+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: News Articles About "ROCK STAR": Post Here!!!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Downsey
    Ah Lois...you didn't just use a George "War" Bush anology on poor Canadian Boy JD did you?

I know you're not JD's biggest fan but does he need to be in the same sentence as Herr Bush?
    Sorry. Nobody should have to share that brunt. But you know what I mean...

Dancing Close To The Edge BusyMom4Boys's Avatar
    JD won. Does that mean he's the best. Let's put it this way. George W. Bush won the U.S. presidency...twice. Does that mean he's the best?

Yes, it means INXS thought JD was the best for their band.

If this show had been ROCKSTAR :Some other band, the end results would probably have been different.

This wasn't a contest about who was the "best" (whatever that means)-- it was a contest about who was best for THIS particular band.

I trust the judgement of the INXS band members. All I know is that INXS has brought a lot of joy to my life over the past 25+ years. A lot of my best memories are rooted in their music. I want them to succeed and follow their own dreams. They picked JD. I embrace their choice, think it was the right one, and wish them all the best.

MRD
    [QUOTE=Lois Lane]

JD won. Does that mean he's the best. Let's put it this way. George W. Bush won the U.S. presidency...twice. Does that mean he's the best?

QUOTE]

Only in his own eyes. He only "won" once. The first one he stole.

I wouldn't vote for him if he had Mig's abs, JD's voice and Garry Gary's sweet, sweet face!

I wish the American people would tell old George today that he's not "roit" for America!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom4Boys

Yes, it means INXS thought JD was the best for their band.

If this show had been ROCKSTAR :Some other band, the end results would probably have been different.

This wasn't a contest about who was the "best" (whatever that means)-- it was a contest about who was best for THIS particular band.

I trust the judgement of the INXS band members. All I know is that INXS has brought a lot of joy to my life over the past 25+ years. A lot of my best memories are rooted in their music. I want them to succeed and follow their own dreams. They picked JD. I embrace their choice, think it was the right one, and wish them all the best.
    I had to drive to Miami today (god alone should have granted me more patience). While driving, I thought, you know, if INXS had held private auditions and then had a press conference on Tuesday and announced that unknown singer, JD Fortune had been chosen by them to be the new lead singer of INXS, that they were releasing a new album and starting a new tour, then probably no one would have given it a second thought other than: "Hmm, wonder if he's any good. Can't replace Michael, but he might be worth a listen". A lot of the JD haters might not have actually hated him or would have at least given him a chance.

But because they choose a public REALITY format where people choose their favorites and then get bent because their favorite wasn't chosen or their favorite isn't universally liked by everyone in the world. It gets to be a real shouting match between everyone as to who it should have been instead of who it was. (I'm thinking of rabid soccer fans, American football and basketball fans, hockey fans, that kind of thing. Everyone gets so passionate about their favorites)

But like i said, if they had just announced: we have a new singer (much like they probably did with the 3 or 4 they have had since Michael died and now), then no one would have given a care in the world about it.

Well, in the grand scheme of life, as yet another hurricane looms over our country and gas prices once again shoot through the roof and soldiers continue to die in Iraq and poverty still affects much of the world and Avian Flu is spreading and my bills are piling up and I had a biopsy today that has me nervous as heck, I have finally put all this into perspective.

It was fun. It was a successful show. I got to hear some great music and a great band has a new chance and so does a boy with a dream. But really, does it make that much difference in MY life or the lives of Katrina and Rita and Iraqi War victims? NOOOO it doesn't.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

INXS' JD: Mum's the word

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...440392,00.html

By SIMON THOMPSON
    Sun Online
    NEW INXS frontman J.D. Fortune has revealed how heíll spend his first rock star wage packet Ė paying off his mumís mortgage.

In an exclusive interview the 32-year-old told us: "The best bit of this for me is that I can help pay for some of my mumís stuff like her house, pay off those debts.

"I come from this family where if someone wanted to fly somewhere it would take three of us to help pay for the airline ticket."

JD added: "It will be nice that my mum wonít have to worry about whether sheís going to have enough money for things.

"Iím just really glad that I can give her some peace of heart."

J.D. won the chance to front the band after beating14 candidates on reality TV show Rock Star: INXS.

The Canadian has had a life of ups and downs from fronting bands to joining the army, and until recently was living in his car.

The fact that the former fan is now the lead singer of one of the most successful rock groups of the last 30 years hasnít sunk in.

"I still canít believe that Iím in INXS Ė just thinking about it gives me goosebumps," he told us.

"When I say it out loud it sounds so great."

The band launched the search for a new member after failing to find a successful replacement for Michael Hutchence who died in 1997.

J.D. told us he realises itís a sensitive issue for hard core fans.

He said: "There is absolutely no doubt that Michaelís light will never go out as far as INXS are concerned.

"Thatís the great thing about having records Ė that music will live on forever.

"Tim Farris (INXSí guitarist) said it best.

"He said they were a family, and when a member passes on you donít just stop being a family.

"Iím just so honoured to be a part of that."

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    "The best bit of this for me is that I can help pay for some of my mumís stuff like her house, pay off those debts.

"I come from this family where if someone wanted to fly somewhere it would take three of us to help pay for the airline ticket."

JD added: "It will be nice that my mum wonít have to worry about whether sheís going to have enough money for things.

"Iím just really glad that I can give her some peace of heart."
    Wow ! I am touched !

I like that type of JD

Thanks Sweetpea! I love all the articles!
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

Fortune Shines as INXS "Star" "E! Online"

by Charlie Amter
    Sep 20, 2005, 9:30 PM PT

INXS hopes to have found a new sensation in the form of a onetime Elvis impersonator.

The Australian band tapped J.D. Fortune as its lead singer on CBS' Rock Star: INXS Tuesday, ending 13 weeks of American Idol-style competition among 15 performers.

"We're a band now," the 31-year-old Canadian singer told E! Online after his win.

"We're complete. That's an amazing thing. And I don't think age has anything to do with it because music is a language, and if you speak it fluently you can speak to other people in that language. And we all speak it fluently."

Fortune--who once paid the bills by imitating the King and, when that failed, lived out of a car--was true to his name, beating out Chicago rocker Marty Casey and Australian performer MiG Ayesa in the one-hour Rock Star finale.

The three performers each got to choose a classic rock cut to perform in front of INXS, cohosts Brooke Burke and Dave Navarro, the 12 eliminated contestants and a live audience at the same Los Angeles studio where American Idol is taped. (Producers built a replica of downtown L.A.'s Mayan Theater inside the complex; the Mayan was the site of the band's final L.A. concert with the late Michael Hutchence.)

Ayesa, who gave up a lead role in the London-based Queen musical We Will Rock You to pursue the INXS gig, kicked off the show with a polished version of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody." Fortune followed with an uptempo take on the Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want." Casey ended the set with an intense rendition of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here."

After a brief deliberation by the band members--Andrew, Tim and Jon Farriss, Kirk Pengilly and Garry Beers--Ayesa was given his walking papers. (Thus disproving an Internet conspiracy theory that he was the show's ringer brought in by the band and show producer Mark Burnett.)

The five band members then took the stage and performed one INXS song with each of the finalists. Crowd favorite Casey sang "Don't Change," while the brash Fortune, who was portrayed during the season as the most focused contestant, belted out "What You Need." After another deliberation, Tim Farriss announced Fortune as the new frontman.

After the finale, which was taped at 10 a.m., and post-show mini-concert during which the new INXS broke out some new material, including the song "Easy, Easy," Fortune met with the press.

"I'm going to sleep all day," he said, adding that his second rock star indulgence would be to "hang out with INXS all the time."

Fortune will get his wish soon enough. He's due in the studio to lay down vocals on the band's full-length album, Switch, on Nov. 29, with a world tour commencing in early 2006. Switch represents INXS' first new studio set since Hutchence's suicide in 1997.

"He's very passionate," bassist Beers said of his new mate. "He's got a lot of energy. And we feel comfortable about what heís going to bring to INXS and appreciate what we are offering him more than anybody. He's now an equal member of the brain trust of INXS performance-wise and in the studio. And that will unfold as we go along."

The band, with Fortune in tow, will now write songs together in addition to rehearsing tunes from INXS' back catalog of hits in advance of the fall release and impending word tour.

Already, "Pretty Vegas," a song Fortune cowrote with Andrew Farris during Rock Star, is set to become a new single. It will be released Wednesday on Epic Records.

The tune was the second-best-selling single on MSN Music as of Tuesday, behind, ironically enough, Casey's original song "Trees."

Despite losing out to Fortune, the 31-year-old Casey won't disappear. Tim Farris said during the finale that INXS "would like to talk to you about possibly opening up for us on our upcoming world tour."

As for the other aspiring Rock Star contestants, they told the audience in between takes at the taping that they were all continuing to pursue musical careers.

Meanwhile, show mastermind Burnett said he's already looking forward to a new edition of Rock Star with a different band. "We're in a lot of discussions with people," he told E! Online. "I think that you're very, very likely to see Rock Star: Season Two."

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,...00.html?fdnews

New sensation

INXS Choose Lead Singer
    Reality show culminates in Aussie rockers picking J.D. Fortune

Although the veteran Aussie rockers had fun taping their summer-long reality series, Rock Star: INXS, it was also serious business. "This whole process, the TV show, was all about finding a new singer so we can do what we do best," guitarist/saxophonist Kirk Pengilly said after the Tuesday morning taping of the show's finale at Los Angeles' CBS Studios. "And that's go out and play music."
    The show's winner -- and, by definition, INXS' new lead singer -- is Canadian J.D. Fortune, who out-dueled Chicagoan Marty Casey with renditions of the Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and INXS' own "What You Need," backed by his bandmates-to-be. As a consolation prize, Casey was offered an opening slot on INXS' upcoming world tour.

"I know you guys have waited a long time for this," keyboardist Andrew Farris told the audience before the band made its decision, "but we've waited even longer."

INXS, who formed in 1977 and scored hits in the Eighties and Nineties with singles like "What You Need," "Need You Tonight" and "Suicide Blonde," have been without a permanent singer since charismatic frontman Michael Hutchence was found dead in a Sydney hotel room in 1997. The band had since tried a series of vocalists, including a tour with British R&B singer Terence Trent D'Arby.

Pengilly said that this time the band feels complete. "It's been a long time since we've been onstage with a singer," he said. The chemistry was immediately apparent as Fortune joined his new bandmates for a post-taping concert that included several of the band's biggest hits, as well as a new track, "Easy, Easy."

The thirty-two-year-old Fortune had been planning for this gig for years. "I was living in Nova Scotia, and I had a little twelve-inch black-and-white TV," he said of his earliest INXS memory. "I saw one of their videos, and I went, 'Oh my god, that's the band.' I've been in love with them ever since."

Fortune and INXS will perform this Friday on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson and October 17th at the new Virgin Megastore in Hollywood before beginning a world tour in January.

From Rolling Stone
    http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...s-player=false

INXS gets Canadian touch
    By Patrick Donovan
    Music Writer
    September 22, 2005

Page Tools
    Email to a friend Printer format
    Rock band INXS yesterday found its latest replacement for the late Michael Hutchence through reality TV show Rock Star: INXS ó and it's not an Australian.

Canadian singer J. D. Fortune, 31, beat American Marty Casey, Sydney's Mig Ayesa and 12 others to join the iconic Australian rock group after failed trials with singers Terence Trent D'Arby, Jon Stevens and Suzie DeMarchi.

The band went straight into the studio with their new singer to record their first single, Pretty Vegas, which was co-written by keyboardist and guitarist Andrew Farriss and Fortune, and will be released today.

INXS will then record their first new album in eight years, titled Switch, which will be released on November 29, before embarking on a world tour.

Although there has been some criticism over the process of finding a new singer, the show has been a canny marketing move. It was watched by 2.66 million viewers on Foxtel, and millions more in the US, Canada, Asia and New Zealand. Even if some old fans and a small percentage of viewers buy the album, it will chart well.

Advertisement
    AdvertisementAsked whether the band feared an Australian backlash after they decided against the Australian entrant, INXS said they had only wanted to pick the best person for the job.

"We had three months to get to know all 15 singers and they're all fantastic," guitarist Tim Farriss said.

"To us it wasn't about race, colour, creed or sex, and we're open to whatever gender. As far as we're concerned, the best person for the job won, and we just hope that everyone embraces it, including our fans."

Rock Star: INXS - The Final Countdown will be shown on FOX8 on Monday, October 3, from 10am to 8.30pm

Australia's The Age

http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/...982123428.html

+ Reply to Thread