+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: News Articles About "ROCK STAR": Post Here!!!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

News Articles About "ROCK STAR": Post Here!!!

Hi, I know that so many of us are curious about reading articles from around the world about INXS and the contestants. But sometimes I can't access the links. Other times, the story's not available after a certain time. Maybe we can all start posting the articles we see here so everyone can read it at his or her leisure?

Wednesday, September 14, 2005
    The Halifax Herald Limited

A J.D. win could spawn INXS visit

By TIM ARSENAULT

AN INXS concert date in Nova Scotia is a distinct possibility if J.D. Fortune has any say in it.

"Oh, yeah, man. You've got it, brother. That would be absolutely amazing," Fortune enthused during a phone interview Tuesday from Los Angeles.

Fortune, an Oakville, Ont. resident who is originally from Salt Springs, Pictou Co., may get to exert some influence over the veteran Australian hitmakers if he emerges as the winner of Rock Star: INXS, the CBS summer reality series from Mark Burnett, the producer of Survivor and The Apprentice.

Fortune is among the final four vocalists fighting to front the band and was scheduled to perform his original song Pretty Vegas as well as Money by Pink Floyd on Tuesday night's performance show. The finalists will be revealed tonight starting at 10 p.m. on CBS and at 12:06 a.m. on Global.

The finale of Rock Star: INXS airs Tuesday at 11 p.m. on CBS and at 12:06 a.m. on Global.

The series started in July with 15 candidates selected by the band from auditions held around the world last winter. Fortune was selected after trying out in Toronto.

INXS has effectively rejuvenated its career through the series. Although not necessarily a broad ratings success, the series has managed to attract a slice of the 18 to 49 demographic pie which, presumably, owns copies of INXS hit albums like Kick and X.

The band has been without a prominent frontman since the death of the charismatic Michael Hutchence in 1997. INXS had worked for three years with Australian singer Jon Stevens but did not release any recordings. Stevens left to pursue a solo career in 2003.

But the winner of the reality show ostensibly gets to front a band that's making its way back to the top. A new CD, fittingly titled Switch, is to be released Nov. 29 and it will feature the band's new singer.

Or could that be singers? Fortune said that the vocalists have started to wonder if INXS could select more than one winner.

"We've actually kind of toyed with that idea and thought, 'Wouldn't it be cool if they had three singers singing their whole set?' One would come out and do a half an hour, then another half an hour and then another half an hour. That way there would never be any sort of living up to the light that Michael Hutchence was in that band and just have fun with it.

"But you know what? I think it's going to end up being just one singer. It's not like Idol where its sort of a manufactured star based on the show. The winner of this will be able to sit and co-write with INXS and Bono and Scott Weiland from Velvet Revolver, who are all fans of INXS."

To that end, Fortune has gone about pursing the prize with a singular zeal. The editing of the reality portions of the series have often painted the 32-year-old as something of a villain executing a strategy to win at all costs.

"I guess I just had a lot of focus on what I wanted to do and how I wanted to get there and I didn't want to make any friends other than the band. But in the last few weeks, you've been with people for two months and they start to rub off on you and stuff that used to annoy you about them you actually start to find quite endearing. So I guess the strategy ended up backfiring but, on the other hand, I ended up learning a lot from it and that's ultimately what brought me to this level because I don't think INXS would ever have anyone in their band that would be coming in with guns-a-blazing all the time," he said.

"I've been fighting since Feb. 4 of this year. That's when I auditioned. This is the final week, man. This is it. I'm really I guess ecstatic wouldn't even begin to describe how ecstatic I am about just making it this far and sharing the stage with such other wonderful artists like Marty (Casey), Suzie (McNeil) and Mig (Ayesa)."

All of the players have had to get used to the insular world of reality TV. Their access to the outside world is limited to such an extent that they don't really have a good idea of how they're coming across on the show. Show business types who have managed to slip business cards to the singers have seen them confiscated by the show's staff.

"It's sort of a need to know basis and it seems like we never need to know so we don't get very much information," Fortune said.

The sense of unreality is only enhanced by staying in the obligatory reality show mansion surrounded by multiple camera and sound crews.

"Well, it's kind of like there's a whirlwind happening around you. It's the hurry up and wait thing. We've got to be on standby for pretty much everything all day long all week. Then the whirlwind picks you up and you're busy, busy, busy and then it sets you back down and you're kind of just standing there watching it work around you," said Fortune.

"When we're eating dinner there's like 60 people with cameras and mics and stuff like that filming that. After about the third week, though, you don't see the cameras, you get used to the routine and you start to adapt to it."

(The desire to keep the talent in a bubble is stressed by one of the show's representatives before this interview starts, to which Fortune advised, "You can ask whatever you want to, brother.")

By early afternoon Tuesday in Nova Scotia, Fortune was getting ready to start his day in California.

"I got up about an hour ago and I'm just having a cup of coffee and a smoke and getting ready to go into rehearsals in about an hour."

The Tuesday night performance shows of the series are taped on Sunday, he said, but Wednesday's elimination show is taped earlier that day.

"It's really quite impressive, their system. We finish shooting that show and two hours later it's on the air. It's unbelievable, with all the edits and everything in it."

Win or lose, Fortune knows he has landed on the radar of millions of music fans who had never heard of the former Elvis Presley impersonator.

"I'm still focused on winning this. I think I can safely say that I still want this more badly than anybody on the show. That's why I'm here. If you start faltering from that it probably comes across on camera and it probably comes across to INXS. When they go to deliberate their decisions I'm sure they've taken all that into consideration and, lucky for me, it's honest I really, really want to be in this band and I've never faltered from that.

"It's crossed my mind in the last week, especially when I was in the bottom three, that if I'm going home today I'm going to try and find myself in a position where I'm still able to create music for a living ."

Fortune said the unique nature of the show, which has allowed weekly participation by viewers who can vote on a website for their favourite performers, is as fresh as INXS's catchy and melodic dance rock.

"One of the things that has made me an INXS fan since I was 11 years old was that they are trend setters," he said.

"There's never been anything like this show. There's American Idol, yeah, but this is new for everybody involved. For them, this is another way to pioneer something."

And if going on a long world tour with savvy musicians 10 or 12 years older sounds like a daunting proposition, Fortune isn't fazed by the idea and would embrace their experience.

"I think the common ground would be that they've been there. At one point they were the biggest band on the planet. So it's not like going to Singapore with a band that you started on Queen Street and they're really wide eyed."

Fortune hopes to tilt the odds in his favour by having his mother (Sandy Fortune), sister (Sarah-Jane Smith) and two cousins (Matthew and Adam Fortune) who he grew up with all in the audience for the last shows.

As for that prospective Nova Scotia concert, Fortune wouldn't mind inviting a former school friend and fellow Pictou County success story to share in the fun.

"We'll get George Canyon up there, too."

Link to story
    Last edited by speedbump; 09-17-2005 at 09:06 PM.

FORT Newbie

Who Is George Canyon?

George Canyon is a country singer/musician. He's just won 3 or 4 Canadian Country music awards.

http://www.georgecanyon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    So I guess the strategy ended up backfiring but, on the other hand, I ended up learning a lot from it and that's ultimately what brought me to this level because I don't think INXS would ever have anyone in their band that would be coming in with guns-a-blazing all the time," he said.
    Good for you, JD! I'm glad he's been able to grow through this. If he doesn't win I hope he finds a career in music apart from Elvis. It's cool to see a little piece of someone maturing through one of these shows.

Thanks for the article, Lois!
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar
    Good for you, JD! I'm glad he's been able to grow through this. If he doesn't win I hope he finds a career in music apart from Elvis. It's cool to see a little piece of someone maturing through one of these shows.

Thanks for the article, Lois!
    Hey Jas, I think PurrpleCat originally posted this article somewhere. Speedy had to edit my post 'cause I forgot to put in the link and I think that shout out to PurrpleCat got edited out by accident as well.

George Canyon and JD were friends from way-back, long before George Canyon became famous on Nashville Star. They were close friends.

JD hasn't done Elvis for years. I feel bad that everyone keeps bringing up his Elvis jobs. Why don't any of the other contestants get reamed for all the dumb jobs they've done? Very few rock listeners even know anything about Elvis. He WAS a huge star, DECADES ago. He DIED 30 years ago, but it was even longer ago that he was even relevant to the music scene. (I hope that isn't disrespectful!) Few under-30 people out there even know or care what Elvis looked like on stage. He means nothing to us. If JD has any Elvis mannerisms, I don't see 'em and I don't think many music-buyers do either. Elvis is nothing more than a legend we read about, like Achiles or Ulyses S. Grant. He means nothing in real terms. If Elvis was truly the legend we are all s'posed to think he is, then doing Elvis impersonations wouldn't be ridiculed more than working at McDonalds.

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    Elvis impersonaters should be ridiculed, JD not withstanding.

But the fact that there are so many Elvis impersonators, JD included, means Elvis has left an indelible mark and deserves to be researched and understood by all you youngins. If anything, just so history doesn't repeat itself.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN
    Elvis impersonaters should be ridiculed, JD not withstanding.

But the fact that there are so many Elvis impersonators, JD included, means Elvis has left an indelible mark and deserves to be researched and understood by all you youngins. If anything, just so history doesn't repeat itself.
    Elvis in his early days paved a lot of ground for rock music to follow. The fact that tv would only show him above the waist at first shows how prudish this country was. But he helped to change that and a lot of things.

What's sad and what makes people ridicule him is that he became a parody of himself by the end. But in the beginning, he was new, talented, edgy, and good looking. A very likable combination for millions of young fans that had been fed Perry Como and Pat Boone and sanitized rock. He brought the real thing. But he surrounded himself with an entourage much like Michael Jackson that would not tell him the truth and let him sink into what most of us think of as Elvis: a fat, drug addicted, has been crooner in sequined jumpsuits.

No, I'm not really an Elvis fan. But I do acknowledge that he is a part of the history of rock music as we know it today. If not for him, we might still be listening to that easy listening stuff.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    Elvis in his early days paved a lot of ground for rock music to follow. The fact that tv would only show him above the waist at first shows how prudish this country was. But he helped to change that and a lot of things.
    I'm actually a HUGE fan of dead artists...A lot of my favorites disbanded/died before I was born...the Beatles, the Stones (sorry, but I don't like their current stuff), James Dean, Bruce Lee, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and, yes, Elvis. I'm even a sucker for some of his later cheesier stuff...but yeah, during the 1950's, he was smokin' hot. And in his comeback special of 1968, he was HOT dressed in black leather...

He didn't write his own material, but with a voice like his, he could get away with it. I'm just sorry he surrounded himself with sycophants who didn't try to help him as he was slowly killing himself.

Toronto Star Article

I stole this from the main INXS board but I love the article - it answers lots of questions.

INXS race at the wire
    Nova Scotian one of three bidding to join Aussie band
    He's been missing our beer, smokes — and Tim's coffee

MALENE ARPE
    TORONTO STAR

LOS ANGELES—Tonight is the night for Rock Star: INXS, the reality show's grand windup when we learn which of the three singers left standing will get the precious nomination as the Australian band's new vocalist.

For Marty, MiG and J.D., the ticking clock to the denouement began a whole new phase last Friday, when the survivors packed up and prepared to leave the mansion. Next stop was to be a hotel, for sequestering from each other and the world at large until the run-up to tonight's telecast.

Three months ago, they and 12 other contestants had moved into the mansion and began a long process of auditions and self-revelations in individual bids to persuade the existing members of INXS that they had the right stuff to front the band.

It's mid-afternoon on Friday and J.D. — the sole Canadian in the running after Suzie was let go — is giving me the grand tour of the mansion before everyone departs. He's so damned pretty it's hard to know whether to look at the INXS gold records and the elaborate draperies or at him.

"Charlie Chaplin, Fatty Arbuckle, they were all here," the native Nova Scotian says and makes a sweeping gesture around the grand hall. Then he pours a couple of beers from the tap. "It's Foster's this week, I think. They've served us Busch Light," he says and makes a face. "Just give me a couple of cases of Keith's and I'd be happy."

He would also like a Tim Hortons coffee ("like you wouldn't believe") and whooped when I gave him a Player's Light. This boy who wants to be at the mic for INXS is a bit homesick and, for a couple more hours, stuck in a haunted house.

The 16,000-square-foot mansion in L.A.'s Silver Lake district sits on two hectares of gorgeousness with a breathtaking view that includes the Hollywood sign far off in the distance. Completed in 1923 by oil heiress Daisy Canfield, who'd left her husband for movie star Antonio Moreno, it was a mover-and-shaker kinda joint until all was lost in the Depression and it became a school for girls, then an orphanage and finally a nunnery. In 1998 the estate was saved from the bulldozer by the current owner, the designer Dana Hollister, who spends the rental fee from Rock Star on the upkeep.

J.D. thinks he may have encountered a dead nun last night.

"Three consecutive nights I had the same dream, and then last night at 4 in the morning I was walking down the hallway and I heard this voice `Jaaason ...' Like right in my ear. I'm not kidding. I had to get out of the house and go outside for about 15 or 20 minutes.

"It could be some of the nuns or the old stars who used to party here. It definitely feels like they have a sense of humour. But maybe some of the nuns don't approve of what's been going on here for the past months."

MiG joins us in the "gold room" and says when the crew came in to doll up the house for Rock Star purposes, the doorknob to the room was ice cold and when they got it open, the room was, too. No mean feat in all this relentless sunshine.

Next we meet Marty, who says he has loved staying at the house, even if it is full of nooks and crannies and strange winding stairs. ("Let me hold your hand while we go down these," says J.D. and I feel a swoon coming on.)

"It's been the greatest summer of my life," Marty says. "This is like getting your own private resort with all the fixings. The best thing is, you're surrounded by creative arts for three months. We talk of music 24/7, we write songs, we play with the phenomenal house band. It's all music ... It will be weird to go out in the real world."

The mansion contestants have been kept away from cellphones, newspapers, television and Internet access, gilded-cage style. Says J.D.: "It's weird. It reminds me of being in the military a little bit. We're on a need-to-know basis here, and most of the time they don't think we need to know."

As a result, the trio has no real sense of what the outside world thinks of the show. For their blogs on the official website, they had to submit postings in longhand. Without all that outside reality, they've had time to think about Plan B, should someone else win tonight.

"The whole world has changed as far as the recording industry goes," MiG says. "You can't just walk into a record company office with a demo tape. But if you have a bit of a profile, maybe they'll listen to you. This has made a creative profile for all of us ... I will go back to London. It's where my wife is, it's where my band is, but I will stick around in L.A. for a bit, just to see what doors might open."

The show's production team has been set up in the old stable, watching the more-than 30 static cameras and the six moveable ones. A sign on the door warns that the site is off-limits to the rockers, and signs inside remind the crew that there's no seventh day pay without prior approval and to stay "the F out" of the monitor room unless you're a producer.

One of them, David Goffin, has been working on the show for 15 months. Now that it's coming down to the wire, he seems calm enough.

"I was just talking to Marty about how whoever wins, the press is going to have questions about their legitimacy. But what this show is, it's a really difficult audition, more difficult than any singer in any band has probably ever been through. So don't say, `These guys didn't pay their dues,' because they just did."

Goffin is considering taking the show on the road, having the house band tour with all or some of the candidate singers. He asks me if there's an 8,000- or 9,000-seat venue in Toronto that would be suitable.

Turns out Canadian viewers weren't the only ones sad to see Suzie eliminated.

"Suzie was one of the hardest to see go," Marty says, "because she was such a phenomenal female presence ... It's hard to act like a rock star when there are no women in the house. She's such a big personality that 75 per cent of the fun left the house when she left."

As the crew starts crating up to move out, Marty tries to put into words what tonight will mean.

"Everything I've learned about music in the past 15 years will have to be delivered through one song. If you want an epic moment in the history of my life, this is the pinnacle. This performance will influence the rest of my life. So it's pretty heavy."

J.D. has his clothes folded on his bed, ready for the transfer to the hotel. He's taking a last look around the mansion that's been an odd kinda home for the past 12 weeks. And what does the guy from New Glasgow think about the possibility of winning?

"I will be going to Australia if I win, but I will be taking the Canadian flag with me."

Link to article
    Last edited by speedbump; 09-20-2005 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added link to article

Quote Originally Posted by CdnINXSFan
    I stole this from the main INXS board but I love the article - it answers lots of questions.
    Thanks for posting the article! It was great...I never realized they wrote all their blogs out longhand. Eeesh!

The one thing I didn't like was the way the reporter kept swooning over JD. That made part of the article sound like Tiger Beat or some other teen magazine. I can understand her excitement, but it just made her sound more like a groupie than a legitimate member of the press.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast