+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock Star: INXS 9/11 Recap - Dear Abby: My Interview Skills Suck

Rock Star: INXS 9/11 Recap - Dear Abby: My Interview Skills Suck

And then there were four. Great things come in four, you know. The Beatles, Mt. Rushmore, leap year, Four Weddings and a Funeral. Alas, the goal is not to reach fourth place but rather to win it all. Welcome to tonight’s house show where we get to peek into the week of the contestant’s lives and gaze upon juicy bits of fodder until we get our fix on Tuesday night. Everyone comfy with your cheesy-poofs and slushies? Let’s get a move on then…

You Are The Wind Beneath My Wings
    It’s not exactly your typical uplifting night at the mansion, post show. There’s a lot of pondering and groveling intermixed with the jubilation of making it to the final four. Marty is particularly sad after this elimination since he and Jordis had become so close. Well, I’m pretty sure Jordis will be waiting in your Tree when the show ends. *wink wink*

The other’s are thoughtful as well. Mig is glad that Jordis will now be able to begin her life. *sigh* The cocoon has hatched. Time to fly away free. Suzie recalls all the times when Jordis reminded her not to cry on stage. It is then that she begins to cry herself. That bottom lip was quivering like an off balance washing machine during spin cycle. Suzie covers it up by saying she was crying because she never dreamt she would be this far.

Yet, the always humble JD had no concerns for Jordis. He is happy that he got to perform the encore and sing an INXS song. Well, I guess that’s one way to put a positive spin on things. Never mind that America thought you sucked enough to be in the bottom three. *note to self: remember to thank those who didn’t vote for him

Right about the time that Mig is attempting to feel guilty for never having been in the bottom three, Daddy Mack shows up (that would be Dave for those of you outside of the inner circle). Big D comments on how quiet the house is. Tomorrow is going to be a big day and he urges them to get some rest and to the dismay the rocker’s, there will be no beer bongs and pin-the-tail-on-JD‘s-ass tonight. Each of the contestants will be meeting with INXS one on one. This alone could be a deal breaker. Forget about who can sing. One wrong question answered and it’s curtains, I tell ya.

As a quick side note- JD’s mom and sis showed up for a surprise visit. It was nice to see a genuine emotional side of JD for a change. JD tells us he grew up as a latchkey kid while his mom worked three jobs to support he and his sister. Putting my tin foil hat on for a second, I wonder if this is producer manipulation?

Have I mentioned how cool Kirk Pengilly is? He’s like that guy on the EF Hutton commercial. When he talks, people listen. Anyhow, he segues us into the interviews. He really wants to see how each rocker handles the questions given to them.

Open Mouth, Insert Foot. Or In Suzie’s Case- Just Open Mouth, Say Nothing
    JD is up first. When confronted about his aura of cockiness for wanting to be the lead singer, JD confesses that he was hiding his insecurities. In the early goings, JD wanted to set himself apart from the masses. Damn, I hate admitting this, but he gives a good interview.

And then…the Trump card. When asked how big his family was he pulled out some pics from his back pocket and passed it around. That was definitely a seal on the deal. At the end, Tim gave JD a packet containing this weeks song selection. If you haven’t heard Pretty Vegas enough, never fear. This week will make a hat trick for the song along with Money- a total kick ass song.

Ahhhh…good ole Mig. I’m thinking he would’ve been better trying out for Air Supply. And the band concurs, he is a nice guy. What worries them is the amount of theater Mig has done. From Rent to West Side Story, Mig has gotten around more than a trollop in Times Square on payday. He is currently in a start-up band called The Mig-nitions *rimshot* and was Randy Badass in Randy Badass and the Slickmaster Five- which gave raised eyebrows amongst the band.

Mig ends the interviewing ensuring that he can be trusted and will give it his all. His song selection for this week are Kiss From A Rose and Paint It Black, the latter eliciting a “killer” response from the boys. Ok, Mig. Let her rip because your time is ticking.

Did you hear that? That was the sound of Marty’s interview entering a flat spin with no chances of getting out of it. Goose and Maverick know all about those and it ain’t pretty. Who knew Marty was a control freak? You could see the looks on the band’s faces as Marty began to dictate in which direction the band should move. “The world now works in singles- people don’t care about records.” He wants to represent INXS but with his voice.

Jon counterattacks mentioning that Marty seems to be dictating how the band should be run and asks Marty if he likes to be in control. “I’m patiently controlling” answers Marty. Oh man, please let this be the magic of editing because I highly doubt a band that’s been together for over two decades is gonna let some new guy who won a reality show suddenly dictate where the band is heading. On a positive note, Marty’s song selection will be Creep by Radiohead and his original song Trees which knocked the bands socks off last week.

I’m going to transcribe Suzies entire interview right now: “I…um…err…like…I…want to…ah…err…I mean I…err…”. The great orator Suzie is not. The fact that she was so easily flustered was cause for concern among the band members. How would she handle press conferences? Or one on one interviews? Her only shining light was that when asked how she saw the band moving, she said that she likes it the way it always has been. It was never broke so there is no need to fix it. Interestingly, we’re not given a peek into Suzie’s song selection for the week.

What follows is a series of sound bytes and random thoughts as the band tries to figure out what the interviews brought to the table. Suzie is the best singer hands down yet raises the most concern regarding media appearances. JD has the most riveting personality yet the band wonders if JD is telling them what he thinks they want to hear. What will happen when the cameras disappear and it’s just the boy’s hanging out? Mig looks like a rock star, but is he a rock star? Marty actually got some praise for having a strong backbone, but as this was being said, some of the other band member’s shifted uncomfortably in their seats.

So…we’re left wondering what the band really thought as we see Marty practicing Creep on his acoustic while the others do their own thing. This gonna be good. Real good.

Ever bombed an interview? Me too! Email me your story at: speedbump@fansofrealitytv.com

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump

Yet, the always humble JD had no concerns for Jordis. He is happy that he got to perform the encore and sing an INXS song. Well, I guess that’s one way to put a positive spin on things. Never mind that America thought you sucked enough to be in the bottom three. *note to self: remember to thank those who didn’t vote for him

Speedy, too many things to point out--but this post was, as always, tres funny! (Especially you're Note to Self!) Thanks for the wonderful recap!

Did you hear that? That was the sound of Marty’s interview entering a flat spin with no chances of getting out of it. Goose and Maverick know all about those and it ain’t pretty.
    This comment floored me, very funny

Very nice recap, Speedy!
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedbump
    Did you hear that? That was the sound of Marty’s interview entering a flat spin with no chances of getting out of it. Goose and Maverick know all about those and it ain’t pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by suncat7
    This comment floored me, very funny

Very nice recap, Speedy!

But the really funny part is I instantly started singing "Pretty Vegas" in my head....
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

Thanks, Speedy, from those of us unable to get the Sunday night shows!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    *note to self: remember to thank those who didn’t vote for him
    You're welcome.

Excellent recap, as always, Speedy.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by PurrpleCat
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedbump

But the really funny part is I instantly started singing "Pretty Vegas" in my head....
    OMG...I did the same thing....!
    Great recap tho!!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

This show rocks, and the recaps always rock too. Thanks speedbump! And I agree with what you said about Kirk -- for some reason, I always pay attention to what he's saying. We never see him doing any pelvic thrusting, so I figure he must be the brains of the operation...

Great recap Speedy. And count me amoung the ones with Pretty Vegas being the background song to your recap. LOL
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Newbie
    Sad about the comment by INXS that MiG was 'too nice'. If he doesn't win because he's 'too nice', this show has been a waste of time. They also said they were worried because he's had so much theatrical stage experience. What do they think lead singers are doing? They're giving theatrical stage performances. Ever watch Mick Jagger and all the other really great lead singers do their thing on stage? They give amazing PERFORMANCES. Are their voices the greatest? Heck no and who cares.
    Everyone agrees Suzie has the best voice, but she doesn't have the performance skills of the other three guys. And that--for better or worse--is what counts. (altho I'd really like to see her win)
    I'm assuming that INXS must realize that MiG was NEVER in the bottom 3 for a reason; we liked his performances. And since we're the ones who will be buying the tickets and CDs, they should take that into account...and maybe, just maybe, a 'nice guy' can finish first for a change.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast