+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: News Articles About "ROCK STAR": Post Here!!!

Buffalo News-music review

"Rock Star: Music From the Hit Television Show" (Epic). What a load of dross this is. It was bad enough watching INXS - a decent band when fronted by the late Michael Hutchence, who surely did a few back-flips in his grave when his former bandmates started making fools of themselves in a televised talent contest to find his replacement - stoop to the level of "American Idol." It's far worse to sit through this collection of mutilated classic rock covers by contestants who, for the most part, sing like the models they clearly wish they were. Jordis Unga destroys the Who's "Baba O'Riley"; Marty Casey clearly thinks Van Halen wrote the Kinks' "You Really Got Me"; Dana Robbins prefaces her take on Bob Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" - a song about death, for god's sake - with a wholly inappropriate "Yo, what's up Los Angeles!"; J.D. Fortune - the guy who INXS actually picked, believe it or not - slaughters the Guess Who's "American Woman." And so forth. This would all be pretty funny, if it wasn't so shamefully awful. Hope none of these folks quit their day job. Hey, here's an idea: Wanna be a rock star? Write some songs of your own! And INXS? They've disgraced the memory of Hutchence, who was a great frontman and a unique singer. Shame on you blokes. No stars (Jeff Miers)
    Last edited by OriginalSinner; 10-10-2005 at 10:19 PM.

giz
    Jeff Miers is one grumpy bloke! Thanks for posting that. I like how he doesn't mention any of the great covers (I missed American Woman) that were done. Grumpy grumpy man. Needs to have broomstick surgically removed. INXS wasn't some sort of papal decree which could never be changed. It was a nice little rock band. Why does it have to be preserved in amber? I wonder if he even watched the show, as I question how he could compare it to AI.

What a freakin' moron. The only other derogatory article I've read regarding this show was written in our local paper after the first episode by a 16 year old boy in a "special " section of our local newspaper, and we all know that 16 year olds think it's "cool" to come across as "jaded". How old is Jeff Miers? Yeah, I thought so, 12.
    Go Tigers!

FORT Fogey
    Personally, I don't much care for professional critics. And music critics seem to be the absolute worst group. Their over-riding attitude seems to be that there are no valid musical tastes other than their own, so of course if they don't like something, it must be trash.

Where is it written that rock singers always need to write the songs themselves in order to be able to perform them well? Lots of acts (e.g. Three Dog Night, Meatloaf) routinely sang material written by others and the list is endless of great rock singers who've sung covers of previously recorded material.

And giz is right to point out Miers total lack of objectivity and fairness in conveniently ignoring all the great performances (Wish You Were Here, California Dreaming, The Man Who Sold The World, Baby I Love Your Way, Lithium, The Letter, No Woman No Cry, Mr. Brightside, even Baby Hit Me One More Time).

Shame on you, Jeff Miers. I give your review a grade of 'F'.

MRD
    It's been my experience that when a critic (movies, books, music, art,) hates something, then I usually like it, but when the critics rave about something most of the time I hate it. It's like everything has to be so lofty and arty to be worth anything. Well you know what? I aim slightly lower than that. LOL!

I think critics see something appealing to a mass audience and therefore think that the "masses" are not nearly as educated or have as good taste as they do, so they have to dis it.

Now the only critics I really listen too are the food critics. They are usually spot on in their reviews.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

It was a review of the CD, not the show

Hey all, the Miers review was of the CD, not the show. And as far as the CD review goes, I pretty much agree with him. (He's not a very eloquent or interesting writer--but I get his sentiments.) I bought the CD and am glad to have it...BUT...it's definitely not the best songs on there and I could've spent that money better downing a few double lattes instead. The songs got better with each show and on this CD, it sounds kinda tinny and "amateur night."

I think the recordings are from early on 'cause all the contestants have a track on there. I think they threw on Jordis' "Man Who Fell..." and MiG's "Baby I Love Your Way" as bonuses after the fact...but the CD was obviously rushed to capitalize on the popularity of the show, 'cause there's no "Wish You Were Here" (or even "Trees" and "Pretty Vegas").

FORT Fan
    INXS create new sensation on US charts

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - With a new lead singer chosen by the viewers of the CBS reality series "Rock Star: INXS," the Australian band returned to the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart Thursday after an absence of 12 and a half years.

Canadian-born J.D. Fortune is the new voice of INXS. He steps into a role held by Michael Hutchence until his November 22, 1997, death.

If it was a gamble to select a new lead singer via a TV talent competition, it has paid off for INXS. "Pretty Vegas," the group's debut on the Epic label after stints on Atlantic and Mercury, bowed on the Hot 100 at No. 37. That's the highest debut ever for an INXS song.

The entry of "Pretty Vegas" comes 22 and a half years after the appearance of the first INXS chart single, "The One Thing," which peaked at No. 30 in 1983. The band had its first top 5 single with its sixth chart entry, "What You Need," in 1986. After two more singles failed to break into the top 40, INXS had a run of six top 10 hits, beginning with the group's only No. 1 song, "Need You Tonight," in January 1988.

Reuters/Billboard

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan
    The entry of "Pretty Vegas" comes 22 and a half years after the appearance of the first INXS chart single, "The One Thing," which peaked at No. 30 in 1983. The band had its first top 5 single with its sixth chart entry, "What You Need," in 1986. After two more singles failed to break into the top 40, INXS had a run of six top 10 hits, beginning with the group's only No. 1 song, "Need You Tonight," in January 1988.

Reuters/Billboard

Wow! All you JD fans are taking the band to the top of the charts again!

BTW, I LOVED "The One Thing." I know that wasn't their biggest hit, but that was the song that made me an INXS fan...

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan
    INXS create new sensation on US charts
    Shouldn't be a surprise as that PV song was played over a few weeks on a show that was viewed by millions. The true test will be after PV and the concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    Hey all, the Miers review was of the CD, not the show. And as far as the CD review goes, I pretty much agree with him.
    There was some talk of a second CD if this one sold well. I hope they decide to do it (whether this one sells well or not) with some of the better songs on it. I have no desire for that CD.

The DVD, now that's a different story!

+ Reply to Thread