+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: News Articles About "ROCK STAR": Post Here!!!

Well, I guess MiG had a point, didn't he? They did like the bad-boy image JD brought, but they also like that he's a nice guy underneath. I love the quotes I bolded!

http://www.mb.com.ph/I2005092445211.html#

REVERSAL OF FORTUNE
    Rock Star:INXS chooses the enigmatic bad boy

by edwin p. sallan

In the end, The Devil Inside was still what INXS needed.

And no matter how many of us were actually rooting for him, we all knew our very own Mig Ayesa wasn’t The One when the Australian-raised Pinoy just couldn’t bring out the dark side that INXS wanted from him during the last two weeks of Star World’s Rock Star: INXS.

While American Marty Casey was a totally different case study, the brooding, serious persona that he exuded during the last few weeks of the competition was simply too dark and too alternative for a band that is already too successful to reinvent itself all over again.

In the end, J.D. Fortune, the bad boy from Nova Scotia, Canada was exactly what’s right for INXS.

Because no matter what INXS says about moving forward and leaving the past behind, neither these guys nor their fans are really willing to forget everything they had with the late Michael Hutchence. Even though the band tried to be politically correct by stating at the start of the competition that they’re open to the idea of a lead singer from any race, color or gender, somehow we all knew that they’ll eventually go with someone who’s closest to their ill-fated lead singer.

And it’s obvious right from the start that J.D. is that person. From his get-go performance of Lenny Kravitz’s version of the Guess Who’s "American Woman" in the show’s pilot episode (where he grabbed the hair of a girl in the audience to suggest oral sex), he was a contestant to watch for. By the second week he was already a marked man when he drew the ire of the other finalists by saying that "while they’re learning INXS songs, I know them because I love them."

But as bad as he looked in the eyes of his competitors and their respective fans, he also looked very good in the eyes of INXS, co-host Dave Navarro and his own fans, who grew by the legion as the weeks went by. "You seem to be the singer with the most focus on the prize," noted INXS bassist Garry Beers in an early episode. Dave Navarro put things in perspective when he addressed the others, "I know music is about love, art, sharing and creativity, but the reality is this is a competition. While some of you are trying out for a band, J.D. is trying out for this band."

And while J.D.’s idea of being competitive did not exactly endear him to the rest of the playing field and has, in fact, established him as the reality show’s resident villain, he has to his credit, never ceased to be entertaining as he always found a way to showcase his talents. Performance-wise, he wasn’t always consistent. He can be electrifyng one week with a show-stopping reworking of The Mamas & The Papas’ "California Dreamin’," or Joe Cocker’s "The Letter," then go down in flames the next with his near-disastrous reading of Queen’s "We Are The Champions," or his less than memorable acoustic take on the Rolling Stones’ "As Tears Go By."

J.D.’s rollercoaster ride in Rock Star: INXS is reflective of his own real-life struggles. This is what his bio on the show’s official site at MSN.com says: "Despite being only 31 years old, J.D. Fortune has already experienced enough for a lifetime’s worth of song lyrics. From fronting a rock band to joining the Army, performing before stadium crowds to living in his car and even making a living as an Elvis impersonator."

Ups and downs are therefore nothing new for this 31-year old certified Rock Star. In a team songwriting clinic where the team he belonged to lost by default simply because of his refusal to work within the team dynamics, J.D. still managed to impress INXS with his own songwriting ability and came out with the best lyrics to a melody already composed by keyboardist Andrew Fariss. Those lyrics would later turn out to be the sum of "Pretty Vegas," the song J.D. performed with riveting passion on a night when everyone was asked to do an original song.

J.D.’s propensity for causing discord and mischief in the Rock Star mansion has his detractors believing that INXS is courting disaster by choosing him as their frontman. The band is fully aware of this, though, and surprisingly does not really take this against him.

"‘You got to hand it to him. He definitely has lead-singer quality, doesn’t he? He looks like trouble," remarked drummer Jon Fariss in an earlier interview.

"He has come from a harder life than most of them probably. He was homeless and now is living in a mansion with a whole bunch of singers fighting for a place in the band," said Garry Beers in the same interview. "The girls and all the kids at home love him because he has a dangerous quality. But he’s a good guy, he’s got his eye on the prize, is focused and passionate about what he wants to do, and we ARE his favorite band of all time."

After giving J.D. the keys to INXS’ future, Tim Fariss also has this to say about their band’s new voice: "J.D. has a slightly dangerous edge and will bring a sense of spontaneity to our live show. In addition, he has both the star quality we were looking for and is an inspired lyricist. I think he’ll grow with us on all levels. We’re a complete band once again."

J.D. Fortune is aware that he has big shoes to fill. "As far as filling the legacy that is Michael Hutchence, I’m ready for a lot of backlash," he told the Canadian National Post. "You need to cut your own stone, though, because no one is replacing him.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    Well, I guess MiG had a point, didn't he? They did like the bad-boy image JD brought, but they also like that he's a nice guy underneath. I love the quotes I bolded!

http://www.mb.com.ph/I2005092445211.html#

REVERSAL OF FORTUNE
    Rock Star:INXS chooses the enigmatic bad boy
    This is a really good article, SweetPea. Thanks for sharing it!

This is no reflection on JD's fans but more a comment on society in general--there seems to be this reverence of "bad boys." I know the psychological reasons of why they're so appealing (fixing them, having them change for us, etc. etc.). But having dated more than my share of them in the past, I know that the end result wasn't worth all the heartache and trouble of dealing with them and that it took me a long time to grow out of that phase.

I don't think JD is really a bad boy. He seems like a nice guy who's opinionated and knows what he wants. I'm guessing if he was a female with these qualities, they'd just call her a "bitch."

I kind of wish the press would think of another way to describe him than as a bad boy. It's like MiG's the nice one, Marty's the intense one and JD is the dangerous one. Surely there are better ways to describe them without making them sound like action figure dolls...

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    I kind of wish the press would think of another way to describe him than as a bad boy. It's like MiG's the nice one, Marty's the intense one and JD is the dangerous one. Surely there are better ways to describe them without making them sound like action figure dolls...

Perhaps, but I'd buy a JD action figure.
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

Quote Originally Posted by PurrpleCat
    Perhaps, but I'd buy a JD action figure.
    I can only imagine what that poor doll would go through! I think Marty's action figure would be really bendy like him...

giz
    Thanks for the article Sweetpea. It's what I wanted to read, some insight into their decision making process. It sounds (from that and other articles) like there was more to it than the singing. There's his performance skills, his intelligence, his song-writing (so good on him for not bending to Jordis' will) and, I suspect, his history. It likely reassured him that he's a regular guy, the poor-but-close family, the army, the car as domicile. I am crossing all fingers that INXS comes to my town. Bring on those Canadian dates!

I agree about JD probably being a nice guy, but certainly driven and focused and outspoken in what he wants. You're right, sad as it is, if he was a woman he'd be called a bitch. Glad to see that the band could look beyond the MB-editing and see the complete person. I love that they accept him and seem to think he is the perfect fit for them. I read also, elsewhere, that one of the band members said JD brings them all together. Awwwww....

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southt...dex/25-ds3.htm

Losing beats winning for Marty Casey

Sunday, September 25, 2005

By Vickie Snow
    Staff writer
    Daily Southtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marty Casey tackled the sacred by choosing songs by Pink Floyd and Nirvana, and conquered pop candy by turning a Britney Spears' hit into an angry plea.
    Despite passionate renderings that inspired the most votes in the final weeks of CBS' "Rock Star: INXS," our hometown hopeful didn't win the coveted spot as the new singer of Australian rock band INXS.

Casey — the tall, thin blonde with eyeliner as black as his trademark Converse sneakers and a piercing gaze the camera loved — became a strong contender against 14 other singers. He got the most votes from viewers in the last weeks and was one of three finalists.

On Tuesday night's finale of "Rock Star: INXS", though, J.D. Fortune, an arrogant Canadian, was asked to join the band.

But nice guys like Casey don't always finish last.

In fact, taking second place on "Rock Star" may turn out to be a dream come true for the Hickory Hills native and the Lovehammers, the band he formed at age 14.

Three months of free publicity and a possible world tour aren't bad for starters.

"How could he not be enormously better off now even if he didn't win?" said Gary Bongiovanni, editor of Pollstar, a concert industry trade publication.

Casey, who turns 32 on Monday, and the Lovehammers have had a loyal following in Chicago for a more than a decade.

"But did anyone in Portland, San Diego, Orlando or Charlotte ever hear of him?" Bongiovanni said. "The artists on the show now have at least some national name recognition."

Celebrity isn't all Casey has. And it's looking like he may have more opportunities outside of INXS.

"He's the master of his own destiny," said Jeff Albright, a Los Angeles-based music industry publicist whose clients have included The Doors, Styx and Fleetwood Mac. "His obvious talent should take him far."

Casey's "Rock Star" loss is a gain in terms of individuality and creativity. He's free to do his own thing. He won't be pinned down to INXS material. He won't be stuck singing on an album he had no part in writing. And he won't struggle with bringing up to speed a band whose heyday was more than a decade ago with hits like "What You Need," "New Sensation" and "Devil Inside."

Sure, Casey hoped to win.

And many expected him to win.

Nonetheless, no one's questioning how successful he will be without INXS.

"By selecting J.D. Fortune, INXS fans will just be smacked in the face with the realization of how good (late vocalist) Michael Hutchence really was," Albright said. "Marty, in my opinion, was the people's choice."

INXS does, however, seem to have a handle on Casey's appeal and talent. The band asked Casey to discuss joining them on tour as the opening act. Ultimately, that would be a true test of who the best man for the job is. It could even backfire on INXS if Casey, not Fortune, is the one stealing the spotlight.

"It'll be interesting if Marty gets a greater round of applause at the shows," Albright said.

A major tour could translate into a major recording contract for the Lovehammers.

"They've always been very close," Chicago record producer Johnny K said. "Maybe this is the exposure they needed to get them over the top."

Johnny K, a native of Chicago's Mount Greenwood community who said he's surprised the band hasn't had any major offers in the past, knows what it takes to get to the top. He started out a decade ago recording demos for local bands, including the Lovehammers. Now he counts multi-platinum artists Disturbed, 3 Doors Down and Drowning Pool among his clients.

To optimize the buzz from "Rock Star," he said, the Lovehammers would be smart to release an album as soon as possible.

"Ideally we'd record and then hit the road," Lovehammers drummer Bob Kourelis said. "If it's with INXS, that'd be cool. We'd definitely like to play Chicago before that happens, but we may be in the recording studio the next few months."

Kourelis was in Hollywood for the TV finale and met the other contestants, and said they commented on how the future is so bright for Casey and the Lovehammers.

"I had the biggest smile on my face you'd ever see in my life," Kourelis said. "I was being congratulated all night."

Casey paved the way for the Lovehammers' success by going out on a limb and auditioning for the show, something his bandmates tried stopping in fear of losing their frontman. Now, thanks to him, they are hammering out a touring contract.

"We're discussing our options," Kourelis said. "Right now there are so many things going on that I don't know where we'll be in two weeks."

In Casey's final on-air comments, he thanked INXS for three months of publicity and tutelage. Week after week on "Rock Star," Casey grew as an artist, tested his vocal ability and perfected his stage presence.

He took his voice to another level, successfully tackling Nirvana, Creed and Radiohead. He even conquered Britney Spears' "Baby One More Time" by turning it into a dark and serious affair.

"At the end of the day, a great song and a great performance of that song can go a long way," said Byron Hontas, a 20-year music industry veteran who manages Nickelback, Cinderella and other bands with Los Angeles-based Union Entertainment Group Inc. "Marty can obviously perform, otherwise he wouldn't have gone this far. If Marty can write or surround himself with quality songs, he can easily go far."

Casey already proved he could write a good song, and he helped other contestants write theirs. His song "Trees" made its debut on the show, and within days fans knew the words.

"J.D.'s song 'Pretty Vegas' is pretty forgettable in my opinion," L.A. publicist Albright said. "I doubt if INXS will seriously get behind it as a single. But Casey still has the opportunity to release 'Trees' with confidence."

In addition to stretching his vocal range and showcasing his songwriting ability, Casey also mastered the notion of "less is more." He started out as an energetic fireball jumping off a drum set, wildly bending backward and waving his arms like a possessed orchestral conductor. Later he started looking at the cameras more, and managed to completely captivate the audience just standing still and singing with raw emotion.

For Casey, being on "Rock Star" meant more than publicity or a world tour or recording contract. It was a chance to shine, to make proud his family of true South Siders.

"He's a very loyal person, and that's why I think this is all working out right," said Casey's brother Chris Casey, of Mokena. "If he would've won, he would've been struggling about leaving his bandmates of 17 years behind."

The Finale-Behind The Scenes (An article)

Cover Story: Fortune favours the bold
    TERRINA HUSSEIN
    Sept 28:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TERRINA HUSSEIN pens what happened when the cameras stopped rolling!

IT was touch and go during the INXS: Rock Star Grand Final last week, as all three finalists put on a crowd stopping show.

The energy was high in the East block of CBS, as hundreds of fans took their place, ready to cheer on their favourites.

Before taping of the show began, US comedian Mark B came out to warm up the rock and roll craving, hungry masses. His humour kept the audience in stitches.

As the band warmed up, Mark set up a clapping and screaming session with the audience.

After an ear shattering communal screaming session, it was time for the girls to test their vocals, then the guys.

Mark said: “Let me hear the boys now! Okay! Great! Now everyone else!”

Mark also had some advice for the females in the crowd.

“There are so many pretty girls in the audience tonight, but when you chew gum, you kind of look like cows on camera! So I suggest you get rid of the gum when the cameras start rolling!”

Soon it was time for the real thing.

To the sounds of the INXS track Suicide Blonde, the three finalists, Mig Ayesa, Marty Casey and J.D. Fortune, walked on stage and took their bows.

Dave Navarro was introduced next, followed by the men of INXS.

Navarro did his round of mandatory chats with the three finalists, all aired in the show. But there were a few things that didn’t make it to air.

After Navarro asked J.D. if he thought of driving his new Honda Civic into the pool at the end of the show, saying that would’ve been the ‘rock and roll’ thing to do, J.D. replied: “I thought about it, but then I thought, where am I going to live if this doesn’t work out.” (in reference to him previously living out of his car when he was younger).

What television audiences didn’t see was the question after that, when Navarro asked J.D.: “How did you feel when you got the Honda Civic?”

“There aren’t enough words to describe it...,” J.D. began, adding sarcastically, “it’s great, it’s compact, has great air conditioning... it’s a spiffy little car!”

Navarro said jokingly to the crowd: “When they wrote that question down for me, I thought it was pretty stupid too, but, what’re you going to do? Sponsors are sponsors!”

Back to the show and it was time for the first finalist, Australia’s entry, Mig Ayesa, to do his thing.

Singing the Queen classic, Bohemian Rhapsody, Ayesa brought the house down, which earned him accolades from INXS, including a standing ovation from Navarro and half of INXS.

J.D. Fortune was up next, and the ladies man dished out the Rolling Stones classic, You Can’t Always Get What You Want.

Having toned down an earlier controversy, where he claimed that while the other contestants had to learn INXS’s songs, he knew them because he loved the band, J.D. told INXS, here ‘stands before them a guy who loves them deeply’.

J.D.’s standing ovation from all INXS members and Navarro, and Navarro’s comment that they were all ‘truly in awe of your performance,’ kind of secured his place at the top of the rock and roll chain.

Finally, it was Marty Casey’s turn to show them what he had to offer, singing Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here, he toned down his ‘scary conductor’ attitude, and still delivered a high-energy performance.

Saying that he learnt from INXS that ‘less was more’, Marty’s fans made it hard for INXS to comment on his performance, with Tim Farriss saying to the screaming crowd: “I think he gets the hint, guys!”

Then it was time for some off air entertainment, as INXS went retreated to make their final decision.

Mark B was back on stage, looking for willing audience members to participate in a quick little rap contest.

The song was the hip hop classic, Rappers Delight, by Sugar Hill Gang.

First up was a young lady, who didn’t fare too well, with Mark saying, “that was the whitest version of that song ever performed! Can anyone else do any better?”

A little American guy jumped on stage.

“Yeah, that’s just great,” Mark said sarcastically when he saw who was up next, “let’s see if the short white guy is any better!”

But, to everyone’s surprise, the ‘short white guy’ knew all the words to the almost five-minute long rap song, and danced the part to boot, and quickly become a crowd favourite, shocking everyone into laughter.

“What the hell just happened?!” Mark laughed when it was all over.

“Who the hell was that guy?” Navarro asked, running back into the studio to catch a glimpse of the sudden accidental star of the show.

“If we have a season two of this show, it should be Rap Star! That was incredible! You’re incredible!” Navarro said.

Finally, it was the moment of truth as the three finalists were marched back on stage.

After Tim Farriss told the three that “only one can be right for the band”, Mig Ayesa was sent off stage, leaving the futures of Marty Casey and J.D. hanging by a thread.

“J.D., you’re right for our band,” Farriss said to the screams of both J.D. and the crowd.

Then J.D. and INXS performed INXS’s new first single, Easy Easy, live together for the first time as a complete band, with J.D. signing off with “Ladies and Gentlemen ... we are, INXS!”

J.D.’s Fortune

THE biggest issue the newly reformed INXS has to contend with is lead singer, J.D. Fortune’s nationality.

Australia’s biggest rock band, has just signed a Canadian on to replace Michael Hutchence.

That might not go down well with their loyal Australian fans.

“I guess the Aussies are going to be pissed off!” Kirk Pengilly told the Buzz, after the show.

“But we can’t please everyone, and we had to pick who we thought was right for our band.”

Unlike other reality shows, Rock Star: INXS wasn’t open to public vote, with the INXS members deciding amongst themselves who would be the best to join them on tour and in the recording studio.

“It was a majority vote,” Pengilly explained. “...but, it was unanimous!” he laughed.

“There were definitely factions in the INXS camp along the way... there were those who were pro-female singer, for obvious reasons!

“But in the end, we wanted everyone to be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of all the contestants, which will explain to the public why we chose who we chose,” he said.

Over the years, INXS has had big names like Terence Trent D’Arby and fellow Aussie Jimmy Barnes, to sing with them at gigs, but when it came to picking a permanent replacement, they decided to go with a relative unknown.

“We wanted fresh blood,” Pengilly said.

“We scoured the world for someone, and this competition was open to everyone, including established names too.”

Did they have any famous musicians try out and not make the cut?

“Well... I don’t want to really name any names!” Pengilly smiled.

“But I will say that we had one of the Status Quo members’ son who auditioned, and one of the T-Rex members’ sons auditioned as well. It was an open call, and all who auditioned had their own kind of experience, including the final 15 contestants. They all had their own bands and they’ve done their singing in bars and such.”

When you’re a band as big as INXS, you can’t have anyone hogging your limelight.

Though the three finalists were of equal talent, there were little differences that in the end decided the winner.

Marty Casey was too much of a livewire on stage, Mig Ayesa was more of theatre and stage artiste.

J.D. however, blended with the band, not stealing anyone’s attention, while adding to the overall presence of INXS.

“Well, yeah, he does mesh well with us on stage,” Pengilly agreed.

“We were looking for someone who turned heads. J.D. has that combination of charisma, danger, and sex appeal that all great front men have.

“We really dragged them (the contestants) through the coals the past three months, and we feel confident that J.D. has all the goods.”

Has the reality of the situation sunk in yet for J.D.?

“The first thing they said to me was ‘don’t mess up!’ ”J.D. laughed.

“Seriously though, the guys (INXS) opened up to me backstage, so it’s kind of becoming real now,” said a tired J.D.

“We start recording in three days,” he continued, “and I still can’t believe it.”

Having once lived in his car, because he couldn’t afford rent, to living in the extra luxurious rock mansion, to now being the new face of INXS, one wonders where J.D. , a native of Oakville, just outside Nova Scotia in Canada, will next call home.

“I’ll sleep in a tent if I have to!” J.D. laughed, “I’m just so, so happy to be here.”

* INXS kicks off its world tour in its native Australia, after the release of the upcoming album next year.

The MALAYSIAN connection

FORTUNE is his name and now his destiny. Thousands of screaming fans, an album deal and a world tour await him.

J.D. Fortune was made a Rock Star, as rock and roll history was made last week, at the CBS studios, on the corner of Beverly and Genesi, in the heart of Los Angeles, walking away as the winner of Rock Star: INXS.

He was hand picked by the remaining INXS members, Kirk Pengilly, Garry Beers, and the Farriss brothers, Tim, Andrew and Jon, to take the place of their fallen front man, Michael Hutchence, who killed himself in 1997.

J.D. has big shoes to fill, but the crowd favourite seems to have the panache, talent and drive to pull it off.

And let’s not forget, he’s developing a fanbase that seems to grow faster than his fast expanding bank balance.

But, there’s still one simple thing the young Canadian wants to do.

“I just want to put on my ‘kasut’ and go for a ‘jalan’,” J.D. told the Buzz with a smile, at CBS Studios, Los Angeles, after rehearsals for the Grand Finals.

Yup, that was INXS’s new front man, the Canadian born and raised J.D. ‘almost’ speaking Malay.

J.D., together with the other two finalists, Mig Ayesa and Marty Casey, met with about 30 lucky competition winners from around the world in an informal meet and greet session the night before he was crowned the winner.

Now, before rock fans get all excited, J.D. Fortune is not another Guy Sebastian, he’s never lived in Malaysia before.

“My Godparents are from Penang,” J.D. explained to this curious writer.

“My parents got divorced when I was younger, and my Malay Godparents, who were my Mother’s friends, raised me for a few years.” He said.

“I love sarongs... they’re just the greatest things aren’t they?” he claimed.

Why wouldn’t you, they come with automatic and instant in-built air conditioning.

“Exactly! They’re so airy, you got to love them!”

But J.D., who also just quit smoking, is not the only Rock Star: INXS finalist with ties to Malaysia.

Mig Ayesa, who is half-Australian and half-Filipino, also has fond memories of our little country.

“I’ve performed in Malaysia before!” Mig said excitedly once he found out how far this writer travelled to get to meet and greet him.

“Yeah, I performed somewhere called ‘busaya’...” he said unsure, “idaya?” he continued.

In a bid to try and figure out where he performed, I needed to know what exactly he performed.

“Oh, I was in Fame,” he said with a proud smile.

“Istana Budaya,” I said with an equally proud smile.

“Yes! That was it! Did you go watch Fame?”

After telling him yes, it was obvious that if this Rock Star thing didn’t work out for Mig, he still had a good future, and there’s still a high chance Malaysia will see him performing on our stages... just perhaps in tights, instead of leather pants.

Marty Casey, the American who proved the dark horse to get into the top three, seemed a more brooding character than the friendly and fun J.D. and the sweet Mig.

Perhaps he wasn’t happy having to leave the luxury of the Rock Mansion where the contestants had lived and rehearsed for the past three months.

“It was an intense 12 weeks of rock and roll boot camp,” Marty said, “but I think we all went out in style!”

He was referring to Mig, J.D. and his final attempt at rock and roll-ness, when they threw a bunch of chairs into the pool before leaving the mansion for good.

It was J.D. though who charmed the small group of people, as he made his ‘hello’ rounds, quite possibly practicing for his life as a rock star.

Malay Mail
    http://www.mmail.com.my/Current_News...cle/index_html

MRD
    I can only imagine what that poor doll would go through! I think Marty's action figure would be really bendy like him...

Like Stretch Armstrong?? (anyone remember that toy from the 70's? I am really dating myself). He was really bendy and stretchable.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southt...dex/25-ds3.htm

Losing beats winning for Marty Casey

Sunday, September 25, 2005

By Vickie Snow
    Staff writer
    Daily Southtown

On Tuesday night's finale of "Rock Star: INXS", though, J.D. Fortune, an arrogant Canadian, was asked to join the band.

."

Ah, you arrogant Canadians, what the hell are we going to do with you? LOL!

(just kidding. I'm not Canadian and I was offended. Well, what do you expect from us Obnoxious Americans?)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread