment all to himself.

Whether you or the band is right about JD, I guess time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    Thanks JLuvs, I was afraid it would come across as offensive, which isn't how it was meant. You are admirably open-minded about your favourite. I really appreciate your tone!
    Well I agree with the way you put it...but not the way Remus put it below, it all depends on the way you say it with me. If you would have seen the number of posts that I have written and not posted during this show you might not think so highly of me.

Remus - all of the contestants had some pre-teen fans. Just have to say that. MiG may have the majority, but your comment comes accross as way too broad for me
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    Well I agree with the way you put it...but not the way Remus put it below, it all depends on the way you say it with me. If you would have seen the number of posts that I have written and not posted during this show you might not think so highly of me.

Remus - all of the contestants had some pre-teen fans. Just have to say that. MiG may have the majority, but your comment comes accross as way too broad for me
    Well, my "all" is obviously a hyperbole. But even you think MiG had the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin
    Well, my "all" is obviously a hyperbole. But even you think MiG had the majority.
    I never denied he had the majority. I take all comments as they are written. So if people say all I will assume that they mean it
    -Bono

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin
    Pre-teen girls? Sorry, but I think MiG had that segment all to himself.

Whether you or the band is right about JD, I guess time will tell.
    One of the articles actually said that MiG had older women fans in the audience and that may have hurt him in INXS's eyes. I doubt that's true since older women have more money than little kids to buy CDs...and by older, I'm guessing they mean younger than the guys in INXS still.

I just assumed that even if any young girls watched this show, they'd like Marty (long blond hair, kinda soft spoken and sensitive) or JD (the youngest looking, and therefore closest in age to them--or at least that's how I used to think a million years ago when I was a tween. Kids may be too sophisticated for that kind of thinking now).

I actually don't think JD will last after his year is up, not because he's not talented, but because not even Terence Trent D'Arby lasted very long with them and he was an amazing talent. But JD probably will be able to parlay this into something bigger and better in the future--hopefully like the other contestants. He is such a huge fan of the band's, though, that I can't help thinking that he's going to be disappointed that they are just normal men.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    I think Marty was too different from their style. I mean you wouldn't expect Van Halen to choose Bob Dylan as their front man now would you?
    Like Van Halen has enough money to even try to get Dylan in their band... The difference, of course, is that Dylan and Van Halen play drastically different types of music. Dylan was never much of a hard rock guy...

Marty, on the other hand, has absolutely everything it takes to front a pop-rock band like INXS. I don't think his style would be that foreign to INXS either, especially if they're intent on recording new material and not just rehashing their oldies (which I LOVE). He has a very natural stage presence.

Like Navarro said early on in the show, Marty IS a rock star.

I think it's important to remember that it's difficult for most bands to stay relevant after a few years, much less two decades. There are very few who're consistently putting out good albums still. U2 is doing a pretty good job, though I don't like their last few records nearly as much as I appreciated and enjoyed their earlier works. So in that sense, I have to tip my non-existant hat to INXS for hanging in there and trying still.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 09-24-2005 at 10:34 PM. Reason: wanted to add some more without making another post

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gizI
    think Marty was too different from their style. I mean you wouldn't expect Van Halen to choose Bob Dylan as their front man now would you?
    Nah, Dylan is vastly different from VH. Marty was certainly of a different mold from Hutchence, but not anywhere close to being THAT much different. I think INXS is going to really hurt themselves picking the person who most sounded like Michael. No way could they achieve that perfectly and JD is simply a miniscule talent in comparison. Marty might have been a little odd at times, but he proved that he could make INXS sound viable. I guess my problem is that JD is not someone who is going to make INXS sound or look credible. As angry as I was watching this show tonight I realized that I didn't care much for INXS post "Kick" so I guess I shouldn't be that upset. I just really wanted to see them make a go of it with a singer who really didn't come across so cheesy.

Of course, I think "Pretty Vegas" is an awful song... and "Easy Easy" (?) didn't do much for me either. Guess I'll just keep on keepin' on listening to other newer bands who still have creative abilities to make me love music.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantamoi
    Of course, I think "Pretty Vegas" is an awful song... and "Easy Easy" (?) didn't do much for me either. Guess I'll just keep on keepin' on listening to other newer bands who still have creative abilities to make me love music.
    The studio version of Pretty Vegas is awesome, not as good as live version, but still much better than what I expected. As for Easy, Easy, if what I have heard is correct the song is going to be reworked and JD is going to have some input, so it could come out sounding quite different.
    -Bono

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    The studio version of Pretty Vegas is awesome, not as good as live version, but still much better than what I expected. As for Easy, Easy, if what I have heard is correct the song is going to be reworked and JD is going to have some input, so it could come out sounding quite different.
    JLuvs, what the heck is going on with your avatar? Is that MiG with a flashlight on his face? I actually can't tell!!!!

+ Reply to Thread