+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who Watches the Show? Plus my two cents

Who Watches the Show? Plus my two cents

Hi Everyone!

I am just curious what are the demographics of the audience for RS:INXS.
    I am a high school teacher in Central PA with a school population a little over 400 students. Of the 120 students that I see, I did a little poll to see who is watching. Less than 10 kids have heard of the show and from that number less than 5 have actually seen an episode. The only person I have to talk to about the show is another teacher in her mid-forties-I am 32.

So I am wondering, is INXS trying to regain their past success with the under 21 demographic or are they reaching back out to their original fans? Because that might have a lot to do with who they select.

If they are looking to capture a younger audience, I think their best choice would be Marty, even though he is alot older than JD, he seems to fit what is selling now. JD and Mig, while enjoyable to watch (most times) are really kind of cheesy. They both seem to be trying too hard. Marty seems the most honest performer of the remaining three. And he is extremely fascinating to watch.

However, I sincerely think winning would hurt Marty more than help him. I do not know what type of band he fronts, but I would think he would have better luck staying with them. I love "Trees" and if the rest of his music sounds like that, that is where he should stay.

At this point, I am personally rooting for Mig.

Mig seems to really enjoy the music and is so respectful and appreciative of the experience. He's also extremely good looking with a fun quality. He seems like he fits in with the guys, listens and answers from the heart. How easy would he be to tour with?!

I can't really get into JD, he seems too "slick" and insincere. Plus he always starts on a bad note and then I cannot get over that for the rest of the song. I would love to hear his "own" voice, he seems an imitator to me.

No one can match the inherent sexiness of Michael (slightly dark, just enough to get your attention, but not too much for the teenage crowd), so they shouldn't look for a pale imitation. Don't try to recapture what you had, you can't! Just be honest to what works for you know, especially with the view they seem to have of where they want to be now. It sounds like they want to be on equal footing with their new lead singer. Marty and JD wouldn't do that for them. I think Mig would be more than willing to share the spotlight.

FYI, I'm an overweight, middle-aged office drone and friend of the environment, but I'm married to a musician. I've been watching religiously and pulling Mr. Rattus into the living room for the more interesting parts of the show (plus he can hear them singing while he's doing the dishes). We are both of a mind that Marty is the best of the group, but agree with you that INXS may not be the place for him. We both think that "Trees" is the better song (been stuck in my head for a couple of days) - "Pretty Vegas" is a more commonplace jam-session type of riff, the sort of thing you do when you're warming up or having drunk fun in the basement and can't remember for the life of you afterward (I tried to hum it immediately after hearing it, but couldn't remember the tune). Also, neither of us like J.D.'s voice (and I was REALLY prepared to love him, being Canadian and all) or stage presence. I find it them too contrived and theatrically pseudo-rocky (and apropos of nothing, really don't find him attractive). MiG is great at what he does, but what he does is Popstar rather than Rockstar.

So what I guess I'm saying is, I would really like Marty to win, but I think it would hurt him in the long run, so maybe I don't want him to win. I'm so confused.

And that's my two cents.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus
    So what I guess I'm saying is, I would really like Marty to win, but I think it would hurt him in the long run, so maybe I don't want him to win. I'm so confused.
    Sounds like my dilemna with Bo on AI...I wanted him to win but knew it would hurt him in the long run so I'd cheer and vote like mad for him and then was hoping he wouldn't win....these reality shows really know how to get your thoughts and feelings in knots, don't they?

My opinion is love MiG and Marty-don't really want either of them to win (tho I'd love to see their reactions to winning!)...JD is a better "fit" for INXS...I think he would be more appreciative, his stage performance would carry over to the larger arenas, the badass appeal would go over well with the ladies and he's not too much of a pretty boy for the guys to rake him over the coals. I like JD alot but I love MiG and Marty! I would go see any of them perform and will definitely bust my butt to go see them on tour with the rest of the Rockstar performers!!!
    (For what its worth, I'm also a overweight middle age secretary who only dreamed of being married to a musician...or at least dreamed of sleeping with a few of 'em....tho not necessarily at the same time...!)
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kimrs
    Hi Everyone!

I am just curious what are the demographics of the audience for RS:INXS.
    I am a high school teacher in Central PA with a school population a little over 400 students. Of the 120 students that I see, I did a little poll to see who is watching. Less than 10 kids have heard of the show and from that number less than 5 have actually seen an episode.
    That's what I would expect. Remember, a 15 year old high schooler was born in 1990 (... man that makes me feel old). How many here would have watched/cared about a show looking for the new lead singer for a band that was at their peak a year or two before you were BORN?

Me: 28 (29 next Thursday) somewhat overweight male web developer

So, do you think that they are trying to recapture their original audiences or trying to get the young 'uns?

I would rather see Marty or Mig, just because I like them the best.

And I definitely think Marty would bring in the younger generation.

I am curious, because I could see this end with any one of the three winning for any number of reasons.

ARGHH!

FORT Regular
    I think they WANT both. They want to pack stadiums again, they want to be #1 on the charts again, and they want all of their old fans to return with a new fan base just as large... What they're most likely to get is primarily their old fan base looking to hear the classics in concert. I don't believe most of the younger crowd is going to connect with them. It is entirely possible that they have another big powerful song ready for the new album, but to me, of the bits and pieces of new stuff we've heard on the show nothing has blown me away.

I'm kind of thinking about Backstreet Boys, without the show.
    They finally get together again, have one moderate hit on the radio, sell a decent number of records, but no where near their numbers from the 90's (or in INXS's case 70-80-90's).

FORT Fan
    I'll throw my hat in..

I'm 19, male, a college student. I don't care much for INXS, and have been watching just for the free concert on my television.. I haven't voted since week two. I normally listen to "new rock" (that's what our radio station calls it!), music in the vein of what Marty usually picked. From my perspective, I can tell you that I wouldn't buy an INXS cd with any of the three. I don't see a compromise working for either demographic. Picking Marty and meeting halfway would flop, I think.

If they wanna gamble, they'll go for Marty and change their style a lot. If they just want decent sales on an album or two they will take JD. I see Mig as the longer-term "safe" choice.

42, semi-retired designer. Like all things new and old. This band needs to reintroduce itself (smart move doing this show), they cannot rest on their laurels. Marty's the guy to take them forward. They need his energy/charisma to make them relevant to todays music listening audience and they need someone who will fit within the tight-knit team that they are. Marty has shown he's smart (and his education is relevant, this IS a business), that he's humble (he listens, applies and learns/grows) and that he has something to offer as a contributing member. Generally the lead is the front man for a band and he would do them well in that role.

FORT Regular
    Me:
    - middle aged
    - female
    - married
    - mother
    - part time worker in health care
    - Canadian

Marty!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast