+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: News Articles About "ROCK STAR": Post Here!!!

" Arrogant Canadian"...isn't that an oxymoron?
    Out. for. a. walk... Bitch.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    Ah, you arrogant Canadians, what the hell are we going to do with you? LOL!

(just kidding. I'm not Canadian and I was offended. Well, what do you expect from us Obnoxious Americans?)
    Yeah, the article OS posted by the Malaysian writer was way better and more interesting than the one I posted. I LOVE reading the stories from Europe, Asia, Australia...it's interesting to see how the world views them. Thanks OS!

"Arrogant Canadian"
    "Ugly American"

We've all got our labels to deal with!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    Ah, you arrogant Canadians, what the hell are we going to do with you? LOL!

(just kidding. I'm not Canadian and I was offended. Well, what do you expect from us Obnoxious Americans?)
    I think we we're sick of being considered boring.

giz
    Thanks for posting those. I was curious about the first article. Where was that from? When they said an American guy got up on stage for the rapping, I thought, "well, what else is he likely to be, in L.A.". Not that it's not an international city,but it sounded wierd. Also, I liked that they had JD as being from "Oakville, which is just outside of Nova Scotia". If just outside is nearly 1000 miles, then,yup, it's just outside. I'm not kvetching, they just tickled my funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    Thanks for posting those. I was curious about the first article. Where was that from? When they said an American guy got up on stage for the rapping, I thought, "well, what else is he likely to be, in L.A.". Not that it's not an international city,but it sounded wierd. Also, I liked that they had JD as being from "Oakville, which is just outside of Nova Scotia". If just outside is nearly 1000 miles, then,yup, it's just outside. I'm not kvetching, they just tickled my funnybone.
    Hey Giz, I think that article is from Malyasia since the paper is called (I think) the Malay Mail. RE: Oakville being just outside of Nova Scotia...I think that's like my cousin telling people (when she lived overseas) she was from Chicago when she's actually from a small town in Wisconsin. She figured no one would know the Wisconsin town but most people would have at least heard of Chicago. I'm sure they were trying to put it in perspective to the rest of the world who wouldn't know what Oakville was. That is funny though...1,000 miles...

Damn! J.D. was the only arrogant Canadian we had, and now he's gone! What the heck are we gonna do?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

giz
    I see your point Lois, but no-one outside of Canada knows where Nova Scotia is. There's a vague possibility people might know where Toronto is, and that is right next to Oakville (relatively speaking).

Gawd, could I love him any more?!

Thursday, September 22, 2005
    Back
    The Halifax Herald Limited

http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2005.../f148.raw.html

'We knew he was the best'
    Pictou County basks in Fortune's new fame

By MONICA GRAHAM

NEW GLASGOW From Fibber's finest to INXS frontman in less than four months: Pictou County is reeling from local boy J.D. Fortune's good fortune.

Fibber's Bar bartender Stephen Chaisson called it "surreal" that Fortune who less than four months ago hung out daily at the pub, recited lyrics for customers, played guitar at house parties and performed on Wednesday nights and weekends is now the lead singer for internationally famous rock band INXS.

"It's quite wild," he said. "In the backs of our heads, we knew he was the best. But whether he was going to win was a different thing."

Viewers' ballots determined which contestants were nominated for early dismissal from the CBS reality series, Rock Star: INXS, but INXS had the final decision on who stayed.

Fibber's, which serves a Pretty Vegas drink named after the song Fortune wrote and performed in the competition, was a favourite venue for the show's winner during the spring but his roots go even deeper.

"He was Jason Bennison while he was here," said Lee Sibille, cafeteria manager at Salt Springs Elementary where Fortune went to school during the 1980s. She remembers the new INXS singer liked mini-pizzas and cinnamon rolls for lunch.

Sibille said she was not surprised that Fortune won the televised talent contest, recalling that young Jason was involved in the school's drama and musical productions.

"He was the first one to volunteer for anything like that," she said. "He was really cute, and the girls just loved him. He was very popular and got along with everybody. He was never shy about being out front, but he wasn't loud or obnoxious. There wasn't anything not to like about him."

Jason and his little sister arrived at the school mid-year when he was in Grade 5 or 6, and "fit right in," Sibille said, adding that she hopes he returns for the school's 25th anniversary on Oct. 6.

He might. Fortune has said he will perform in Pictou County, where he lived as a teenager and performed at school concerts and talent shows before moving to Ontario and then to Las Vegas, where he performed as an Elvis impersonator.

"He promised he'd bring INXS here," Chaisson said. It's no wonder you could hear a pin drop in Fibber's Bar on Tuesday night in the minutes before Fortune won.

"When they announced his name, the place just blew up," Chaisson recalled. Nearly 200 people sat on pool tables and window ledges to get as close as they could to the New Glasgow bar's 12-foot TV screen to watch the finale.

Other Rock Star watch parties went on Tuesday night in Diamond Jim's in Westville, at Summer Street Industries in New Glasgow and at many private homes.

"It gave me goosebumps when he won," said Tara MacRae, who watched the show at her Pictou home. "We all jumped up and screamed."

Karly Benoit, who might be Fortune's youngest fan, had no doubt her favourite would win.

"He sings on TV, for me," the bespectacled little girl said Wednesday as she gazed at Fortune's school photo at Salt Springs Elementary, where she is a Primary student.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    I see your point Lois, but no-one outside of Canada knows where Nova Scotia is. There's a vague possibility people might know where Toronto is, and that is right next to Oakville (relatively speaking).
    Hey, most of my friends (Americans and Europeans) know where Nova Scotia is--I even dated a guy who was born there! Never been there, but the salmon is supposed to be out of this world. (Is that true?). We also know where Vancouver and Montreal are! Maybe we're the exceptions?
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 09-28-2005 at 04:48 PM.

I LOVE this article! Not only does it give a little clue as to what happened with the boys after they picked JD, backstage, but it also shows JD's sense of humor and gives some background into writing PV. The nicest thing, for me, is to see how much Andrew seems to like JD. I always felt like Andrew was JDs biggest critic on the show.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/151...headlines=true

INXS Insist Finding J.D. Was An 'Organic' Process, Think 'Angels Got Together'

09.28.2005 11:58 AM EDT

J.D. Fortune says winning 'Rock Star' was best moment of his life.

LOS ANGELES The night INXS named J.D. Fortune their new singer, it was raining in Los Angeles for the first time in months. Drummer Jon Farriss instantly thought back to a day in Sydney, Australia, eight years ago when it rained for the first time in just as long. It was the day of the funeral of Michael Hutchence, INXS' original singer.

"I think there's something a little spiritual and beyond the realms of what's happening in front of us that's at play here," Farriss said Monday during a break from recording with Fortune at the famed Westlake Studios. "There are a few angels who got together and are hanging out, I think."

When INXS decided to replace Hutchence, who was found dead on November 22, 1997 (see "Hutchence Death Ruled Suicide Under The Influence of Drugs And Alcohol"), through a reality show, longtime fans were far from thrilled. So perhaps they can take some solace in the words Farriss uses to describe the discovery of Fortune through "Rock Star: INXS," which include "magical," "organic" and "100 percent the way it was supposed to be."

In fact, the highlight of the entire process for both parties had absolutely nothing to do with show producer Mark Burnett ("Survivor," "The Apprentice") and his cameras (see "INXS Rebuilding 'Family' With Televised 'Rock Star' Audition").

"As soon as J.D. was announced the winner, we played a couple of tunes on the CBS set and the minute we got off the stage we took J.D. into a room and popped some champagne and we locked the door," Farriss said of the festivities on September 21. "It was the first time we had a chance to just be alone and everyone was like knocking on the door, 'Let us in.' Like, 'No, this is our time, we're a band now.' We were just all hugging in a group saying, 'Yeah!' "

"That was the best moment in my life," said Fortune, whose smile from that night seems as permanent as his tattoos. "The energy was f---ing awesome, man."

On the show, Fortune sparked controversy early when he told INXS he was the only contestant of the 15 who already knew all their songs, and then throughout the season constantly reminded everyone he was there for no other reason than to become the lead singer of INXS. Since he dropped out of high school to join a rock band, he's gone from a '50s and '60s tribute act to being an Elvis impersonator in Las Vegas, but he insists INXS have always been his favorite band.

"If this was [to join] any other band, if this was competing for 10 bajillion dollars on an island somewhere, there's no way I would do it," Fortune said. "That reality TV show was the hardest experience of my life because I had to really confront myself, but if they asked me, I'd do it a thousand times over to show them how badly I want to be a member of INXS. And I just followed my heart, and a true heart never needs to make an excuse for what it does, 'cause it's true."

Farriss echoed his new singer when the conversation turned to their new album and he was asked if INXS were trying to reclaim the dance-rock sound from bands like the Killers and the Bravery.

"We're not trying to do anything, we're just being who we are," he said, explaining that the band's signature "edgy rock tracks with pretty melodies" will be prevalent.

Hoping to ride some momentum from "Rock Star," INXS set a November 29 release date for the album, titled Switch.

"Andrew [Farriss] and Garry [Beers] and myself have been collaborating with other artists to just have a huge pool of songs ready," said Jon, name-checking producer Guy Chambers (Robbie Williams, Nick Lachey). "We weren't sure if [our new singer] was going to be a woman or a man, so some of the keys were written around a lady's voice and some keys were written around a guy's voice. And we just sat there madly pulling songs and J.D. goes, 'I like this one, this one's great.' Obviously it's really important that J.D.'s involved."

J.D.'s also been writing with the band on tracks that might still make the cut, and the first single is the tune he wrote on the show to INXS' music, called "Pretty Vegas."

"That song reminds me of when I was in Toronto and I was driving this really crappy car and I pulled up [to a stoplight] and there's a guy that pulled up in a brand new Mustang. I was looking at his car and I'm like, 'Wow, that's really nice,' and he couldn't even look at me," J.D. explained. "And then this guy pulled up in a brand new Ferrari right next to the Mustang and that was like the one-up from him. ... Basically, there's always a bigger fish, so just be happy with my car and let's get to the next light."

INXS are shooting a video for the song in Los Angeles this week.

"We haven't initiated [him] yet ... so J.D.'s gonna jump out of a few planes," Farriss joked.

"Not dressed as Elvis, though," the singer replied.

Corey Moss

+ Reply to Thread