+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: 9/20 Finale Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom4Boys
    MiG should take a lesson from Marty on graciousness.

INXS had every right to chose the person they thought was the right man/woman. The only reason people are complaining is because their personal fave lost. It is childish. If you don't like JD, or INXS w/ JD (before, I don't know, say giving them a chance), then don't listen to their songs.

If you have to support your favorite by tearing down somebody else, what does that say?
    This is what is known as the AI syndrome. It happens year after year. Don't support your favorite, but instead tear down all the others. It gets much to personal & these contestants don't deserve it.

THE FINALE REPORT

(Note: A few of these comments are excerpted from my “Live JD Report”, which can be found in his thread. The rest being presented here for the first time.)

Even though the tickets said “9:00 AM Arrival”, we weren’t taking any chances. A couple friends got to the studio gates about 6:30 (good enough to snag them second place in line) and I joined them about 7:15. I usually don’t mind hanging out in line with my buds, but today was different. It was RAINING! Not torrential, but fairly steady. With flashes of lightening and rumbles of thunder. (Atypical weather for L.A.) We stood huddled under umbrellas and ficus trees, hoping that they’d let us in sooner than usual.

HA! Not only didn’t they let the General Public in early, there were even a dozen or so VIPs standing out in the rain – including JD’s mom, Sandy, and his cousins. They were dropped off by cab around 8:30, but were told by the guard that he hadn’t received the complete Guest List yet, so they had to wait. Since I couldn’t stand to see the Mother of the Rockstar-To-Be standing there in the rain, I gallantly gave her my cheap little drugstore umbrella. (She did give it back to me later.)

Sometime around 9:00, we were let onto the studio lot and, eventually, into the studio itself. I felt a little sad walking in there, knowing that this was absolutely, positively, the last time I would be at a Rockstar:INXS taping. <sigh>

The place was packed (as usual) but I managed to make my way to my preferred spot: right in front of the Rockers Pod. After having spent so many weeks in that location, surrounded by many of the same people, I’m sure that Marty, MiG, and JD (especially) were used to seeing a lot of us there.

After the usual introductions (MM&J, Brooke, Dave & Our Band), the dozen other Rockers were introduced and paraded across the stage. Though it was nice to see some of them again, there wasn’t much done with them. But I guess we should all be thankful that we weren’t treated to an Idol-esque Group Sing. <ugh>

Dave conducted a very brief Q&A with JD, Marty & MiG. Before it could get started however, an audience member pointed out to Marty that some of his family was up in the balcony. (I believe JD had already seen his family up there.) Then MiG spots some people – including his wife – and he just loses it. Dude could barely speak, and had to ask Dave for “a moment” to wipe the tears from his eyes.

Stuff that was cut from the Q&A:

JD tried to give a serious answer to the Honda Civic question, “Well, Dave, ummm, I can’t express how great it is…” He then started listing its features (“It has AC and a sunroof…”), but could scarcely keep the grin off his face. After he finally gave up and made the remark about having a new place to live, Dave said something like, “Yeah, I couldn’t believe they had me ask that. I thought it was a pretty stupid question myself.”

Marty’s comments on air (about leaving the Mansion) were substantially as I remember them.

Lastly, Dave asked MiG about how the song-writing with Andrew went. MiG replied that it went very well. He felt they had a real collaboration going on and that he learned a lot.

Well, y’all saw the performances – all of which were very well-received by the crowd, by the way. But you didn’t see the comments afterwards. For each guy, a different member of INXS asked the same question: “Why should we pick you over the other two?”

MiG said that he had given up the most to be there, thereby proving how much he wanted it.

JD said that it was about Love, and that he truly loves INXS.

Marty said that he had been the most upfront & honest about laying out his plans for the future of INXS.

I don’t recall any performance-related comments or critiques, other than Dave’s to JD after YCAGWYW: “JD, we’ve used the words ‘That was awesome’ a lot this season, but we are truly in awe of that performance.”

During the so-called “deliberation period” (before MiG’s ouster), the Band was gone for about 35-40 minutes. However, during that time, the House Band equipment was removed from the stage and the INXS set was put up. So the lengthy break was probably determined by the necessities of production and not by any real deliberation on the part of INXS. I don’t think there was much to deliberate, honestly. There was just no way that INXS was going to make their ultimate decision based solely on one performance.

MiG did receive the full-blown “proper good-bye” treatment from Our Band. His praises were sung by one & all, and he made his way over to the INXS Pod for hugs & handshakes. I think it is unfortunate that this didn’t make it on the air, but I also don’t think it was edited out for any malicious reason. The show ran WAY long (until almost 1:00 PM), so by the time it finished, they only had about 6 hours to get it on the air. Editing was obviously done with a chainsaw instead of a scalpel.

(Note: There are 3 shots of me right after MiG gets cut. I'm the guy on the left of the screen when they show some MiG fan-girlies in the crowd.)

While INXS “deliberated” making their final choice, Dave asked the dozen other Rockers what they had been up to. Most have websites, most have been working on cd’s, most have been performing. Jordis confessed that she went home for a couple days, but then took off for NY. Neal was a Proud Papa, as of the previous Friday. Daphna said that her experience with Rockstar had shown her the superficiality of the business, and so was researching science & string theory. (Whatever.) And Jessica had gotten married.

As Our Band made its way back to the stage for the show-ending mini-concert, a big electric INXS sign was lowered from the rafters. Seeing that sign descend behind JD and the enthusiastic hugs between him and his new Bandmates, was just so freaking emotional that I know die-hard MiG and Marty fans who were moved to tears (in a good way). I know I was.

The mini-concert at the end of the show consisted of Easy Easy (done twice), New Sensation, Need You Tonight, Never Tear Us Apart (with JD passing the mic amongst the other Rockers to sing), Suicide Blonde, Pretty Vegas, and Don’t Change. The Band was really tight & cookin’ – and JD looked like he’d been performing with them for years.

Seeing a Band re-born and a Boy’s dreams come true has been an indescribable experience this summer. (There was also some pretty damn decent rock music along the way.) I want to thank everyone who shared it with me - especially my occasional partner-in-crime JLuvs.

Peace 448
    Last edited by LAGuy; 09-22-2005 at 10:48 PM.

I want to thank everyone who shared it with me - especially my occasional partner-in-crime JLuvs.
    Right back at you

You just made me cry again. I so wish I could have been with you at the show, more than you could ever know, well that is not true....but you know.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    LAGuy, what a beautiful narrative. Thanks for sharing all your inside tidbits for those of us (the majority of us) who were never at any tapings. You're a very good writer. I wish JLuvs had been able to join you for the finale, but I'm certain she's going to get the job she interviewed for!!! (good luck!)

I'll admit I got a little choked up reading about how MiG got choked up when he saw his family there...I'm sure all the guys felt like that seeing their loved ones.

Jessica got married? Holy cow! I wonder -- had she made it to the finals -- if they would've gotten married at the mansion or delayed the wedding...there would've been no need to hire a wedding band with all the talent in the house...

LAGuy, thanks to you & JLuvs for the great reports all season. It has been interesting to hear the perspective on things we weren't shown. If we had only the show to go on I wouldn't even have realised that the band & Dave made comments after the performances this week. Hopefully, they find another band for next year. It made for good summer viewing.

giz
    LAGuy and JLuvs, I have a question. They were constantly showing the same adoring fan woman in the audience. She had (dyed) blonde hair and a California tan. Slightly big nose. Why did they keep showing her? Was she the cameraman's girlfriend? Friend of the band? What was going on with that?

I'd also like to say I'm going to miss the band. Miss seeing Garry (the man has a great smile) and miss seeing Kirk and his amused face. I always liked listening to them, as they tended to exist outside the hyperbole which was Brooke and Dave. I'm really hoping they will tour and do lots of Canadian dates - hope JD has some influence there. I think they would do well with Canadian dates as the show did so well here.
    Last edited by giz; 09-24-2005 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    LAGuy and JLuvs, I have a question. They were constantly showing the same adoring fan woman in the audience. She had (dyed) blonde hair and a California tan. Slightly big nose. Why did they keep showing her? Was she the cameraman's girlfriend? Friend of the band? What was going on with that?
    I think I know exactly what person you are talking about and I know that she was a VIP and went to the same spot every week. If I remember correctly, as I was listening once when some people greeted her, she was not a family member of a contestant, but a VIP of one of the sponsors.

I am going to miss the house band, especially Nate, but all of them were so great. I am just going to miss the whole thing. Luckily I am being sidetracked with my Mum's wedding so there isn't much time to dwell on everything.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Newbie
    I was out of the country all week and finally got to see the finale. Man, I gotta tell ya, I have lost complete respect for INXS. As a long time fan, I cannot believe the result. They could have chosen any one of the final six (save Mig) and I'd at least be curious to see what happens down the road. Instead of choosing someone who seemed authentic and very interesting (Marty), they seem to have gone with an instant pick-me-up by choosing what I would assume a bunch of preteen girls would want. I'm totally confused by these guys going with someone like JD. This long time fan is over and out. Ciao INXS. You guys TOTALLY blew it.

giz
    Well, to each his own, but I don't know about JD's appealing to the tweenies. I would have thought that was more MiG's thing. Speaking as a JD fan, I think he's attractive, but not my type. I like him because he's a very interesting performer and I think he was the most versatile in his presentation. In some songs he looks intense, some he's smiling, some he's ... well you get my drift. I think Marty was too different from their style. I mean you wouldn't expect Van Halen to choose Bob Dylan as their front man now would you?

Quote Originally Posted by atlantamoi
    they seem to have gone with an instant pick-me-up by choosing what I would assume a bunch of preteen girls would want.
    JD is who I wanted; and, the last time I checked, I am neither pre-teen nor a girl.

+ Reply to Thread