+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Controversy surrounding MiG's Marine (?) Jacket

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin
    there was a big uproar over him because he received one of the few national art scholarships that year for what most concidered pure shock art and not much talent.
    I remember that and thought the same thing about it being shock art. There are so many starving artists out there needing the scholarships and yet if you pee in a jar you get one.

Well, like I tell my daughter: Life is not fair. Fair is a place where you ride the carosel and get cotton candy.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin
    Right, and I didn't mean for that to sound like an attack. I was actually refering to the thread starter's post.
    Hey Javelin, that'd be me (the thread starter's post). I never said that it wasn't disrespectful to mutilate a flag etc. What I said was that I find it ironic that you can descrate the American flag and call it freedom of speech or hang up a mutilated flag and call it art. But that having a singer wear a jacket on a rock show is considered disrespectful.

That be me!

I didn't know it wasn't customary to wear rosary beads. I'm not Catholic but I'm guessing that Mig is (the majority of Filipinos are).

I remember a few years back, there was controversy about pop stars/celebs wearing those diamond encrusted crosses on their necks. It became a fashion statement. They slammed Madonna for wearing one (though she was a Catholic at the time--it was before she found Kabbalah).

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane

I remember a few years back, there was controversy about pop stars/celebs wearing those diamond encrusted crosses on their necks. It became a fashion statement. They slammed Madonna for wearing one (though she was a Catholic at the time--it was before she found Kabbalah).
    Well someone somewhere will always find fault with what others do.

It's human nature. Or maybe its "human beings, being human"

(sorry, am somewhat giddy today. Got some good news and am home all alone so my FORT friends are getting the brunt of my good mood. Sure it will all be gone by the time family gets home and will get blamed for being a sourpuss)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

giz
    I think too, that we've got to remember he's Aussie and maybe didn't realise that a fair number of Americans are sensitive about these things. I vaguely remember (as a very young and precocious child obviously) that there was a big hoo-ha about Abbie Hoffman wearing an American flag-patterned shirt,but no similar hoo-ha about American flag-patterned hot pants on Love American Style. I suspect MiG is the last person who would want to be disrespectful, and people should perhaps try to view it in the manner in which it was intended ("I think rock stars wear old uniforms, the BeeGees did it, and they are Australian superstars. Wearing this without a shirt will distract attention from me ruining Paint it Black.")

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by giz
    Wearing this without a shirt will distract attention from me ruining Paint it Black.")
    Ouch! But that comment is freaking hysterical! Hats off to you, Giz...

Some people just need to have something other better to do than complaint about small stuff like this. Many rockers have been wearing outrageus outfits before and how about song lyric, many rockers sing songs about not so great things about America. People just need to find a hobby or two instead of sweating stuff like this

That was a Marine jacket? I thought it looked like one of those jackets The Who wore in the 60's...or maybe part of Johnny Depp's costume from Pirates of the Caribbean.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I think he just plain looked hot- must we dog a man who just simply looked hot in a costume? Didn't we all worship at the altar of Kiss once? (us oldsters) I for one loved the "uniform". It's just a rocker attitude thing.
    Go Tigers!

I think it's silly that people kick up such a big stink over little stuff like that. Life goes on and as far as I know everyone who I told about it over here in Australia had no idea it was a marine's jacket.
    like totally freak me out i mean right on!

I think all this pseudo-controversy is leaked, by producers, as a method of gaining new viewers. Y'know, to get people to tune in who haven't seen the show but are always up for a good squabble?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast