+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 9/18 House Show **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    the "not prepared" thing was enough for us JD-fans to deal with!
    Well, don't worry about it too much. I watched the re-run again tonight, and Dave Navarro definitely told the guys to remember that the song-writing session was all about collaboration (that was the second time he mentioned 'collaboration' in that little visit).

And the editors (surprisingly) allowed JD to state clearly why he wasn't going in there with the full song written: because he didn't want to be presumptious about writing the entire song when he was supposed to collaborate with a songwriter of Andrew's caliber. I'm sure OBINXS got to see that footage, so even though Andrew initially thought JD should've done more ahead-of-time, he probably now feels flattered at the reason JD gave for not doing more.

As to JD's other reason--that he wanted the thoughts to be fresh or whatever--umm, that one could be construed several ways. Hopefully Andrew had a good enough time at the session with JD that he'll see it all in a positive light.
    Last edited by fireflyer; 09-20-2005 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin
    What tricks? I'm sure MiG knows 100% the risk he is taking in choosing Bohemian Rhapsody. There was really nothing Marty could say that would change that reality and they both knew it. Besides, it's not Marty's (or anyone else's) place to criticize MiG's choice on the matter. The best thing for him to do is just be supportive of whatever decision MiG makes, and that is precisely what he did.
    Ahh, I think you're glossing it a little. Several times, Mig asked Marty "INXS isn't gonna criticize us for our song choice this time, right?" and Marty affirmed it, twice. Then we see Marty in his confessional saying the opposite. Since Marty was obviously thinking it, then yes it was a little shady for him to tell the opposite to Mig.

Granted, there is no rule that Marty has to be honest to Mig. But describing Marty's actions as 'supportive' is QUITE charitable, IMO!!! He was definitely 'gaming' it. Just like JD in the early days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    I wonder if this show is just an INXS sweat shop to get free songs from the contestants.

Joking...

Sort of.

But maybe INXS will come out with songs called, "Home in YOU," "Pretty BOULDER" and "SHRUBS" and call it their own...

in other words, I can't stop laughing. Though I'd like a shout out to "Pretty Jersey" just for the irony.

(And lest anyone get upset, Morristown, NJ High '87)
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

giz
    I don't know. I get JD's reasoning, but that episode give the impression (rightly or wrongly) that Andrew is a bit keen on discipline and preparedness. I took from it that JD wanted to work together toward something, whereas to me, Marty just wanted to put his lyrics with Andrew's music. Andrew seemed to prefer Marty's approach, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    I don't know. I get JD's reasoning, but that episode give the impression (rightly or wrongly) that Andrew is a bit keen on discipline and preparedness. I took from it that JD wanted to work together toward something, whereas to me, Marty just wanted to put his lyrics with Andrew's music. Andrew seemed to prefer Marty's approach, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
    Yes, tomorrow. I agree with your assessment, but one could also surmise that Andrew liked JD's finished product better, he 'd just like JD to come to the table with more to begin with ala Marty. That could easily be done by putting th expectations clearly on the table.
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    You have to remember, Michael Hutchence wrote most of the lyrics to Andrew's music. And between the two of them, they massaged out the rough edges to come up with the hits we know. It doesn't hurt to actually put some thought into writing the song, capturing the feeling - the way MiG and Marty did. I don't think either of them imagined that they would be presenting something perfect or that Andrew wouldn't modify it to fit with INXS' style.

And as an aside... watching the Taste It video... omg. That can't have made it to American MTV, did it?
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mertii
    Then again... they gave them the chance to choose any song which would best display their talents. BP will show off MiG's wide vocal range.
    Actually, INXS wrote in the song-selection instructions that the contestants should pick the song that will best show why you are the best fit for the band. Thatís a whole different thing than which song best demonstrates your abilities.

I'm surprised that none of the contestants commented on this angle of song-choice during their confessionals. It seems like all 3 of them chose based solely on personal feel-good reasons.

Well, except maybe Marty,... since it was during his Floyd song that INXS said something about him finally giving them the sound they wanted to hear (or something like that). So, perhaps Marty did consider the "right for our band" aspect when choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by PurrpleCat
    ...one could also surmise that Andrew liked JD's finished product better, he 'd just like JD to come to the table with more to begin with ala Marty. That could easily be done by putting th expectations clearly on the table.
    True, the expectations are always so vague in the assignments the band gives. I'm surprised the contestants don't ask more questions when they're first given the assignment.

I hope Andrew doesn't still think that JD "needs more discipline about getting it down on paper" (i.e. lazy) just because of this, because that wouldn't be an accurate assessment IMO. JD was the only one (I think) of the 15 rockers who actually blogged the lyrics to another song he was writing during this competition--for no reason at all. If was lazy, he wouldn't have done that.

Well, now that it's come down to it, I'm going to have to read the spoilers tomorrow night. Regardless of who wins, I'm going to feel so badly for the other two, I'll need the time zone buffer to prepare myself.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Siryn
    watching the Taste It video... omg. That can't have made it to American MTV, did it?
    I'd never heard of that song before, but the title along with your reaction made me hunt down the lyrics. I thought it must be naughty. After reading the lyrics, I don't actually have any idea what it's about. Where's the video?

"Taste It"
    Yes it's me
    I am the one
    To make you see
    Where we belong
    I was shaking
    Like a leaf
    All wrapped up
    In my dirty sheets
    If I agree to what comes next
    I would be faking
    With the best of them