+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who Watches the Show? Plus my two cents

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    Hi all,

I'm a 33 yr old Administrator from the good old city of Edmonton. I've loved INXS ever since I was a teenager. I have Kick & X on CD and listen to them all the time. I had a huge crush on Michael back then and when they performed in Edmonton back in 1990 or 1991 can't remember which year I was 6th row on the floor and he was so gorgeous up close. Very good memories.

I've only been able to watch a couple of episodes of this show because I don't have cable at home but JD is by far the best fit with INXS. The first time he performed "Pretty Vegas" was awesome - that also was the first episode I got to see on TV. I've always missed seeing Marty perform and the 2nd show I got to see he didn't say a word - that was the encore show where JD sang "Pretty Vegas" again, I enjoyed it just as much the 2nd time around. The only time I've heard Marty sing was one the radio stations here played a 15 sec. clip of "Trees" and I thought he sounded horrible. MiG didn't impress me very much either. He looks like a skinny Iggy Pop clone - not very attractive. Didn't much like his original song either, I can't even remember the name of it.

JD all the way for me.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

Greetings Bubba-Jo-Lyn.

You're the second Edmontonian I've seen on this site in the past couple of days. I'm a former Edmontonian. Great city!

Quote Originally Posted by chico4158
    this is a fun thread

side note: listening to my old INXS cds last night in the car and call me crazy, but on many of the songs i think that marty sounds more like MH than jd. jd has way too much vibrato - MH didn't have that much and he sort of did that some articulation thing that marty does (from This Time - "we are always wantin' - like the articulating on the wantin' part - )
    MH clearly had a much stronger singing voice than marty, but the quality (i think that's the word) of his voice is more similar to marty than jd - IMHO.
    sorry for the tangent -
    Thank you! I've been listening to Greatest Hits especially (since that is where all the Bottom Three come from) and I think JD is much deeper and has different inflections that MH. I sometimes feel guilty now when I like a JD version a little better since I like the deeper tones....
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

It's funny how many of us are 30-40 year old computer nerds. Go engineers!

Unfortunately for the show, we aren't exactly the demographic that marketers pant after. But I've loved every minute of the show (and this forum), and will be genuinely sad that it's over (and that we'll all scatter).
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

This is a great idea for a thread! I was wondering the same thing too. I'm a 34 year old project coordinator from Toronto. I've been watching this show since day 1 and I'm going to be sad to see it end. I'm amazed at how many people I know that are watching this show, from many different walks of life. I was a huge INXS fan in the 80s but haven't really followed them lately. I started watching the show because of the talent of these performers. Although I have my favourite (go JD!!), I've really enjoyed watching all of them. I'm not sure if I'd buy a new INXS album, I guess it depends on who wins (go JD!!).
    "I'm very tired of thinking. It doesn't seem to help very much."
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

The show is actually doing quite well in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by 101ethan
    The show is actually doing quite well in Canada.
    We Canadians love our good reality tv. I think Survivor and Amazing Race both do extremely well in the ratings up here. Now if they would only let us compete?

FORT Fan
    35 year old male. Military officer. Wife also watches, who is 33 stay at home mom who does web site design in her "spare" time. Have 3 kids, 5 1/2, 4, 1 1/2.

We were both INXS fans in the 80's, although my wife was probably a bigger fan than I. Haven't really listened to them since then, but am curious to see what they'd be like now. Their music aside, this show rocks. I hope Burnett can come up with another season of this.

Quote Originally Posted by PurrpleCat
    I sometimes feel guilty now when I like a JD version a little better since I like the deeper tones....
    I'm glad you admitted this first Purrple! I looked up the original version of By My Side after I heard JD sing it because I liked it so much - I ended up liking JD's version more - ah, the guilt

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar
    It's funny how many of us are 30-40 year old computer nerds. Go engineers!
    for compter nerds!! ::pats self on back::

Hello Purrple Cat ...good to see a fellow (former) Kansan on the boards...

OK, my stats...will be 35 next month (Good God, is that possible??!! Wasn't I just turning 21?) Female, fan of OB:INXS since the Shabooh Shabah days (even still have an ancient copy of "The Swing" on vinyl laying about the house). Have to admit, was a little skeptical when I sat down to watch the first episode-had to do it out of curiosity because I was such a fan, but really dreading what I was going to see. Was pleasantly surprised at the talent, but I don't think we will be seeing INXS at the top of the charts again because of the show. Would be happy to see any of the F3 win, but even more so, would love to see them all in solo careers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast