+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: News Articles About "ROCK STAR": Post Here!!!

Jon, ex-lead singer SLAMS INXS

Jon slams INXS
    September 30, 2005

FORMER frontman of Noiseworks and one-time INXS lead singer Jon Stevens has lashed out at reality TV show Rock Star, calling it Mock Star and criticising the band members of the Aussie rock group.

Stevens - who is currently judging New Zealand Idol - ranted about the show, and advised Rock Star winner J.D. Fortune to make sure he had a good lawyer, because he was going to be "raped and pillaged".
    "Mock Star's main objective is money, money and greed," he raved on a live taping of NZ Idol.

Sour grapes? Stevens spent three years touring as the lead singer of INXS after singer Michael Hutchence's suicide in 1997, but never recorded with the band.

http://entertainment.news.com.au/sto...3-7484,00.html

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner
    Jon slams INXS
    September 30, 2005

FORMER frontman of Noiseworks and one-time INXS lead singer Jon Stevens has lashed out at reality TV show Rock Star, calling it Mock Star and criticising the band members of the Aussie rock group.

Stevens - who is currently judging New Zealand Idol - ranted about the show, and advised Rock Star winner J.D. Fortune to make sure he had a good lawyer, because he was going to be "raped and pillaged".
    "Mock Star's main objective is money, money and greed," he raved on a live taping of NZ Idol.

Sour grapes? Stevens spent three years touring as the lead singer of INXS after singer Michael Hutchence's suicide in 1997, but never recorded with the band.

http://entertainment.news.com.au/sto...3-7484,00.html
    Ok, now that is just sad. Does he not even recognize the irony of being a judge on an Idol show, while criticizing Rock Star? I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin
    Ok, now that is just sad. Does he not even recognize the irony of being a judge on an Idol show, while criticizing Rock Star? I guess not.
    Apparently he was paid a salary whereas JD gets to share in the profit. No wonder he was upset and slammed INXS

From what I've read, they only released one single while in partership with Jon Stevens, so it doesn't sound as if they really meshed with him at all. Apparently they think more highly of their relationship with JD, if they are offering him a share in the profit rather than just a salary.

http://www.canada.com/national/natio...4-c9a08c4fb358

September 30, 2005 NATIONAL POST (SPECIAL REPORT: DRIVER'S EDGE)

Living his life on the road to stardom - literally Home, as the adage goes, is where you lay your hat. This, then, would suggest that J.D. Fortune's hat rack used to be the stick shift of a 1990 Nissan beater.

Sure, the singer doesn't have to worry about shelter now that he is fronting one of the world's most successful rock bands. But before winning top prize last week in the CBS/Global/CH TV reality TV show Rock Star: INXS, the Nova Scotia native was a struggling Rock Star: IN A SENTRA.

"Yeah, it was really cramped in there," reminisces the 6-foot-2 Fortune about the car that was -- "because of a bad financial decision" -- home for about a month during his starving artist years in Toronto.

"I couldn't couch hop and impose on my friends for too long," says Fortune,32, on the phone from Los Angeles, where he is rehearsing for an upcoming album and tour with his new band. "And after about two weeks, I just decided I'm not going to bug anybody anymore and decided to live in my car."But it had a great view in the morning, because I could park it anywhere that I wanted to wake up."

OK, so we have all -- for, ahem, various reasons -- crashed in our car at some point, have we not? Flipped the seat back, rolled down the window a bit and let the wind and crickets woo us to sleep. But not in the dead of winter. "Oh, yeah, man," says Fortune with a sigh, "like in February and March, some nights it was, well, kinda chilly."

An understatement, no doubt, but consistent with all his memories of his vehicle-cum-homestead, which he adamantly insists was never a symbol of failure."How did I feel about that car? I loved it," he jumps in, before he has even heard the full question. "When I got kicked out of my [apartment], I had to get rid of a lot of stuff, like my microwave and couch. So I ended up living this Gypsy lifestyle in my car, and I loved it because it was the only thing I actually owned."

That kind of intimacy, to be sure, would nurture a special relationship with any vehicle.And Fortune is philosophical about what his beloved Sentra --or any musician's vehicle, for that matter -- can represent. "A place of peace," he explains, sounding more like the strict vegetarian he is than the Epic recording artist he has become. "

[The car] is a means to step into traffic and anonymity and just focus on the road ahead ... Something completely different than the hectic day you've just had." Keeping the car quiet after a live performance, he says, was his norm. "It's that moment when I could chill out."However," he is quick to add, "I like to have the tunes blasting on the way to the gig, so I can get into it."

No doubt, the brand new Honda Civic that Fortune and the two Rock Star runners-up won came equipped with one kick-ass stereo. But Fortune will not hear it. The moment he was awarded the Civic, he insists, he knew exactly what he would do with it: donate it to one specific needy family from the flood-and- hurricane-ravaged New Orleans area. "They'd been writing letters to the show," he says. "And I just decided that they would get better use out of it in their lives than I would in mine." Or maybe it was because the erstwhile struggling singer wanted to choose a car more conducive to his new lifestyle and bank account.

Then again, maybe not. When asked what his dream vehicle would be, now that he can afford more than a 15- year-old clunker, Fortune offers, without hesitation, "A 1990 Nissan Sentra."

Ever the Canadian and still clearly conscious of fuel prices,he justifies,with tongue not so firmly planted in cheek, "No, seriously. That's probably what I'd pick.

"She was great on gas!"

Jon-INXS single and pic

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    From what I've read, they only released one single while in partership with Jon Stevens, so it doesn't sound as if they really meshed with him at all. Apparently they think more highly of their relationship with JD, if they are offering him a share in the profit rather than just a salary.
    Yes, they had a single with Jon, I get up ! Below is an article about Jon quitting INXS, he's in the picture with the other 5 INXS members (the guy in front)

http://www.undercover.com.au/news/20...1009_inxs.html

I hope this link works. This is a *great!* interview with Jon and JD on a radio station in Austin. Sounds like they are doing just fine together. Jon says that JD amazes the band every day with how he is handling all of the pressure of recording and doing masses of press daily. When the interviewer asks JD how he is handling it, he says "lots of beer!" and he and Jon both laugh. JD gives a great interview. He is poised, funny, warm, engaging, articulate and likeable.

He also has nice things to say about MiG and Marty, and a really funny description of the last night in the mansion. He says they removed all the furniture except for cots, lawn chairs, and a table to eat on. They put cardboard on the floors and plastic on the stairs! So there they were, sitting in an empty mansion, but they were served king crab for dinner!

JD truly sounds grateful for everything he has right now.

Again, hope this link works...

http://www06.megaupload.com/files/42.../INXSFINAL.mp3

RockStar-Aftermath

'Rock Star' aftermath

First posted 08:33pm (Mla time) Oct 02, 2005
    By Fran Katigbak
    Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A2-1 of the October 3, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

SEEMS new INXS lead singer JD Fortune is not the only lucky guy to emerge from "Rock Star: INXS."

Barely two weeks after the finale, runners-up Marty Casey and MiG Ayesa have also begun to reap the rewards of their success from the reality show created to find a front man for the Aussie band.

Marty Casey and his band, the Lovehammers, have been invited to front-act for INXS on a world tour.

"I was bombed," said Marty, describing in a teleconference how he took INXS' choice for lead singer (JD) as announced during the finals. "I thought 100 percent I'd win it. I performed really well with INXS and there was a lot of creative energy between me and Andrew Farriss."

But Marty's perspective changed when he was offered the front act deal: "I felt like the universe gave me exactly what I needed at that moment. It was the perfect ending."

The Chicago-based rocker had just celebrated his 32nd birthday with the other rockers who were still in California. He said he
    was writing new material with an LA composer.

Following negotiations with a record label, Marty said the Lovehammers were set to move to LA, where they want to record and be around people they want to work with. "We're going to be writing [songs and] rehearsing, rehearsing, rehearsing for the tour," he added.

Among the numbers they're polishing for the big gig is his pop-rock composition, "Trees," which debuted on "Rock Star." Marty said the song also had "to get out there soon" as a single. "We (the Lovehammers) just need to solidify the version we want to release."

'Kiss and whatever'

He thanked INXS for giving him and his band the chance "to prove that we have some talent. I really appreciate the support. Just the fact that [they cared] about the guy who took second place means a lot to me."

Filipino-Australian MiG Ayesa said he was visiting the Philippines soon to thank all the people here who voted for him every week during the whole series.

"I'm going to be there to shake their hands and kiss and whatever," said the rocker who expressed relief when the competition was over. "I'm very happy with the results. I made it to the finals, achieved everything I wanted to achieve and didn't have to become anyone other than myself. I'm proud to have maintained my integrity and dignity. At the same time... I won a Honda!"

MiG said he was not bothered that Marty was asked to join the INXS world tour. He explained: "Marty has the Lovehammers, who are ready to go [on tour], whereas I am working on a new direction with my music and that will take a little bit longer."

He said the new album he was putting together would have more funk-rock with some piano work-a departure from the projects of his London-based experimental band, MiGnition, "which is quite rock-specific." In fact, he said, he would like to include in his new collection several arrangements that he did while staying at the "Rock Star" contenders' LA mansion.

One example is his version of "Baby I Love Your Way" which, according to MiG, "went down very, very well. Peter Frampton himself called me to say how much he loved [my interpretation of the] song."

There was nothing definite at the moment, the 35-year-old artist admitted. But he disclosed that a meeting with a major record label in New York had been set.

"It's all a bit hazy as far as the future is concerned [since I didn't win]," MiG said. "But I'll be okay. I've got good people behind me and a lot of support."

A little notorious

Meanwhile, he was "getting a lot of notoriety in LA," he said, laughing. "Every time I walk down the street, people stop or pull over in their cars and say, 'You were robbed! I voted for you!'"

Last Monday, MiG sang "Star Spangled Banner" at the Malibu triathlon where he ran into more supporters.

"There were people there from 'Desperate Housewives' and 'CSI,' none of whom I met because they were all competing," MiG said. "All these movie stars but, as I walked through the crowd, everyone was screaming 'MiG! MiG!' I was like, 'Dude, don't look at me. Look who's standing beside you-Emmy and Oscar award-winning stars!"

If there was one thing MiG felt really grateful about while he was on "Rock Star," he said, it was being Filipino.

"Filipinos are making an impact on the international music scene," he pointed out. "I'm very proud to be a part of that push."

Jon's bio

Jon's biography, the guy I posted on page 6, if anyone's interested.

Jon Stevens has carved a reputation as one of the great vocalists of Australian popular music.

Coming to prominence as the frontman of rock/power pop outfit Noiseworks in the late 80ís, Jon has enjoyed multiple weeks at the top of the Australian charts with Noiseworksí debut self-titled album and the number one follow up Touch.

Known for their anthemic melodic hooks and blistering live shows, Noiseworks sold 1.2 million records and solidified their reputation as one of the seminal Aussie rock bands of all time.

With the release of Love versus Money, their third album, Noiseworks again peaked at number one after a sellout tour of the nation.

The band called it a day in 1992 and Jon was cast as Judas in the blockbuster musical Jesus Christ Superstar.

Starring Jon, Kate Ceberano, John Farnham, and Angry Anderson the show ran a mammoth 84 nights and was performed across Australia to more than a million people. Jon was now a household name among young rock fans and adult audiences alike.

When the Superstar tour ended, Jon recorded what many believed to be his debut solo opus Are U Satisfied.

Unbeknown to most on the western side of the Tasman, Jonís first foray into recorded music occurred when he was just sixteen and living in New Zealand. Heíd been working at the EMI record plant pressing vinyl and to relieve the monotony would sing up a storm with his co-workers, one of whom was his sister. They entered a talent quest and were spotted by an EMI rep, who signed Jon and released his first single Jezebel.

The funky disco love ballad bulleted to number one in the Kiwi charts and was quickly followed up by Montego Bay, which replaced his debut single in the number one spot.

Listeners of those early tunes are struck by Jonís distinct vocal signature, but more striking are comparisons with his voice of today; despite the years belting out rock n roll, Jonís vocal reveals precisely the same tonal perfection as it did at sixteen years of age.

But back to the 1990ís. The new rugby league code Super-League was engulfing Australia and Jon, one of the gameís biggest fans, was asked to record the theme song. A remake of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Two Tribes was released on BMG.

A second single, I Wish It Would Rain was made to aid stricken farmers in a time of drought with all proceeds from the song going to their relief.

With another solo record Circle and a Noiseworks reunion tour Jon saw out the decade.

2000 was Olympics year in Sydney and with INXSís Jon Farriss, Jon released the single Carry the Flame which became the official theme for the Olympic Torch relay.

His work with Jon Farriss and previous backing vocal sessions with INXS led to Jon joining the band after the untimely death of Michael Hutchence. After tours of the US, Latin America and Europe Jon was announced as INXSís Ďseventh memberí and three years of global performing followed.

In late 2003 Jonís desire to create new music resulted in his resignation from INXS and commencement of work on an album which has redefined this eclectic artistís musical direction.

A reflection on his 25 years in the music biz, Ainít No Life for the Faint Hearted is a return to Jonís soul/R+B roots and amalgamates the talents of some new guest artists with the skills of some of the most experienced producers in the R+B world.

Ainít No Life for the Faint Hearted hits stores across Australia on November 7,

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    OS and SweetPea, thanks so much for posting all those great articles. They were loads of fun to read!

+ Reply to Thread