+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/13 Performance Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Meanwhile, somebody needs to SMACK MiGgy and inform him that "Paint It Black" should not be sung in that peppy manner. It's a hard edgy song and he made it sound like puppies and kitties were involved. It was BOUNCY! Bad MiG! Bad! And THEN to tell people that the song was "so dark"? I laughed my ass off when he said that. His version wasn't. On the other hand, he does a good Seal impression.
    I totally agree. There was absolutely no edge to "Paint It Black" - ruined it for me. "Kiss From A Rose" was great, though.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Well, I am a MiG lover but I have to say that based on tonight's performances, JD and Marty did better than him. Suzie's 2nd song was better (and I agree with others that Jordis would have been awesome on that one!). JD is a performer....that's what I would pay my money for in a big stadium...Marty, I would pay to see also but I think he's better at a smaller venue to appreciate his stage presence. MiG, I would pay to see him just stand there with or without his shirt on!!!!!! No seriously, I would pay to see him perform but I think just like with Marty, probably could appreciate him more in a smaller venue (when I say smaller venue I mean bigger than a bar but smaller than Madison Square Garden!).
    I think INXS wants MiG to be in the bottom 3 so they can see him perform..I think that's why they kept harping on it so much...but did you see Suzie's face when they were telling MiG that they thought he might not be in the bottom 3 after that performance? She had a look on her face like "oh *FA Edit*..well that leaves me then!"
    Pretty Vegas and Trees...love 'em........2 of the best things that have come out of this show, in my opinion!
    And I have to admit, if I looked like Brooke Burke-I'd wear stuff like that too! She's got a killer body! And Dave... my son says he looks satanic but I think he looks hot!!!!! YOWZA!
    Last edited by Jewelsy; 09-14-2005 at 04:27 AM. Reason: language
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickie
    I don't have any strong feelings about JD but am I the only one who thinks "Pretty Vegas" is so horribly mediocre? I liked his Money performance except for, well, the hand gestures.
    I don't feel "Pretty Vegas" AT ALL. Seems I'm one of the few.

FORT Regular
    JD. He has gotten less annoying over the last few weeks, less twitchy movements, less creepy. Still not a fan, but I can see how some would like him, although maybe not rabidly. I don't even see the edginess, at least on stage - is the edgy talk coming from the fact that he lived in his car for a while and has tattoos? I mean, he was an Elvis impersonator, how edgy is that? To me, his voice is OK, not anything special. His looks are OK, not anything special. I personally don't find him sexy or attractive. His stage presence to me is OK, not anything special. His talent seems to lie in song writing and arranging, although I think his song is pretty poppy, not rock.

Marty. To me he is the only true "rocker" out of these four. Stage presence is great. Voice is OK, but who cares, when watching/listening to him perform, I never think, oh, his voice isn't that great, I'm just enjoying his performance. Song writing talent, check. Experience, check. Look, check. I don't find him "sexy" per se, attractive, yes, magnetic yes - that's enough for me and I can see how some do find him sexy (althugh thinking back I must admit that I started fooling around with DH while he was singing so . . . - I guess I don't find him sexy but his performance sure is and watching him makes me feel sexy). I think the reasons he has so many crossover fans (maybe with another fave but also liking him, not to say he doesn't have quite a few of his own fans) - is that objectively speaking, even if you have another fave or Marty isn't to your particular taste, you have to acknowledge his talent and that he already is a "rock star". I'd buy his stuff with INXS, and would be happy if he won, but sort of hope he comes in second because I'd like to see him hit it big with his own band not meeting anyone "halfway", and I think after this show he can.

Suzie - best voice technically, but I think even her voice, if you close your eyes, is missing that "spark". Looks, average - and big mistake with her hair, at least one week recently she should have been all blonde; she's not edgy enough to pull of that look. Stage presence, blah, she looks like normal person, not like a star up there. I think she's best suited for studio work or as a secondary singer on stage.

Mig. Voice - good, IMO second only to Suzie. Stage presence, good, but not up to par with Marty. He definitely is more poppy than rock, but INXS has always seemed more poppy than rock to me also. Sexy - oh, yeah.

My rankings.

Singing ability:
    1. Suzie
    2. Mig
    3. (tie) Marty/JD

Stage presence:
    1. Marty
    2. Mig
    3. JD
    4. Suzie

Songwriting:
    1. (tie, sort of) Marty/JD -edge to Marty because I believe he's had much more experience in this area, more of a track record
    2. (tie) Mig/Suzie

Look:
    1. Mig
    2. Marty
    3. JD
    4. Suzie

Stage presence:
    1. Marty
    2. Mig
    3. JD
    4. Suzie

Popularity (number of fans):
    1. Mig
    2. Marty
    3. JD
    4. Suzie

Success afterwords if they don't win:
    1. Marty - no doubt, as I said, IMO the only true rocker of the bunch
    2. Mig, at least in theater - I give him the edge here because he already had a successful career here and this exposure will just bolster it, possibly a modicum of success fronting a band
    3. (tie) JD - in songwriting/arranging, possibly a modicum of success fronting a band; Suzie - studio work or singing in a band with another singer with more charisma

ETA: Best for INXS success in the future:
    1. (tie) - risky/daring choice: Marty - would make INXS more exciting, bring them into the future; think INXS might actually bring him down, may be too much of a contrast, may be some conflicts re. leadership/direction; - safe choice: Mig, would blend easily with their pop rock sound, looks great on stage, sexy, wide fan base, easy to get along with
    2. JD
    3. Suzie - although I suppose they could take two singers, with Suzie being the second
    Last edited by jjj5; 09-14-2005 at 02:04 AM.

Suzie's first performance wasn't that bad, but it wasn't great either. Her second performance was awesome. I loved it! She had to 'hit both songs out of the ballpark' tonight, but she failed to do that with her first song, imo. I have a feeling she's going to be sacrificed tomorrow night.

JD's performance "Money" was magnificent. He sounded awesome, and I love how he interacts with the audience. It just seems so natural to him. Pretty Vegas was great too. I already love that song and have it in my collection.

Marty started okay with the song "Creep", but he had some rough spots especially with that scream close to the end of the song. That sounded painful. Didn't care for Trees this second time around. It's catchy all right, but not for the right reasons, imo. It sounds like one of those silly songs that can get on people's nerves within a week or two of listening on it on the radio.

Ugh...Mig used his "Let's play I'm a Rockstar" jacket again. Nothing like showing the his abs to get more votes. He was terrible with "Painted Black". It didn't sound dark at all. More like a Rainbows and Butterfly's version. His performance of "Kiss from a Rose" was a lot better.

I noticed how JD and Suzie's interaction with the crowd flowed very naturally from one song to the other.

My rankings on how I liked the performances:
    1. Money - JD
    2. Pretty Vegas - JD
    3. What's up - Suzie
    4. Creep - Marty
    5. Kiss from a Rose - Mig
    6. Interstate Love Song - Suzie
    7. Trees - Marty
    8. Painted Black - Mig

jjj5, I agree on all counts, except I find Marty the hottest, or at least the most presence.
    Go Tigers!

And Wolf, I like Mig's abs - use' em if ya got 'em!
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    Brooke makes me want to go exercise...
    You and I finally agree on something, dvm!
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    It's always embarrassing to see a woman in her 20's dress like a teenager.
    A woman in her 20s is a teenager! (At least from the persepctive of 30 )
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

FORT Newbie
    Suzie - i don't think that's going to cut it. though to be fair if there is any justice in this world mig will be cut for what he did to paint it black. i liked what's up, not so much on the stp song. Unless INXS what's to start singing power ballads and borderline show tunes I'm not sure she's the right girl for the job.

JD - loved money. have replayed it 2 x already. pretty vegas i liked, but i dunno, the one last week was better, i dunno maybe the song benefitted from comparison to his gutting of come as you are and suffered from comparison to Money. Anyway if a singer can do floyd justice, i'm a fan.

Marty - liked trees better acoustically, still kinda schticky to me, but it's got a certain bounce that i could see sticking with me on a long drive. did not like his version of creep, it lacked passion. I'm not sure marty can do passion without screaming about it.

Mig - what can i say, that was a train wreck for me. what he did to paint it black was unbearable. yeah i get he's pretty, has a wonderful voice, and has all of australia pulling for him, but really, he's got to go. he's too darned cheesy for words.

Encore - Money

Bottom 3 (My Opinion)
    Marty
    Suzie
    Mig

Bottom 3 (My Prediction)
    JD
    Mig
    Suzie

One thing's for sure, the finale's going to be one hell of a show.

+ Reply to Thread