+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Controversy surrounding MiG's Marine (?) Jacket

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

The Controversy surrounding MiG's Marine (?) Jacket

Hey all, what was your opinion on MiG wearing what some people are saying is an official Marine jacket? (Others are saying it's a costume of a Marine jacket.) On the msn web site, a lot of people were incensed and angry--the kind of angry people were over Ty's comments about getting booted from the contest 'cause he's black. It's quite ugly actually. Most of the negative comments seem to be directed at him for (a) throwing the jacket into the audience (after listening to Dave Navarro's suggestion) and (b) not having earned the right to wear a Marine's jacket.

I think wrestling with Suzie earned him the right to wear it personally...

JOKING! Do not flame me for that please.

Personally, I don't think he meant to wear it to offend the Marines or the U.S. (I didn't even know it was a military jacket). I don't even know if he picked it or if that durned Ellie Mae stylist lady did. (I remember he said the British military jacket he wore when he sang "Lola" was his own...)

I find it ironic that you can descrate the American flag and call it freedom of speech or hang up a mutilated flag and call it art. But that having a singer wear a jacket on a rock show is considered disrespectful.

However, though my family has served in the military, I never have. If there are any vets out there, I'd be very interested in hearing your opinions.

And please note that while I often write in jest, I mean no offense and hope none is taken.

I don't think he meant it to be offensive and I didn't take it as an offense.

The only thing I found offensive about it is that it was obscuring my view of his hot body.

MRD
    I went back and re-watched the performance. Number one, the jacket is BLACK, not blue which is what the Marines wear. It did have Marine insignia on it tho.
    However, I do not think he wore it intentionally to disrespect anyone.

My dh was Army and he says people wear camoflauge ALL THE TIME and no one ever says that is disrespectful to the Army who it was originally designed for. He also was in combat and he says in no way did he feel what Mig wore did anything to denigrate the US or our soldiers who are fighting in Iraq.

Hey, I look at it this way, at least no one spit on it like they did during Vietnam.

And here's my other take:. On those MSN boards they are saying Mig did not EARN the right to wear it. Well, let me ask this, did Jack Nicholson earn the right to wear the Marine uniform in "A Few Good Men"? He wasn't a Marine. He was a paid actor. There have been hundreds of movies made about the military and war and those actors all wore uniforms. Did that disrespect the soldiers?

I think its a tempest in a teapot. Get over it. No one seems to mind that JD wore a shirt with a bad curse word on it.

In the US, our consitution gives us teh right to freedom of speech. That extends to what we wear. You may not like it, but we are free to do it and that is one of the things that makes this country great. We can wear a military jacket and not be thrown in jail because of it. We can criticize the President, we can burn the flag. May not be right morally or ethically, but it is legal. Many of us may not agree with it. But we are ALLOWED to do it. It's guaranteed. It was fought for.

Now move on. It was a jacket.
    Maybe he should just sing naked and then there wouldn't be a controversy! LOL! I'm sure JLuvs would agree with me on this one!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fan
    I'm active duty military (Air Force). The Marines are very prideful of their service (and rightfully so). There is no such thing as an ex-Marine. Maybe you've heard the expression, "once a Marine, always a Marine". To a Marine, their uniform is something earned, through much pain and sacrifice. (Have you ever seen "Boot Camp" on the Discovery channel - follows several recruits through Marine boot camp at Paris Island?). Perhaps, it is even more meaningful now that people are dying in Iraq wearing this uniform (well, not this particular dress uniform, but you get the idea). Having MiG wear this like that (to promote himself and look sexy) could be seen as disrespectful by some, I know I would have raised an eyebrow if he'd worn our uniform (but then, ours isn't as cool looking as the Marine uniform).

Having said that, it really didn't bother me. Performers have donned pieces of military style uniforms for years. Look at what the Village People did for the Navy (huge increase in enrollment). Life's too short to get worked up about every little antic people do.

FORT Regular
    In my view, it was just a jacket that you can get at any military surplus store. He didn't cover it in fake medals, there were no anti-war statements on it anywhere, and he didn't march onto stage or salute. I personally wasn't offended since I've never served, but I can see how some enlisted/retired military might be. I work for a military contractor and most of my coworkers are retired military. One of them, a recent retiree, remarked after coming out of a meeting how angry he was that no one in civilian clothes showed respect for an officer who was there. No one stood up, no one saluted, and everyone threw in their own ideas of how a project should be handled, rather than "yes, sir" to everything the officer suggested. Not everyone is that sensative, but there are plenty who are.

As far as your comment about desecrating/burning a flag, it IS considered extremely disrespectful, which is why you've heard about it. It's the same thing as that guy (forget his name) who submerged a crucifix in a jar of urine and called it art. It gets publicity because it is shocking, not because there is talent behind it.

Looking under rocks for some excitement.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    Now move on. It was a jacket.
    Bingo

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin
    One of them, a recent retiree, remarked after coming out of a meeting how angry he was that no one in civilian clothes showed respect for an officer who was there. No one stood up, no one saluted, and everyone threw in their own ideas of how a project should be handled, rather than "yes, sir" to everything the officer suggested.
    As far as your comment about desecrating/burning a flag, it IS considered extremely disrespectful, which is why you've heard about it. It's the same thing as that guy (forget his name) who submerged a crucifix in a jar of urine and called it art. It gets publicity because it is shocking, not because there is talent behind it.
    Civilians are not required to salute or stand or say yes sir.

As for the flag thing. I didn't say I was for it or would do it. But as Americans we are allowed to do it without consequence. I think it's disrespectful. But the laws give us a RIGHT to do it. That is what differs from us and say, a country like Iraq or Iran or Afganistan. We can speak out. We can demonstrate, we can wear a uniform or burn the flag. It's ok here. It may piss people off, but the government isn't going to show up on your doorstep at 2 a.m. and disappear you for it.

MRD
    I have to add this. A few weeks ago, Mig wore a Rosary around his neck. I noticed Dave Navarro has also worn one.

I would think this would be offensive to Catholics. I am not Catholic, but I have several friends that are and most of them say, that the Rosary is not a necklace to be worn and that they keep theirs either in pockets or special holders and would never wear it.

Also Mig wore dog tags in one performance a few weeks ago. Is that wrong too? Dog tags are primarily used to identify the dead on the battlefield. I would think that wearing that would be way more disrespectful than part of a uniform.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    Civilians are not required to salute or stand or say yes sir.

As for the flag thing. I didn't say I was for it or would do it. But as Americans we are allowed to do it without consequence. I think it's disrespectful. But the laws give us a RIGHT to do it. That is what differs from us and say, a country like Iraq or Iran or Afganistan. We can speak out. We can demonstrate, we can wear a uniform or burn the flag. It's ok here. It may piss people off, but the government isn't going to show up on your doorstep at 2 a.m. and disappear you for it.
    Right, and I didn't mean for that to sound like an attack. I was actually refering to the thread starter's post. I started to reply when no one else had yet, but got sidetracked before actually posting, so it was further down the list.

I agree, civilians are not required to salute, etc, but in this guy's mind since almost everyone in the meeting was retired military, they still should have. I just meant it as an example of the type person that WOULD be offended.

Same thing with my flag comment. Just because someone calls it art, doesn't mean it isn't disrespectful. I actually went to that "urine" artist's exhibit back in college and that was one of his more tame pieces. there was a big uproar over him because he received one of the few national art scholarships that year for what most concidered pure shock art and not much talent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast