+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/20 Finale Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    Although I was not a fan of JD, he was the most eager to be the lead singer of INXS, so he was a good choice. He will be very happy with INXS, whereas Marty likely would have divided his time between INXS and Lovehammer, and MiG would have been secretly looking for those musical gigs .
    I don't know. I like MiG's point that he could've worked as a waiter trying to get his big break with his music or he could channel his talents and make money doing musicals while he was trying to make it in rock. I don't think one is mutually exclusive from the other. John Travolta did musical theater before hitting it big on the Big Screen. So did a bunch of other "famous" actors. Brad Pitt used to walk around dressed like a chicken to make ends meet between acting roles. Harrison Ford was on a soap opera, which film actors consider the lowest of the low...though they often acknowledge they learned a lot of discipline doing them.

Marty is a licensed real estate appraiser. I know he got the certification as backup in case he was unable to make enough money as a rocker. At 32, you don't want to have to wash dishes for a living.

My point is everyone has their dreams and just because they've had success in one genre doesn't mean they should be pigeonholed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    What? Marty's a Morman? I didn't know they listed their religious preference? Where did you see that?

(just kidding, don't beat me up)
    LOL! She actually said "mornon" but you know what she meant, you sassy little thing! I've made so many typos that I'm not going to say a thing...

Quote Originally Posted by VanJagSol
    I think that JD is cool but I think MiG was a better fit just because those guys are so old compared to JD. I don't know how old MiG is but he fits in better looks wise. It looks like JD is playing with his dad and or uncles.
    Hee hee. JD is 31, I think. Marty is like a year older. MiG is 35.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 09-21-2005 at 10:53 AM. Reason: appended two posts into one (again)

FORT Fan
    jd was clearly the best choice and our band, inxs, knew it...he was the best fit and his song writing style was closer to inxs music than mig or martys...i think pretty vegas is a good song and will be a hit...he actually seemed grateful for this opportunity and i just dont think he could have faked this, im glad he won, it seems like he needed a break in his life...good for jd...

Quote Originally Posted by jaymes4u
    jd was clearly the best choice and our band, inxs, knew it...he was the best fit and his song writing style was closer to inxs music than mig or martys...i think pretty vegas is a good song and will be a hit...he actually seemed grateful for this opportunity and i just dont think he could have faked this, im glad he won, it seems like he needed a break in his life...good for jd...
    My opinion on JD's selection ? Michael would turn in his grave !!!

Gotta say I'm still riding the high today!

I think JD had this thing 80% won when he performed Pretty Vegas. I think at that point the band sat up and said "Whoa! That's a rockin' INXS song! Maybe this guy IS the best fit for the band!" It had the sound they were looking for and it just seemed to fit. Even the other performers, that week said they had never seen JD sing/perform that way. He rocked that place.

People can say what they like about JD. Obviously he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but you can't deny he came on strong, gave all he had to the audition, and he truly loves the band and wanted to be their lead singer. Honestly, I got the sense from Marty sometimes that while it would be nice, he still had a great band waiting in the wings for him, so he was ok with not winning.

MiG seemed emotionally invested in it, but if you wanted it so bad why tell the band that you're happy you made it to the end and you feel like you win just for doing so? There's an out right there.

I think they would have gotten rid of MiG long before last night if he had made it into the bottom three more than once. They asked him to tone down the theatrics, and he amped it up. It's ingrained in who he is. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not right for the band. It's like Marty said last night, that the band asked him to tone it down and he realized, "Less is More" - and he's right. MiG went out guns blazing, but I don't think the band wanted guns blazing. The week he got the most praise was the week he sang Frampton. Didn't that tell him something?

JD will collaborate with the band. He will write music with them, work on arrangements, sing his @ss off, have fun, joke around, and will work out just fine, I'm sure. They seemed *genuinely* happy when they rushed to the stage to greet him. I'm happy for them.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner
    My opinion on JD's selection ? Michael would turn in his grave !!!
    Actually, I think Michael would have been impressed with how JD sang What You Need last night. He rocked that song!

Ace
    As much as I dislike J.D., Our Band made the right decision; he's the only one of the contestants who can give them a hope in hell of resuscitating their career (not that I think they have one). But I wish them luck.

Quote Originally Posted by blue eyes
    So glad my Canadian boy won....I AM CANADIAN...(too)!
    Me too. In my love for Marty I had almost forgotten that JD is a Canadian (I know, hard to believe we get hit over the head with it so much). I was so happy for JD when he won because he seems so ecstatic about it. I'm beginning to believe he was telling the truth that he wanted this the most.

I think Marty and JD would both have been great. I also think there's a much better chance that JD will stick with this gig than that Marty would have and that may have factored into their decision.

JD was great though! I'm happy to have a Canadian front the band and look forward to seeing more of Marty in the future.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    MiG seemed emotionally invested in it, but if you wanted it so bad why tell the band that you're happy you made it to the end and you feel like you win just for doing so? There's an out right there.
    Hey SweetPea, I think he felt what he said, it was a polite thing to say without insulting the others and feeling like a winner for making it to the Top 3 doesn't negate not wanting to be the singer of INXS. The band clearly liked JD better. Had JD said the exact same thing MiG did, INXS still would've picked JD.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    I think they would have gotten rid of MiG long before last night if he had made it into the bottom three more than once. They asked him to tone down the theatrics, and he amped it up. It's ingrained in who he is. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not right for the band. It's like Marty said last night, that the band asked him to tone it down and he realized, "Less is More" - and he's right. MiG went out guns blazing, but I don't think the band wanted guns blazing. The week he got the most praise was the week he sang Frampton. Didn't that tell him something?
    MiG could've sung another ballad or another rocker and he still would've been eliminated. The band wanted JD for a while is my guess (though I think they would've been better off with Marty as a songwriting collaborator). I never liked "Pretty Vegas" and I hated INXS's two originals ("Us" and "Easy Easy"), so unless they come up with another single that I can hear for free on the radio, I won't be buying their new CD or paying to see them perform live. For me, it'd be like going to see another generic band and all I'd want to hear are the oldies that were actually good...

FORT Newbie
    hi guys - i really have going to miss this board - so my impressions to go along with the great ones submitted already.

as a fan of marty, the ending was bitter sweet, but ultimately the best thing for everyone. i will be happy to see marty with lovehammers or on his own - doesn't matter - i can't wait to see him live!

i have absolutely nothing against jd and actually glad he won (after sleeping on it), but i do have to admit that this confirms that my "INXS life" right now will likely not change. i will continue to listen to my "back catalogue" on my ipod obsessively and probably never purchase another new album and likely not go to see the new band. again, this doesn't have anything to do with not liking jd - just really nothing there for me to get excited. more importantly, i am not keen on any of the "new songs" - pretty vegas was not a fave, didn't like us at all and easy, easy - not digging it (but i was still upset about marty, so in all fairness, my listening wasn't probably too on).

anyway, so i wish jd luck, but will most likely stick with my back catalogue and look for the lovehammers ASAP!

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar..._id=1001177625

J.D. Fortune Named New INXS Singer

By Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

After a 13-week public audition, J.D. Fortune has been named the new frontman of rock group INXS. The one-time homeless singer was selected by the band from a field of 15 that had been whittled to three for last night's (Sept. 20) finale of the reality show CBS' "Rock Star: INXS."

"Tonight we become a complete band again," INXS guitarist Tim Farriss said as he informed the hopefuls and the viewing audience of the band's choice.

"J.D. has a slightly dangerous edge and will bring a sense of spontaneity to our live show," Farriss says in a statement released today. "In addition, he has both the star quality we were looking for and is an inspired lyricist. I think he'll grow with us on all levels."

The single "Pretty Vegas," recorded before the final show's taping, will be made available to U.S. radio outlets today via the band's new label, Sony BMG's Epic Records. It will be sold exclusively through Apple's iTunes music store for two weeks beginning Oct. 4.

The band plans to hit the studio immediately with producer Guy Chambers (Robbie Williams) to record "Switch." Its first new studio album since 1997 will be released Nov. 29. Ahead of a world tour that opens in January, the band will appear Friday on CBS' "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" and on Oct. 17 will perform at Los Angeles' new Virgin Megastore (Hollywood and Highland).

It was Fortune's performance last night of INXS' 1986 hit "What You Need" that convinced band members to choose him over Marty Casey, who performed the group's 1983 breakthrough single "Don't Change" during the second performance stage of last night's show. Third finalist MiG Ayesa was eliminated after a first round of performances with the show's house band.

"It's an understatement to say that this is a dream come true," says Fortune. "Growing up, INXS albums like 'Shabooh Shoobah,' 'Listen Like Thieves' and 'Kick' were a huge musical influence on me. I'd listen to their songs and wonder what it would be like to be in this band. That they've chosen me to be their new lead singer is just mind-blowing."

The Australian band has been without a permanent singer since the November 1997 death of Michael Hutchence. The surviving members -- brothers Tim and Andrew Farriss (keyboards/guitar), Kirk Pengilly (guitar) and Jon Farris (drums) -- hatched the global search for a new vocalist with television producer Mark Burnett ("Survivor"). The reality show also featured substantial input from guitarist Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers) and was hosted by Brooke Burke.

+ Reply to Thread