+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: News Articles About "ROCK STAR": Post Here!!!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Article about Marty in a Chicago newspaper

A friend emailed me this story on Marty:

Chicago rocker to learn if he's INXS or out
    September 20, 2005
    Chicago Sun Times

Tonight we find out if Chicago's Marty Casey is going to be a new sensation on the rock scene.

The musician is one of three finalists on CBS' "Rock Star: INXS," a reality show in which the winner gets to front multi-platinum band INXS.

Casey, the longtime lead singer of local band Lovehammers, has been making his way through the competition by impressing the judges -- the remaining members of the band -- and belting out the tunes. He's excelled in all musical genres, from grunge to the most bubblegum of pop.

Along the way, he has gained the respect of the judges and the love of the audience. So much love, in fact, that a couple of weeks ago someone threw a pair of women's underpants on stage. Casey kept them.

But to land the job, he'll have to beat out some hefty competition. J.D., a Canadian bad boy, has impressed the judges with his rock 'n' roll image and his unique interpretation of songs.

There's also Mig, an Australian like the INXS members, who has a great voice and can work the crowd. His downfall is that he may be too nice and spent too much time doing musicals.

Casey, a 31-year-old commercial real-estate appraiser, as been the most consistent of the bunch.

He performed an original song on the show, called "Trees," and it went to the top of the download chart on MSN. He has also consistently been voted the best performer of the week by the national viewing audience.

Although there is no word on what will happen to the Lovehammers if (no, make that when) Casey wins, the band -- and dozens of his fans -- will show their support at a public viewing party tonight. It starts at 8 at Joe's Sports Bar, 940 W. Weed, with the show beginning at 9. The Lovehammers -- sans Casey, of course -- perform at 10.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/enter...r-marty20.html

Man, could I love JD any more? A good Canadian...beer and Timmy's coffee! I would love to buy him a double double!

I love the long posts. It makes me waste so much more of my boring workday!

Thank you all for making such lengthy posts for us who's job is a touch on the dull side.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eh~mee!
    I love the long posts. It makes me waste so much more of my boring workday!

Thank you all for making such lengthy posts for us who's job is a touch on the dull side.
    Oh, aren't you a sweetheart!

Quote Originally Posted by CdnINXSFan
    Goffin is considering taking the show on the road, having the house band tour with all or some of the candidate singers.
    Yes! Yes! Yes! But I guess it would depend on who was on the tour with them…
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar..._id=1001177625

J.D. Fortune Named New INXS Singer

By Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

After a 13-week public audition, J.D. Fortune has been named the new frontman of rock group INXS. The one-time homeless singer was selected by the band from a field of 15 that had been whittled to three for last night's (Sept. 20) finale of the reality show CBS' "Rock Star: INXS."

"Tonight we become a complete band again," INXS guitarist Tim Farriss said as he informed the hopefuls and the viewing audience of the band's choice.

"J.D. has a slightly dangerous edge and will bring a sense of spontaneity to our live show," Farriss says in a statement released today. "In addition, he has both the star quality we were looking for and is an inspired lyricist. I think he'll grow with us on all levels."

The single "Pretty Vegas," recorded before the final show's taping, will be made available to U.S. radio outlets today via the band's new label, Sony BMG's Epic Records. It will be sold exclusively through Apple's iTunes music store for two weeks beginning Oct. 4.

The band plans to hit the studio immediately with producer Guy Chambers (Robbie Williams) to record "Switch." Its first new studio album since 1997 will be released Nov. 29. Ahead of a world tour that opens in January, the band will appear Friday on CBS' "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" and on Oct. 17 will perform at Los Angeles' new Virgin Megastore (Hollywood and Highland).

It was Fortune's performance last night of INXS' 1986 hit "What You Need" that convinced band members to choose him over Marty Casey, who performed the group's 1983 breakthrough single "Don't Change" during the second performance stage of last night's show. Third finalist MiG Ayesa was eliminated after a first round of performances with the show's house band.

"It's an understatement to say that this is a dream come true," says Fortune. "Growing up, INXS albums like 'Shabooh Shoobah,' 'Listen Like Thieves' and 'Kick' were a huge musical influence on me. I'd listen to their songs and wonder what it would be like to be in this band. That they've chosen me to be their new lead singer is just mind-blowing."

The Australian band has been without a permanent singer since the November 1997 death of Michael Hutchence. The surviving members -- brothers Tim and Andrew Farriss (keyboards/guitar), Kirk Pengilly (guitar) and Jon Farris (drums) -- hatched the global search for a new vocalist with television producer Mark Burnett ("Survivor"). The reality show also featured substantial input from guitarist Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers) and was hosted by Brooke Burke.

FORT Fogey
    Marty rocks on
    Chicago's Casey not INXS' pick

By Maureen Ryan
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published September 21, 2005, 6:45 AM CDT

In the end, Chicagoan Marty Casey was not right for INXS.

Swivel-hipped belter J.D. Fortune was chosen by the Australian rock band to be their lead singer on the Tuesday season finale of "Rock Star: INXS."

Casey, who grew up in Hickory Hills, did get a consolation prize: The band invited Casey and his band the Lovehammers to open for them on INXS' upcoming world tour.

"I can't say I wasn't disappointed not to get the gig, it's what I came here to do, but it seemed like it was meant to be," Casey said in a phone interview after taping of the "Rock Star" finale ended Tuesday evening. "I'm still part of the INXS family, but with a different twist."

During the run of the CBS show, which saw its ratings increase markedly in the key 18-49 demographic, Casey debuted an original song, "Trees," which became a fan favorite, but in truth, didn't have much in common with INXS' pop-funk.

"My concern going into this was that my music is a little different than their music. J.D. seems like he's in the same style," Casey said, who competed against Fortune and Australian Mig Ayesa in the finale. "I totally respect INXS' decision, it is their band and they've given me so much."

For Casey, the next few weeks will be about reconnecting with friends and family and trying to get a record deal for his band.

"I'm being told how much this has changed my life, but I haven't stepped outside into the civilian world for weeks," said Casey, who spent Tuesday evening with family members who flew out to Los Angeles for the finale. "My family doesn't treat me any different, but a lot of people ask me for autographs. That is completely different for me, but I'm a lead singer, I love attention."

So what's it like hanging out with INXS?

"It's like hanging out with your buddies. There's so much youthful energy with those guys, they're so upbeat. They're so positive, they're about, 'Let's work really hard, and then let's party really hard.' They have a good time, but they get the job done first. Get the job done, there's no celebration until then. They're hardworking Australian dudes, that's why they are so successful. They were not overnight successes, they developed over 12 albums. They worked their [butts] off."

Do you think part of the reason the show's ratings grew was because it was not about ripping people apart?

"I 100 percent agree with that. It wasn't the same old, same old. It was 15 extremely talented people getting a once in a lifetime chance with INXS and Dave Navarro, who were trying to make you better, not taking shots at you. It wasn't about unneeded drama, it was about getting the best out of each singer.

"You can see that in the monumental songs we got to do, 'Wish You Were Here' was never done on TV except for a benefit after 9/11. That shows you how much artists respected the show, what we were allowed to cover -- it was not about drama, it was about singers trying to give great performances."

Did you ever get any feedback from bands whose songs you covered?

"I heard Pink Floyd liked my version of 'Wish You Were Here.' That was enough for me. I mean, Roger Waters saying he liked it... it doesn't get any better than that."

So you think the competition turned out for the best in the end?

"If you would have told me that 24 hours ago, I would have told you you're crazy. Still, there's a silver lining in this tour with INXS. I get to tour with INXS in a different way, I get to open for them. It really worked out to be perfect for me, I get to be part of the INXS family but with a different twist.

"I can't say I wasn't disappointed not to get the gig, it's what I came here to do, but it seemed like it was meant to be."

I actually wondered if your songwriting style would fit in with what INXS wanted to do.

"My concern going into this was that my music is a little different than their music. J.D. seems like he's in the same style. I totally respect INXS' decision, it is their band and they've given me so much. It is their band. I have grown so much, they are so wise. I can't complain about my experience here, it's been amazing. Even though J.D. is going to be the lead singer of INXS, they're still helping me out."

When does the tour start?

"I think New Year's Eve."

How long have you been with Lovehammers?

"Half my life, since we were about 15 years old. [Casey is 31]. We had no idea what we were doing when we started. [Going on `Rock Star'] was me coming to a point where I thought I had to step outside that fold a little bit and see what I had going on on my own.

"Lovehammers' version of `Trees' is apparently on some chart somewhere, it's crazy. It was in a drawer somewhere [in a band member's house]. Now the band is blown away, they can't even keep up with the amount of sales they're getting."

How did you feel when it was announced that J.D. Fortune would be the winner?

"I just threw my shoulders back and took the bad news. I didn't want to be the sad guy in the corner. I put a smile on my face, because it was his moment. It was nothing to do with me. I give props to him, he did what he came here to do."

It seemed like the singers had their ups and downs but were pretty tight, is that really the case?

"That's the honest truth, we were tight. People have their ups and downs, artists tend to be hot or cold and creative people tend to be kind of moody. We had our moments, we had some arguments, but we were really trying to help each other too."

What's next?

"What's happening for me now is that I want to take a bit of time and step back and see what the big picture looks like without being in it. I don't even know what happened at this point in my life, it's all been a big tornado [the last few weeks]. I've got to figure out what's happening. I've got that Midwestern backbone, I'm hardworking. I want to figure out how to parlay this into a record deal for the Lovehammers. I'm not really one to slow down, so I'm just going to go with the momentum.

"It's been such a positive experience, there are minute things I would change here and there, but really, it's been amazing. I lost, but it's okay."

It may be too late but for JD fans in the Toronto area, the National Post had a full page add in Tuesday's National Post saying 'JD Rocks ... but will he be the next singer for INXS?' Great picture.

Quote Originally Posted by CdnINXSFan
    It may be too late but for JD fans in the Toronto area, the National Post had a full page add in Tuesday's National Post saying 'JD Rocks ... but will he be the next singer for INXS?' Great picture.

OOOOO, thanks CdnINXfan, I think I may have a copy of the paper here in the office!

This includes an interview with Burnett who says he didn't expect JD to win and he mentions Queen and Van Halen or a new super group as possibilities for a future show.

http://www.calgarysun.com/cgi-bin/pu...cles&s=showbiz

Good Fortune for Canucks on Survivor
    Bill Brioux
    Sun Media
    September 22, 2005

Today, Rock Star: INXS. Tomorrow, Survivor?

J.D. FORTUNE

Executive producer Mark Burnett told the Sun Sept. 21 that Nova Scotia-native J.D. Fortune’s win could finally open the door to Canadian contestants on Survivor, The Apprentice and other big money reality shows.

In the past, the U.S. networks have restricted their reality shows to U.S. citizens. Burnett says some of it is because of legalities — Canadians might not be bound to the same contractual restrictions — but really it’s all about ratings. The presumption was nobody in Texas or Florida or California wants to cheer for a final four tribal member from, say, Brampton, Ont.

Or would they? Toronto singer Tara Sloane was the fifth rocker sent home. Burnett pointed out three of the seven Rock Star finalists were Canadian. Besides Fortune, there was Mississauga’s Suzie McNeil and Kingston-native Deanna Johnston. Along with Australian Mig Ayesa, there were more foreigners than Americans in the final seven, yet U.S. ratings for Rock Star continued to build (the finale drew close to eight million viewers on CBS).

“If you look at that situation, it certainly bodes well for the future of getting a Canadian on Survivor,” said Burnett, who is negotiating with CBS to produce a second edition of Rock Star next summer.

“Tell Canadians to submit more tapes,” he said, pointing toward Rock Star’s website.

Now that INXS has a new lead singer, what would Burnett do for an encore? Groups like Queen and Van Halen need singers, he said, or he could form a brand new super group.

He admits he was no Fortune teller when it came to J.D. “I predicted he’d be gone six weeks ago,” said Burnett.

Ultimately, he felt “the right person won. After (Tuesday’s) show finished he sang six or seven songs with INXS. He looked like he’d been with them for 10 years.”

Burnett said Fortune reminded him of “Richard Hatch winning Survivor. Big character, right?” He also had some “game-playing, Boston Rob traits.”

Burnett suggested this was the most consequential reality win ever. Instead of winning a job (Apprentice) or money (Survivor) “you step into a band that has sold 30 million albums worldwide.”

+ Reply to Thread