+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who Watches the Show? Plus my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by Mertii
    Marty-I would love to see front Nirvana or start his own band. I think he has talent, but not suited for the band style of INXS. The band didn't seem that happy with him during the interview portion (another reason they let Suzie go). They saw Marty's controlling side. In a band that has been together for years, this will be a huge problem.
    Marty has shown his (non) 'controlling' side in the song writing clinic when he had the lead. JD took off to do his own thing and Marty showed that, while he can lead, he does not dominate. The impression left is that of a mature fellow who expects everyone to operate with the same agenda.

The band has stated in their blogs that they find Marty smart, confident and humble. Emphasis on humble here. The 'controlling' aspect that the shows editors focused on is important, but not for the reasons some people are reading into it. Marty has a proven track record (he is in a successful band that opens for big names), he would need to fit personally and offer something creatively. He has demonstrated consistently that he listens to the bands advice and takes it. This is not the behaviour of a controlling person. This exhibits a desire to learn and grow.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGills
    Marty has a proven track record (he is in a successful band that opens for big names),
    This makes me think that to win the show would be a big step backwards for Marty. He is my favorite performer and I would actually hate to see him win. I think the exposure is more important than the win to him at this time. Especially because he has taken everything the band has said so seriously. He seems to be treating this like a learning experience as much, if not more than, an audition.

I'm a 40's professional Canadian mom to two little boys.

Musically I was really into music during the INXS heyday. I know a lot about pretty much every act that sang at LiveAid but I know nothing about music after 1990. I hardly ever recognize the songs Marty picks but I love the way he sings them.

MiG would seem like more my type since I tend toward pop. I did like Michael Damian at one time lol. Maybe I like Marty because he's so smart and hardworking. I fell for him when he got stuck with 'Hit me Baby' and worked so hard to do it right.

I think INXS isn't doing well right now and if they want to do well they would be better moving into something new. I wouldn't complain if they picked JD though. The level of ability of these singers is amazing.

The official board had a really long thread on 'how old are Marty fans'. They were
    mostly in their 30's and 40s.

My Two Cents:

I'm 24 and have never owned a INXS record. And I'm not an INXS fan, but still watch the show. I like to see everyone else perform and I know most of the covers they sing. The songs the bottom 3 sing I do not know at all and havn't really liked any.

I only hope Marty wins cause he is my least favorite. JD is Canadian and maybe it would be better for his career to be the next lead singer since artists in Canada have it hard enough. And Mig doesn't have enough edge....he should make his own single with a softer feel...maybe with some rock.

If Marty wins there will be no way I'd ever consider buying a INXS record. If JD wins I'd see what the songs sounded like but still wouldn't buy a record. If Mig wins....ok whoever wins I'll never buy the record cause I think INXS sucks.

I'm a 28-year-old married woman from Michigan. I watch, but only on TiVo. Why? Well, I have to wake up at 5:15am so watching something at 10pm at night is stretching the limits of my humanity. I watch with hubby (who is a 29-year-old engineer).

I wonder if the late-night timing of the show does hurt some of the younger (and older for that matter) viewers.

FORT Newbie
    47 year-old delivery driver. I grew up with Classic Rock and never looked back. INXS was a few years after my time and too pop, I never got into them. I've gotten away from the scene, absolutely nobody I know now watches this show except my girlfriend, and show only watches it because I turn it on.

Of the finalists I like Marty best but think he's a bad match with INXS. I expect JD will win unless they're afraid of his personality.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin
    That's what I would expect. Remember, a 15 year old high schooler was born in 1990 (... man that makes me feel old). How many here would have watched/cared about a show looking for the new lead singer for a band that was at their peak a year or two before you were BORN?
    Actually my 14 year old high schooler watches the show with us. She didn't at first, but hearing songs by The Killers, Foo Fighters, etc., she has watched. But she also likes Pink Floyd and the Stones. We've exposed her to the "classics"

But she's probably the only one of her friends that watch it. The only other person I know where I live that watches it is 31. I'm 43. And the funny thing is, I wasn't really a fan of theirs in the 80's. I liked some of their songs, but have never owned an album. I LOVE this show tho because I HATED AI the couple of times I watched it. I don't like reality tv that makes me cringe and AI does that a lot.

Me:
    married
    domestic goddess
    listen to a wide variety of musical styles and artists.
    JD for me all the way!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by MRD; 09-15-2005 at 04:29 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm an almost 40, East coast American working girl, married (to a drummer, but that is not his day job...). I loved INXS back in the 80s as well as many of the other New Wave bands. Now I mainly listen to alternative rock (Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Weezer, Green Day and many non-major label artists). I think one reason I have taken such a liking to Marty is that he (almost) always picks my favorite song out of the bunch (OK there was that Creed song...) But aside from that I think he is a great musician and a very captivating performer.

However, at this point I think I want JD to win, for reasons others have mentioned in this thread (best fit, good stage presence).

I do wonder why more folks aren't watching this very entertaining show. I never watched AI, but i never liked the music they sang. I wonder if as someone else mentioned that the time it is on might be a factor?

Interesting thread!

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    Marty - Marty has been my number two favorite since the beginning of the show. I love his intensity when he sings, his sense of style, and I love Trees. He treats his fans so well. The first time I talked to him was after Lithuim and I was with his Mum and the fact that he spoke to me when he would only have about five seconds with his Mum speaks volumes. At the CD taping he was beyond sweet to me...beyond...and I will never forget that. If INXS wants someone that is intense on stage but a teddy bear for their fans they should go with Marty.
    Interestingly, that's a good description of how Michael was. He might be their best pick, after all. He looks nothing like MH, has his own distinctive sound, yet has the charisma and personality. Hmm.

ETA: I'm 39, retired computer engineer-turned-SAHM of three. I loved INXS in the early 80s - Shabooh Shoobah was an MTV staple, and I watched religiously. I wasn't as much of a fan in the 90s, but still appreciate their sound.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by especialk
    I do wonder why more folks aren't watching this very entertaining show. I never watched AI, but i never liked the music they sang. I wonder if as someone else mentioned that the time it is on might be a factor?

Interesting thread!
    Most of the people I know who watch AI would hate the music on RS (eg my 70 yr old MIL). The guys at work watch the show though.

Supposedly it's been top 10 in Toronto and Vancouver for a long time and moved up in Canada even faster than it did in the U.S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast