+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Controversy surrounding MiG's Marine (?) Jacket

[QUOTE=giz]I think too, that we've got to remember he's Aussie and maybe didn't realise that a fair number of Americans are sensitive about these things. [QUOTE]

Exactly - I don't anyone outside the U.S. would have any concept of that. MiG wears military type stuff all the time - kindof Sgt. Pepper more than the Marines.

Hi all. First post in this forum ... but I do watch the show.

I noticed that Marine patch/insignia ... I think it was rank insignia and I recognized the crimson & Gold color. I looked for the Marine Corps emblem ... the Eagle , Globe and Anchor elsewhere on the jacket and didn't see one. My impression was that perhaps he knew a Marine, or a Marine had given him that patch and he was wearing it not disrespectfully ... but more in honor of an individual Marine or the Corps ... as I do.

Marine Corps T-shirts, pins, jackets, etc ... are worn by many friends family and fans of the Marine Corps. It was no more disrespectful than all of the many who wear/wore NYC, NYFD, NYPD on caps, shirts etc. in remembrance of 9/11.

'nuff said.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by echo226
    Hi all. First post in this forum ... but I do watch the show.

I noticed that Marine patch/insignia ... I think it was rank insignia and I recognized the crimson & Gold color. I looked for the Marine Corps emblem ... the Eagle , Globe and Anchor elsewhere on the jacket and didn't see one. My impression was that perhaps he knew a Marine, or a Marine had given him that patch and he was wearing it not disrespectfully ... but more in honor of an individual Marine or the Corps ... as I do.

Marine Corps T-shirts, pins, jackets, etc ... are worn by many friends family and fans of the Marine Corps. It was no more disrespectful than all of the many who wear/wore NYC, NYFD, NYPD on caps, shirts etc. in remembrance of 9/11.

'nuff said.
    A friend of mine in California said you can find practically any of the various branches uniforms in pawn shops, thrift stores, etc. Seems that some soldiers when leaving the military get rid of this stuff any way they can.
    That said my dh said that it is only illegal to wear the uniforms to "impersonate" a soldier. But the way Mig wore it, he wasn't impersonating a marine. Still his jacket was black. The Marine dress jacket is blue. This was probaly from a costume shop or vintage clothing store that Ellie Mae the stylist picked up for him.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I think the hue and cry over MiGs jacked is way overblown. He's obviously not trying to impersonate a military person, and he didn't appear to have made any obvious changes to the jacket to try to send some kind of a message. It's a St. Pepper kind of thing, and IMO not that big of a deal. There are a lot more pressing problems out there than MiGs marine jacket!

Personally I'd much rather see him in that jacket than those awful leather pants, any day!

You know, the minute I saw his jacket I was wondering if something would be said. Just some random thoughts on what was said above:

There's a difference between wearing memorablia of a branch of military or police/ fire department versus wearing a service jacket that contains a rank insignia. Wearing a dress uniform with rank insignia while not a member of said branch would be consider fraud. It's generally not enforced unless a poser is making claims about fraudulent service and using that uniform to advance his/ her self being.

A singer on stage wearing a uniform will get some ribbing and mutters under the breath of the die hards but there are bigger fish in the sea to catch. I think Mig was going for the British invasion look of the sixties where this type of kitschy look was popular. And heck, he looked good in it which was the only shining moment of his night (IMO).

Mig doesn't owe anyone an apology. Had his uniform top been used as a tribute or something purposely connected to the Marines, then yes, there might have been a storm brewing. But I think it should just be chalked up as a fun wardrobe to enhance his song selection...even if he did sound more like David Cassidy than Mick Jagger
    Last edited by speedbump; 09-18-2005 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    You know, the minute I saw his jacket I was wondering if something would be said. Just some random thoughts on what was said above:

There's a difference between wearing memorablia of a branch of military or police/ fire department versus wearing a service jacket that contains a rank insignia. Wearing a dress uniform with rank insignia while not a member of said branch would be consider fraud. It's generally not enforced unless a poser is making claims about fraudulent service and using that uniform to advance his/ her self being.

A singer on stage wearing a uniform will get some ribbing and mutters under the breath of the die hards but there are bigger fish in the sea to catch. I think Mig was going for the British invasion look of the sixties where this type of kitschy look was popular. And heck, he looked good in it which was the only shining moment of his night (IMO).

Mig doesn't owe anyone an apology. Had his uniform top been used as a tribute or something purposely connected to the Marines, then yes, there might have been a storm brewing. But I think it should just be chalked up as a fun wardrobe to enhance his song selection...even if he did sound more like David Cassidy than Mick Jagger

See I thought it was obviously not a Marine "uniform" ... but just as you say, a fun jacket/wardrobe ... to which he added that patch, perhaps given to him by a Marine or a friend of a Marine. I am rather shocked that it has become "controversial".

As said, my reaction was positive as I attributed the patch to his having some Corps connection. And you never know, maybe it got him some votes from other USMC friends/family.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123