+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Who Watches the Show? Plus my two cents

Here are my stats:
    - 39 year old elementary school teacher (former corporate lawyer)
    - married for 12 years
    - no kids (two cats!)
    - husband is a sound effects editor, 40
    - moderately into INXS in the 80's (purchased KICK but not their other albums)

We both love, love, love this show. In fact, it has spoiled us for Canadian Idol and American Idol because the talent and production quality are so superior. Every show feels like a live concert, especially over the course of the last few weeks where they have really narrowed it down to the best performers.

As for the contestants, we think Mig is a great person and a wonderful stage performer, but he lacks that "bad boy" quality that seems to go hand in hand with a rock band. His elfin face just does not, in our opinion, go well with his striptease act and pleather pants!! I would love to have him as a house guest or a pen pal, but not as the lead singer for INXS.

I have to agree with many of you who feel that winning this thing would actually be detrimental to Marty's career. I think he has the talent to front INXS, I just don't see his musical and performance style as the right fit for the band. He could do better by using the exposure he has gotten from this show to launch his old band's career. I'm sure he will have many offers after Wednesday if he does not win.

Being proud Canadians, it was nice to see two of our own in the top 4. Suzie certainly proved that women can sing rock and she had a nice rapport with the house band. I'm actually surprised that they didn't keep her around for the finale. She made an interesting contrast to the boys. JD has grown on us the past few weeks (we liked him at the beginning but felt he started to slide after We are the Champions). His performance skills are excellent - he really pulls in the audience. He has natural charisma and we can't wait to see what he will do with his performance next. He also clearly loves INXS music and has great songwriting skills.

All in all, our votes would go to JD.

Here's me:

30 something
    Senior Performance Consultant for a mortgage company
    Live in the OC (Laguna Hills, CA)
    Married
    No children
    Two Akita's (my babies!)
    Raise saltwater fish
    INXS was the very first concert that I ever went to.
    Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy the journey!

I'm a 50 year old middle school teacher in a well to do upstate NY suburb. Definitely a rock fan.

Here's my story: I was doing a poll for a poll for a math problem with my 7th grade class and I asked what kind of music they listened to. They laughed when I said rock. I was taken aback. They told me rock was for old people and they listen to rap. After I gagged, I asked, "Does anyone here watch Rock Star: INXS?" The common answer was, "No, but my parents do." Feeling old for just turning 50, I did not need to hear that! LOL

My point- The best bet for INXS to have future success is to recapture the audience they once had. Marty would take them in a new direction, but is it a direction they want to go in? They need to be realistic about their audience. I know they're not after the 12 year old market, but these kids buy lots of music.

I'm generalizing, of course. But it does make me think...

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...
    48-year old mother of two daughters, 27 and 22. Recently married to 45-year old, who also watches the show. I'm a singer (primarily rock and blues) and a computer programmer turned domestic goddess. He's a construction worker.

Liked INXS when they were hot, but they weren't my favorite. Owned a couple of their albums. I think all of the final three are talented, but can't really see any of them fronting this band. Of the three I like Marty best, but I'm not sure winning would be the best for him musically. My husband thinks Marty will win.

I've sung in bands, and would not have enjoyed working with someone as drama-inducing as JD. It's hard enough to keep a band working together without that kind of distraction. Of the three, he may be the best performer, but he is the least talented vocally.

MiG is talented, but comes off too "poppy" for a rock band. Even so, he might be the best choice of the three - I'm thinking because he is so nice that he might also be the most malleable.

Either way, I have enjoyed this show immensely. I don't watch much reality TV, but enjoy the singing competitions. I'm gonna miss this one!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    We Canadians love our good reality tv. I think Survivor and Amazing Race both do extremely well in the ratings up here. Now if they would only let us compete?
    Canadian Idol is to top Canadian-made show in Canadian history. RS did outdo the Wednesday elimination show once.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres

MiG is talented, but comes off too "poppy" for a rock band. Even so, he might be the best choice of the three - I'm thinking because he is so nice that he might also be the most malleable.
    Migs used to taking stage direction from the shows he's been in, so he will not get his back up if INXS gives him instrutions to follow. Probably why he is the most malleable.

I don't think Marty or JD will be that willing to blindly follow their lead but will expect to have their own input.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    Migs used to taking stage direction from the shows he's been in, so he will not get his back up if INXS gives him instrutions to follow. Probably why he is the most malleable.

I don't think Marty or JD will be that willing to blindly follow their lead but will expect to have their own input.
    Ironically, I think that JD is the most malleable where INXS is concerned because he worships them. If it had been a different band he may be more like Marty, wanting to determine a new direction and change their style. I think JD is more afraid of offending them.
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456