+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Show Discussion 9/11 **SPOILERS**

FORT Newbie
    After last night's show, I wondered if the comments the band made about MiG is their attempt at making good television. You cannot argue with the fact that MiG has stage presence and the fans apparently love him. Yeah, he seems a little bit too tender hearted but is that such a bad thing? Michael Hutchence was a wonderfully sweet man. Yeah, he liked to party hard but he was a great guy. I don't know.

I thought Suzie totally screwed her interview up with the band. She seemed giddy almost to the point of seeming dumb. The interview turned me off of her. I don't see them picking her.

I still think JD is a dark horse because he is a loose cannon and this band has been together for 20+ years, they don't want some young punk coming in and trying to redo everything they have done and that is how I see JD. I absolutely think he is talented but has an attitude problem and they don't want that.

Marty, on the other hand, knows what he wants to do and I think them picking him could go either way. If they want to move into this century with their music, they will pick Marty but if they want to continue what they started with Michael Hutchence and stay in that same exact mode, then they will pick JD or MiG.

I don't know about anyone else but I LOVED last night's show. Seeing the band and listening to them was just awesome. It was the most they have showed them and I thought it was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    BTW. Not for nothing but I've just noticed I've been upgraded on this board from FORT NEWBIE to FORT REGULAR. Somebody congratulate me!
    Congrats, Lois Lane!

I am afraid I have to chime in on MiGs stage presence. I think that when you've performed in musicals for such a long time, and so successfully, "performing" must become ingrained in you and it would be very hard to figure out what part of the act is 'natural' and what part is natural, but totally staged as well because it's just a part of who you are now. It's like when we see some of JDs Elvisisms coming out, although I think he's trying hard to tone that down. Sometimes they just pop out because he's done Elvis so many times. However, JD stopped doing the Elvis show a couple of years ago, I believe, whereas MiG left a musical to come directly to RS:INXS, didn't he say that?

It's not that it's bad, his theatrical moves, but to me it's not roit for OB.

Personally, I think JD's little head-turn, body half-turn, kick the mic stand when CAYA changed from slow to fast was one of the MOST NATURAL moves I've seen any of the singers do on stage, and was totally in the moment, not rehearsed or mechanical. MiG comes across as a good singer playing a rock-star with the requisite rock-star moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    BTW. Not for nothing but I've just noticed I've been upgraded on this board from FORT NEWBIE to FORT REGULAR. Somebody congratulate me!
    OOOHHHH....I wanna be a regular. Guess I need to lurk less and post more.

Didn't anyone else think it a bit unfair for JD to 'score' with Pretty Vegas when all he did was lyrics...the others had to write a totally original song and he got the benefit of INXS music to help most anyone look good.

FORT Fan
    [QUOTE=elkhound]After last night's show, I wondered if the comments the band made about MiG is their attempt at making good television.

After having watched "reality" TV for years, I have come to take what I see on these shows with a grain of salt. It's well known that things are edited out of contex and in wrong time orders so they can make a better story line. I thought this show would be different, until I read LAGuy's report regarding what they did to JD a few weeks ago (the studio recording session with the band).

I'm not sure what their purpose with MiG's story line is - maybe its the heartbreak story of a really nice guy not making it.

From what I've seen, JD's storyline is that of the Prodigal Son. They showed him as this bad boy that had gone astray with the band and the castmates, and now he's starting to be protrayed as having changed his ways (JD: "I'm remembering why I came here") and in more likeable terms (the cake fight, with his mom/sister, showing importance of family to the band, etc.). Perhaps they are setting up his final selection as the new lead singer, just as the father accepted the Prodigal Son when he came home.

Just my "humble" opinion

I have been watching RS:INXS since the second week and I have not posted yet about the show, but after last night's episode and since we are so close to the end, I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I was a teenager in the 80's-90's when INXS were HUGE and I find the comments they are making now hysterical. The fact that they are looking for an "edge" when they have never had one I find odd. They were one of the most innocent seeming groups around. A bunch of pretty boys with a very tame look and sound.

Before this sounds like I am bashing, I am so very not! I LOVED INXS! I had every cassette and posters all over my room of them. I was sure I was going to marry Jon Farriss (or Johnny Depp-it changed from week to week) So I feel like I am taking such a personal investment with this show because I my past (teenage) emotions are involved. I know that sounds lame, but I just can't imagine someone like Suzie or JD winning this show. They both come off as extremely fake.

I don't know who truly is best for the band, because all we see is what producers let us see. But comparing their talent is like apples and oranges and bananas and grapes-all satisfying depending on what I am in the mood for. So, I can only go by what I feel when I think about each contestant fronting my favorite high school band. Suzie and JD would cause me to never want to hear them again. Suzie-because I'd wonder how much time she spent crying to the boys and JD-because I'd wonder how much sucking up and posing he did. Marty and Mig seem to be down-to-earth, respectful and about the music, so I would like to see one of them win.

Okay, I am ready. Bring on the bashing.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    Congrats, Lois Lane!
    Thanks Sweetpea! :-) It's been nice being upgraded ...

Quote Originally Posted by kimrs
    Okay, I am ready. Bring on the bashing.

Kim, welcome! One thing you'll find about this board is that we're all pretty opinionated...a lot of us don't agree with each other...I think I'm the only one here who likes MiG...but we all seem to get along just fine!

I enjoyed reading your post and agree with a lot of it. I grew up listening to INXS, too, and never really thought of them as particularly wild...although I do remember hearing a quote from Kylie Minogue (after she dated Michael Hutchence) and she said something like, "I was really an innocent (sexually) until I met Michael."

I also remember reading a story in Rolling Stone (or was in Spin?) about how Michael was looking at a drawing a fan had given him, and the other guys were laughing at him because the girl who drew it gave him muscles (pecs, abs and the like) and they were obviously insinunating that Michael didn't have a rock hard bod.

Anyhow, I'll be tuned in tomorrow to see what happens. I really hope MiG doesn't crash and burn with "Paint It Black."

Quote Originally Posted by tbeckett
    OOOHHHH....I wanna be a regular. Guess I need to lurk less and post more.

Didn't anyone else think it a bit unfair for JD to 'score' with Pretty Vegas when all he did was lyrics...the others had to write a totally original song and he got the benefit of INXS music to help most anyone look good.
    Didn't they all receive the same music (INXS written) and had to go away and write a song to go with it? I seem to remember the purpose of the clinic was to get the music and then work on lyrics and arrangement. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    Didn't they all receive the same music (INXS written) and had to go away and write a song to go with it? I seem to remember the purpose of the clinic was to get the music and then work on lyrics and arrangement. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?
    Yes, they all had INXS's music and then they split up into 2 teams to work on the lyrics.

Marty, Jessica, JD and Jordis worked on a song together and the other team was comprised of Ty, MiG, Deena and Suzie.

INXS didn't really like Team Ty's collaboration--a pop ditty called "Stop Go!" that someone (INXS or Navarro?) likened to a kiddie show song.

JD and Jordis were competing to have their lyrics on the song. Marty (who was the team captain) sided with Jordis (his best friend on the show). JD got mad and said he wasn't going to work with them. At the clinic, INXS asked JD to perform his composition and they liked his the best.

Truth be told, I liked JD's version the best, too. Though if I never hear "Pretty Vegas" again, I won't be crying...

But the other original songs the contestants sang were done without any input from INXS (though Deeana and Ty collaborated; just like Jordis had help from Marty), so I think whoever talked about JD having an unfair advantage was talking about that--they didn't have INXS to write their music for them...
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 09-12-2005 at 02:06 PM.

Yeah, tbeckett-- I've been complaining to my husband all along about JD getting to sing his 'original' song ... when his original part of it is only the words. I think they should have to present an original song they wrote lyrics and music to. That said, I do like Pretty Vegas, so dont think I'm a JD hater. I was more impressed with Trees because it was ALL Martys.

You know, I've wondered about Trees though. Hasn't Marty been performing that song for a long time as a part of LH? Do we know for a fact that the song was ALL Marty and the rest of the band had nothing to do with writing it?

+ Reply to Thread