+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no Pearl Jam songs?

FORT Fan

Why no Pearl Jam songs?

Does anyone know why we haven't heard any Pearl Jam songs? It seems kind of strange given the fact that we've seen several Nirvana songs, and hell, even a Creed song. But no Pearl Jam at all.

Are Pearl Jam refusing to let their songs be used? If so, it actually kind of surprises me that the show hasn't encounter that problem more. I mean, they have been able to play a lot of great songs from a legendary bands.

Nope. No good reason, but there are many bands missing from this mix. What about Led Zeppelin (who should get props well before PJ any day), Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, The Beach Boys, Prince, etc? I suspect that there were problems with many bands in getting rights to their songs. That can be the only explanation for so many omissions.

They can't always get permission to sing certain songs. I've never heard a Beatles song on Idol & they didn't have any on this show so I imagine their rights aren't available. Pearl Jam sounds like the type of song they would want to get so I imagine the rights aren't available.

I am glad there's no Pearl Jam. We don't have many sacred rockers in the last decade or two. I would like to preserve Eddie Vader as a sacred voice.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    Eddie Vader
    "Jeremy... I am your father"

With how much Pearl Jam is against online music trading because of lost revenue, I wouldn't be suprised at all if they wanted to be paid for the rights to sing their songs.

FORT Fogey
    I don't even know what Pearl Jam is!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by CdnINXSFan
    They can't always get permission to sing certain songs. I've never heard a Beatles song on Idol & they didn't have any on this show so I imagine their rights aren't available. Pearl Jam sounds like the type of song they would want to get so I imagine the rights aren't available.
    Well you'd think with all the financial problems Michael Jackson is supposedly having (he owns the rights to the Beatles songs) he'd let them sing them. He'd be getting paid for it. Or is Mark Burnett not wanting to pay a lot in royalties?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin
    "Jeremy... I am your father"

With how much Pearl Jam is against online music trading because of lost revenue, I wouldn't be suprised at all if they wanted to be paid for the rights to sing their songs.
    I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that when any song is performed on tv, radio or even a bar band, that royalties are paid to the person or persons who own the songs. I think it states that if money is being made from the performance of the song, they have to pay royalties. Well certainly money is being made on RS as they have commercials and commercial time fees are figured on the popularity of the show. Burnett's making money or he wouldn't do it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    Well you'd think with all the financial problems Michael Jackson is supposedly having (he owns the rights to the Beatles songs) he'd let them sing them. He'd be getting paid for it. Or is Mark Burnett not wanting to pay a lot in royalties?
    Australian Idol had a Beatles night. I've never heard any Beatles song on American or Canadian Idol and I can't imagine that they wouldn't be sung at some point by someone. I know the Beatles were very particular about their songs being used for commercials etc. so maybe those restrictions still apply whether Michael Jackson wants to sell the rights or not. It's strange that they were able to sing Beatles in Australia though.

Michael Jackson songs do get sung on that show (not that it would be on this one).

FORT Newbie
    i for one am profoundly glad INXS hasn't done a beatles night. I may be the only one in the world that thinks this way but I am convinced that the beatles are not anywhere near as talented or profound as they are cracked up to be. I believe they just happened to be in the right time and place in the grand sweep of popular culture and profitted enormously from what little (and I do mean little) talent they did have.

flame away if you like but that's my stand and I'm sticking with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast