+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 136

Thread: 9/18 House Show **SPOILERS**

  1. #41
    I see dead people SQUATMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    Haven't seen the show here. I have to say though, I would think Marty picked WYWH for the simple fact that the night he sang it, he said he felt like it was one of the very best moments of his life. I remember his face, how elated he was. He's most likely trying to re-create that moment in time, when he felt on top of the world.

    MiG choosing BR? Yikes.
    agree the 1st point....that is exactly why Marty picked the song, plus INXS love that song. At this point in the competition/audition, I don't think you need to "showcase your talent" any more. Marty has done that. INXS has seen Marty perform many varied covers, and they no doubt have seen the Lovehammers Live DVD.

    If INXS doesn't have a problem with hearing Trees and Pretty Vegas repeatedly, I don't think they'll disrespect Marty's choice with "encoring" WYWH.

    I, obviously a Marty fan, would like to here him blow the roof off the joint with a new song, or even Lithium again, but I can understand and respect hi decision to repeat Floyd......

    Maybe he'll do it acoustic.......THAT would $^%*ing rock!

    2ND POINT: I think MiG WILL blow away Suzie's version of BoRap(which I thought was weak and awkward)

  2. #42
    FORT Regular Mertii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    114
    Classic Mark Burnett

    1-At the beginning of this thread someone stated that because the commerical for the "winner's" shadow look liked Marty than he wins. Mark Burnett knows that they reality junkies will be looking for any clues to who the winner is. He has learned his lessons well from Survivor fans/spoilers. Actually now he will purposely put misleading shadows in, so people can't guess who wins. Just like the current commerical that was playing for survivor. In it there was two shadows showing a man and woman as the returning players. The man's shadow looked nothing like Bobby Jon. The shadow look more like a man who was bald/balding. The woman's shadow could have been Stephanie...only if Stephanie was wearing a really long wig.

    2-"As for J.D., I think he chose wisely. I can't help but think of his coming into the songwriting session with very little as foreshadowing of a win for him. (classic Burnett editing)." Actually, I disagree. It shows that twice now JD has pulled the "I will wait until I get there" kind of attitude which Andrew did not like before in the studio. I think it sets up his downfall. Also his "come in like lion, leave like a lamb" opinion, is another sign of his possible downfall. Jordis got cut because she was losing her fire. JD had better hope that INXS doesn't think that he is losing his fire with this "lamb" idea.

    3- On the downfall editing - Much like MiG choosing BP (so sad... I was screaming "don't do it" at the tv). Although MiG is going to completely rock BP, I think INXS is going to be unhappy with his choice. Then again... they gave them the chance to choose any song which would best display their talents. BP will show off MiG's wide vocal range. (I can't wait to see this song... why do we have to wait one more night). With the Mark Burnett editing and the ending statement that MiG made, it's either foreshadowing him losing or him blowing the doors off this thing.

    In closing, I think that Mark Burnett has become fairly crafty in his editing ways. But I believe that either MiG or JD will win. Mark Burnett loves to edit someone to look like they are going to lose and someone to look like they are going to win. Marty got a wonderful edit, but I think that they are setting him up for a great solo career.

    Someone asked if the three songs were different earlier... the answer is yes. The music that Andrew/INXS gave to each of the rockers suited their personal styles I noticed. MiG got a ballad type of song. Marty got a more edgy type of song for INXS. JD got somethng similar to the "pretty vegas" song. I think that the band wanted to give each of them the chance to look their best.

    I wish that the guys were performing three songs as well. I would love to hear a new INXS song and covers along with an old INXS song. I think that would be the most telling of each of the threes talents especially since MiG has only had to perform INXS live once.
    Last edited by Mertii; 09-19-2005 at 10:09 AM.

  3. #43
    On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    5,063
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN
    MiG doing BoRhap could also be seen as safe, since he has done it in his on-stage gig. INXS has criticized him for playing it too safe.

    Marty doing WYWH isn't safe because it is out of his perceived "screamer" realm.

    I wonder if MiG is going to do a different take on the song...it could go both ways if he does. JD was nailed for singing "Suspicious Minds", even though he did a pretty good job and did change it up a little. If MiG changes the song too much, they'll say he didn't do justice to a classic. If he sings it with Queen's arrangement, they'll say he's just singing something he already sang at his old job.

    ARGH!!!!!

  4. #44
    Forum Assistant sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,895
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    I suspect that the mixing of you and Mr. Sweetpea makes a great duo. Balance is everything.
    Well, it can be interesting at times (read: me pulling my hair out! ) but it's worked well for ten years! You're right, you gotta have balance. Good thing Mr. Sweetpea, while amused by my JD-love, also agrees he is the best for the band.

  5. #45
    On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    5,063
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    What are you talking about? Marty dumping his drawer upside-down into his suitcase? As somebody who is anally organized, that really bothered me.

    I'm right with you sister! I thought, "But all those bottles are going to leak or break onto your clothes!"

    Re: Marty maybe being two-faced for not taking MiG aside and saying, "Hey, they're going to ream your ass for singing Queen." I remember a few episodes ago when he supported MiG in NOT giving away the original song spot to Suzie because INXS wanted him to fight for what he wanted. I don't think Marty is a jerk. But I think at this stage of the game, they're all fighting for the same thing and they're going to go after it whatever way they can...If the competition makes a "mistake," I don't think any of them are going to go out of their way to steer them along another path...

    My guess is MiG knows exactly what INXS is thinking and that the song could backfire on him. But he's probably confident he can do such a good job with it that INXS will love his rendition of it.

    I'm nervous for him. I'm confident that no matter how well he does, INXS will say he's in his comfort zone.

  6. #46
    Forum Assistant sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    I don't think Marty is a jerk. But I think at this stage of the game, they're all fighting for the same thing and they're going to go after it whatever way they can...If the competition makes a "mistake," I don't think any of them are going to go out of their way to steer them along another path...
    I don't think Marty is a jerk either. At this point it IS a competition, and a fierce one at that. Why go out of your way to talk your competition getting what could possibly be a leg up on you?

    I do wonder, though, if it had been JD doing that...what would people have said? He's back to his old tricks, he's screwing around to win at all costs, etc. Just food for thought. I have read on other boards people calling Marty diabolically clever for his interaction with MiG. I shudder to think of what they would have called JD!

    Thank goodness it wasn't him last night, as the "not prepared" thing was enough for us JD-fans to deal with!

  7. #47
    FORT Fan CdnINXSFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by chico4158
    love marty, but i don't think this comment is biased -
    i didn't get the impression he was trying to talk mig into bo rap - in fact i think it was trying be supportive of his choice while kinda raising a red flad - didn't he say something like "well........it's your choice..." - if someone said that to me rather than "that's gonna rock!", i would think twice -

    maybe it's just me -
    I haven't seen the show & I don't think I'm going to be able to (anybody know if it's being shown in the Toronto Area?!! I don't see it in the TV Guide!)

    I think Marty is unlikely to say critical things to others. In the songwriting clinic he was very low key about which song was better and attempting to consilliate between JD and Jordis. Saying 'you shouldn't do it' might be a bad thing to say if MiG was definitely going to do it. 'It's your choice' would be a nicer way of putting it.

    I don't think Marty is worried about MiG as a competition. He thought MiG would have been gone last week. If MiG isn't fighting for the win, BoRhap is a perfect choice for him because it shows his fans what he can do and he'll do great. If he's fighting for the win, it's a problem because it isn't what INXS wants.

  8. #48
    On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    5,063
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    I have read on other boards people calling Marty diabolically clever for his interaction with MiG. I shudder to think of what they would have called JD!

    And the thing is, by people saying something like that, they're totally downplaying MiG's intelligence. He KNOWS, I'm sure, that this could go either way for him and he's taking a calculated risk.

    I think INXS knows who they want to lead their band and regardless of how the three perform, they will pick the one they want. If they want Marty, they will say they would've liked him to showcase a different song...but...he's been so strong overall that they want him to be the winner of the contest.

    My guess is, they will eliminate one--let tears flow...and then they'll keep the suspense between the other two till we want to smack their heads and say, "Announce the winner already!!!"

  9. #49
    FORT Fogey Blues Songstres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In my own little corner, in my own little chair...
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner
    I haven't watched the show. Why would Marty pick the same song ? Strange ! MiG wanted to do BoRhap but gave it to Suzie, he'll nail it. Did JD do any Stones before ? I don't think so.
    JD sang "As Tears Go By".

  10. #50
    FORT Fanatic PurrpleCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Mertii
    Classic Mark Burnett

    1-At the beginning of this thread someone stated that because the commerical for the "winner's" shadow look liked Marty than he wins. Mark Burnett knows that they reality junkies will be looking for any clues to who the winner is. He has learned his lessons well from Survivor fans/spoilers. Actually now he will purposely put misleading shadows in, so people can't guess who wins. Just like the current commerical that was playing for survivor. In it there was two shadows showing a man and woman as the returning players. The man's shadow looked nothing like Bobby Jon. The shadow look more like a man who was bald/balding. The woman's shadow could have been Stephanie...only if Stephanie was wearing a really long wig.
    To prove your point: the shadows were of Eric and Maggie from BB6. =)

    I'd been spoilered and knew it should be Bobby Jon and Stephenie, and the fact I recognized the shadows made it even more amusing. =)

    If anything, if he used Marty's actual shadow, it would be because he knew that he wasn't going to win. In this case, I truly don't think it means anything.
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.